You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Woodruff & Schnibble = Goblins 4

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #1

Default Woodruff & Schnibble = Goblins 4

I was looking on the vintage Siarra adventure site and they had Woodruff and the Schnibble under the Gobblins section and actually labeled it Goblins 4. Is this true?
Old 05-02-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

I feel like this has come up before but I can't find the thread. Anyway, no, I don't think it's a sequel. It was made by Coktel Vision, though, which is the same company that made the Goblins games (Sierra was just the publisher for these).
Old 05-02-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Explorer

Yeah I would not call it Goblins 4 either, it isn't. It just happens to be a Coktel game in a very similar style to the Goblins games, if I remember correctly.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #4
Bad command or file name

The only thing similar between the Gobliiins and TBAOWATS (geeze, even abrev'd it's a long name. ) is that they used a similar art direction. Basically the characters were drawn the same way. Gobliins was always about using the characters to solve more or less self-contained puzzles. TBAOWATS is more of a classic adventure game where you need to talk to people, loot everything, and explore different locals. I'm really semimetal about those Coktel Vision classics... They were just so damn charming and fun... Oh geeze, I need to boot those games back up again! I'm getting all whispy.

*sniff sniff*

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 05:21 AM   #5

I have this game, but never played it too much cause I hate Coktel Vision's style (never considered it to be a Sierra game, unlike Dynamix's game). I understand why people think that WATSOA a.k.a. TBAOWATS is Goblins 4 (thought so myself for years, that's why it took me awhile to get it, cause I don't consider the Goblins games to be adventure games), but as said above, it's very incorrect. In fact, I think it has much more in common with a relatively unknown Coktail Vision game from the early nineties - Bargon Attack (which to me felt like a side-scroller arcade with inventory puzzles instead of jumping/shooting, but still more closer to a 3rd person adventure than Goblins). WATSOA is probably the closest thing to a normal point n' click 3rd person adventure game that Coktel Vision ever made.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:07 AM   #6
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

WHOA i remember Gobliiins !!! what a great game.. its all flooding back to me...

in another thread im being educated on the topic of freeware and old games... is the goblin series available as such?

and does it run on XP?

GoT
Old 05-03-2006, 07:52 AM   #7

actually Woodruff nothing like Goblins4 - it is much better.
first of all it's a true adventure (while goblins1&2 were somwhere in the way to be realadventures)
second... it has great humor (both graphic humor and more subtle humor), great graphics, it's very very challanging , and ithas those wierd yet logical puzzels we all love

oh. and b.t.w the game isnot in the Goblins' world, and Woodruff is actually not a goblin - he's a bozuk (which is a mutant if youv'e asked)
Old 05-03-2006, 09:19 AM   #8
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I've played Gobliiins, Gobliins 2, and Goblins 3 (they actually remove one "i" with every title. Spiffy! Also, the number of "i"'s seems to be the number of goblin player characters.). I only ever completed Goblins 3 (I didn't really complete Gobliiins because it was quite difficult. They'd freak out too much, and then die. Gobliins 2 I nearly finished, but something seems to have been wrong with my game, and I was unable to finish the last puzzle in the Throne Room at the end. It's a pity, because I really enjoyed that game). I also have a copy of "Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth". It's not a fourth Goblins game.

TheGreyMatter, Woodruff is *not* a Boozook. He's a human, albeit a teenager (which I agree, sometimes could be a considered a species of its own, but we all know they're human. It does explain his exaggerated appearance, though...kidding!). Here's a picture of the cover, showing Woodruff talking to a Boozook:

As I remember, Woodruff is the (infant) son of Professor Azimuth. When his father gets kidnapped by the government, Woodruff gets zapped by an invention (The Schnibble, which is an invention that the Professor worked on to change the course of time) that advances his body to that of a teenager, but his mind is still that of an infant, making him interact with the world like an infant would (he doesn't understand some things, of course), while other people see him as an adult which is very naïve. Woodruff has only few memories at the beginning of the game, and you have to help him remember, and then find his father and the Schnibble. Also, since Woodruff was an infant that had not yet been taught to read, he is unable to read.

The setting is that of a world where humans had retreated underground to survive. When they return to the surface, they find that there is a new, mutant race living on the surface: The peaceful Boozooks. The humans react like they do so often, and fight the Boozooks until the race can be oppressed and used for the humans own purposes.

Professor Azimuth was working on the Schnibble to help the Boozooks, of course calling the wrath of the government upon him (which leads us back to my second paragraph).

I found the game quite serious (though still funny. Satire, you know.), and quite hard. I could sadly not finish it, because at one point it always crashed.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:24 AM   #9
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Isn't it supposed to be full of illogical puzzles or something? I'm sure I remember reading complaints from around the time of release .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #10
gin soaked boy

Me too. The Gobliiins games were pure gold, by the way.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Isn't it supposed to be full of illogical puzzles or something? I'm sure I remember reading complaints from around the time of release .
Well, they're not exactly illogical (they more or less make sense within the context of the game). They're just plain unenjoyable.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 05-03-2006, 10:41 AM   #12
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
Well, they're not exactly illogical (they more or less make sense within the context of the game). They're just plain unenjoyable.

Not really unenjoyable. I'd call them something like "bloody hard".

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #13

I found them to be both.

The puzzles in Lost in Time were also awfully hard, as were those in the Discworld games or in The Feeble Files, but I still enjoyed solving them (and was happy when I finally figured out what to do). The puzzles in Woodruff just drove me angry. Just like the whole game, really. I think I really hate it.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 05-03-2006, 10:58 AM   #14
capsized.

Gignio. Gignio. Arragnaaraa. Gignio. Doboo, dooboo!!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:59 AM   #15
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I played a bit of Goblins 3 way back in the past. I should probably take a look at Woodruff at some point.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

With this forum you do not need to feel like a deranged outcast because you like the games you do... I played through Gobliiins, Gobliins and Goblins during the last week (first time I finished them all)! I have tried to begin Woodruff but it refused to run. But ohwell. Other games to play.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #17
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey

I played a bit of Goblins 3 way back in the past. I should probably take a look at Woodruff at some point.
I've never finished the first two Gobliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ns games, and have never played that "Schnibble Of Azimuth" thingie (LOL. That name alone.. ), either but the third game is just wicked. In a "What would it be like being a flea on somebody's head" kind of way. What were they smoking? You just gotta love games like these. I know I do!
Old 05-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #18
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Oh man a Gobliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiins game would be Awesome
Old 05-03-2006, 04:01 PM   #19
capsized.

That'd be sort of like "Lemmings", but more, eh, ...breakdancing (probably). Damn, double-post, and the delete-button isn't working. For me.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #20
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Nah it would be less falling off cliffs and more spazzing out cause you tried to use a stick in the wrong place....

Just as much suicide though