You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure what old game would you like remade?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
Proletarian

Send a message via ICQ to rocketpop Send a message via MSN to rocketpop Send a message via Yahoo to rocketpop
Default what old game would you like remade?

I know some purists don't ever like remakes, but I saw the petition to get snatcher remade, and was thinking: What game would/could be awesome to have a new version of?

One that came to mind was "Laura Bow: The Colonels Bequest". It was one of those sierra games that required typing your commands--it was ROUGH. It had some wierd aspects to it, but I don't think the engine/interface/graphics did the plot and story justice. I'd love to see this remade.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
Easily amused

I think a RealRiven would be nice.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Conquests of Camelot.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
is not wierd

Wasteland because I'm curious to try it.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
More slaw!!!

Conquests of Camelot or Space Quest 3 in real time 3D!
Old 03-15-2006, 05:06 PM   #6
Staff Member

I think re-makes in games, just like in films, are best when they take a fairly successful (but not classic) game and put a new twist on it. Check out "Ovine by design"'s free remakes of classic puzzle/adventure "imogen" and adventure/early fps "cholo".
Old 03-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #7

I like the laura bow idea, but I'd rather see the dagger of amon ra. But maybe a little more sensible puzzles/ending.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Joshua
I like the laura bow idea, but I'd rather see the dagger of amon ra. But maybe a little more sensible puzzles/ending.
Did you see AGs review and the accompanying thread?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

MI2 remastered, those water colours would look awesome!
Old 03-15-2006, 06:00 PM   #10
Proletarian

Send a message via ICQ to rocketpop Send a message via MSN to rocketpop Send a message via Yahoo to rocketpop

The great thing about adventure games is that, because of the story and puzzles, a revamped graphic engine and interface can open them up to a whole new generation.

All of these suggestions would be great.

The dagger of aman ra would be a good choice, as stated, but its graphics were already considerably better than Colonels Bequest, if I remember.

What about some of those "manhunter" games? Anybody remember those? I think I had manhunter NY, and got stuck...
Old 03-15-2006, 07:40 PM   #11
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Why not go for the real classics? I'd love to see graphic versions of the original Zork text games. They have well-developed storylines and all sorts of interesting puzzles built right in, but a whole generation of gamers can't or won't play them because they have a clunky and infuriating text-based interface.

Share the love.

<3
Old 03-15-2006, 11:17 PM   #12

It's not exactly a pure adventure game, but I would love to see a remake of Realms of the Haunting with upgraded graphics (and maybe one or two changes in the actual gameplay and interface).
Old 03-16-2006, 12:27 AM   #13
Barroom hero

"Below the root" would be a great console game!
"Neuromancer" would be great with good graphics and a revamped interface.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:23 AM   #14
Writer-Designer

Day of the Tentacle using the Psychonauts engine.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:27 AM   #15
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
I think a RealRiven would be nice.
No, you'd have to take out the animal puzzles.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:53 AM   #16
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince
Day of the Tentacle using the Psychonauts engine.
Hell yeah!

Also I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream in a Silent Hill-ish engine.

And LBA and LBA2, but Raynal already said that might happen if LBA3 sells well.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:59 AM   #17
merely human

The Gabriel Knight series using the Source engine with all the bells and whistles, minus the stupid cat hair + syrup puzzle.

The Messenger, but using the same engine as Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory or the Thief: Deadly Shadows engine (with sliding scale difficulty levels if you're an adventure gamer who sucks at stealth, unlike me ).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-16-2006, 03:32 AM   #18
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
The Gabriel Knight series using the Source engine with all the bells and whistles, minus the stupid cat hair + syrup puzzle.

The Messenger, but using the same engine as Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory or the Thief: Deadly Shadows engine (with sliding scale difficulty levels if you're an adventure gamer who sucks at stealth, unlike me ).
Source engine? How about the new Unreal 3 Engine Everybody would buy GK if it was made with the new Unreal 3 Engine. Check out: www.unrealtechnology.com. It looks amazing

For now I would settle for 1 program that can run ALL my adventure games in XP. As much as I love DOSBOX and VDM Sound, I still can't run every adventure game www.gametap.com looks promising like FOV pointed out in her article but I'm digressing.

There are several games I would like to see remade; Fate of Atlantis, GK 2 with DVD quality FMV, Tex Murphy series with a proper 3D engine... Still, I think most adventure games age really well. Games like TLJ, MI3 etc still look amazing!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:48 AM   #19

For years, my first pick would have been Cholo. Granted, as far as classics go it was wildly ahead of it's time, almost prescient in its resemblance to today's games, which may ruin the novelty for some, but I always would have liked to have seen it on hardware that could handle it properly.

Now, the new remake has made that wish obsolete. Which is nice. One of these days, I'll even get around to trying it.

So now I need a new wish. Have to think about it for a minute.

I think I'll go with Starglider II. The epic scope of it would be so much more grand with faster 3D, detailed graphics, and improved sound. A few others come to mind as well. Tau Ceti could use a remake, the original is rather muddy and it is difficult to tell what is going on. I only pick Starglider II over it because it's a better game.

I would like to see a remake of sorts of How to be a Complete Bastard, but only if the new game has a proper interface. The original was conceptually and even graphically quite interesting, but has the absolute worst gameplay imaginable. Simply moving around a room is an exercise in masochism, actually trying to play the damn thing is an absolute nightmare.

Now, if you want enhanced remakes, with added optional features to make a bigger, better, more elaborate game based on the original, then the way to go would be with the greatest game of all time. Show us what more powerful machines can do with it.

By "greatest game of all time," I mean, of course, Elite.

And finally, if it's sequels in the same vein as the original that are called for, then something like the Epyx multi-event sport games, such as Summer Games, Winter Games, and World Games is called for. They were so very well done, with great production values, all sorts of extra added touches, and superlative gameplay that made all of the joystick-waggling sport games obsolete in an instant.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:57 AM   #20
Shady AGP

Send a message via AIM to Wreck

Loom. Remastered, and much longer. More detail thrown into the plot. I'd be out of work for a week playing the game.
www.josephgoss.com