You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Ideas for future AG Community Playthroughs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 03:02 AM   #41
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
I kind of like the idea of playing older games , not only because there are many that I've never experienced, but because it gives me a different perspective. I would think that young, newish gamers may need some encouragement to try something that is graphically archaic to what is available today. It also helps exemplify the fact that the 'look' of an adventure is not really what counts. Crude graphics and MIDI audio can be overshadowed by a good story with interesting challenges.
I didn't mean *older* games, playing older games is great! No, I meant the real classics, like Grim, that most people here have already played.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:17 AM   #42
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Well if it does turn out to be sanitarium then anyone in the UK and europe could check this guy out, hes got 50 copies for sale pretty cheap
Old 01-17-2006, 03:30 AM   #43

I'd vote for 'The Last Express', as maybe then I'd get around to completing it! It'd be nice for people to talk about conversations and encounters that they had that other people hadn't. That is assuming that enough people own copies...
Old 01-17-2006, 06:50 AM   #44
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Moriarty: Not necessarily. I wanted three different threads to have some choice. Not everyone likes or wants to bother with playing Myst-style games (like myself, I admit) or Amateur games (like AudioSoldier, it seems)... on the flipside, some people love Myst-style games primarily (like Colpet, it seems), or they don't own the commercial games we pick but have no problems downloading a free amateur game.

So I felt like if I just had one game going at a time rotating between the three "game styles", some people might feel left out not getting to play at least one game with everybody.

But there's still time, so I'm open to suggestions on the matter.

Fienepien: I guess it's because it's hard to have a good discussion unless there's a critical mass of people who own the game and can play it... and thanks to it being hard as hell to buy most older games, it's generally the classics that lots of people own. I can think of a few "non-classic" games that I wouldn't mind discussing, but I know it's likely that hardly anyone owns them and they're hard to buy (like The Space Bar).

And I want to stick to older games personally, since the reason I started this idea is because some people were sad that there wasn't a lot of discussion of older games.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 01-17-2006, 10:24 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
I think running it under DOSBox was rather 'standard procedure', but maybe I've forgotten something (I seem to remember the installation was a mess, though, and I think I more or less ended up putting the whole CD on my hard drive and editing the config file by hand). It is quite resource-demanding, though.

And it really has nothing in common with Myst.
I tried running it on DosBox, but it wasn't really playable, mainly because it wasn't fluid at all (perhaps I didn't fiddle with the frame rate enough).
Also, my main gripe with RoML are the voices. The french ones are, well, I can't find words to express how awful they are, but even the english ones are cheesy. IMO, IMO, IMO.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I tried running it on DosBox, but it wasn't really playable, mainly because it wasn't fluid at all (perhaps I didn't fiddle with the frame rate enough).
Certainly.

Quote:
Also, my main gripe with RoML are the voices. The french ones are, well, I can't find words to express how awful they are, but even the english ones are cheesy. IMO, IMO, IMO.
IMT, IMT, IMT.
(and the fact that even the English version was dubbed didn't help)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 01-18-2006, 12:40 AM   #47

Quote:
Certainly.
I tried to, though, but it was either too slow, or not fluid.

Anyway...

Any Legend game would be great for a community playthrough, but I guess not enough people own one of those.

So I'm partial to a Lucas Arts adventure. Not much of a discovery, for sure, but they're always nice to play, and even nicer to discuss.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:00 AM   #48
Freeware Co-ordinator

For commercial game I'm with the idea of Full Throttle. Splits up into nice easy chunks and I'm sure I've run it on my XP machine. I think that's a consideration. Ideally we want something that will run on a variety of platforms without too much diffiiculty (Sanitarium will not run on XP without some work for example)

For Amateur game I agree with the suggestion of 5 days a stranger. The advantage of amateur games like this is that it's definitely freely available (meaning everyone who wants to can get a copy) and it's fairly easy to get to run (meaning no-one should have a problem playing it) The 5 days gives you handy stopping points and, if it proves popular, you can always follow it up with the sequel, 7 days a Sceptic.

Not sure about Myst-type games (apart from Myst itself which I have) Like Jeysie I'm not really in a position to add to my games collection at the moment
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 01-18-2006, 01:03 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
(Sanitarium will not run on XP without some work for example)
Can't remember having any trouble...

I'm not really fond of Full Throttle, so... But yeah, it would fit the bill.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:38 AM   #50
woof

I'm gonna suggest DOTT again
Old 01-18-2006, 04:03 AM   #51
Easily amused

Oh, I forgot about DOTT. I've never played it.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:06 AM   #52
Senior *female* member

Quote:
IMO, IMO, IMO.
Hey! I hold the copyrights to the imo, imo, imo thingy. That will be one dollar please. And don't you dare give me any crap about the difference between capitals and undercast.

PS:
Old 01-18-2006, 04:38 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
Hey! I hold the copyrights to the imo, imo, imo thingy. That will be one dollar please. And don't you dare give me any crap about the difference between capitals and undercast.

PS:
Yeah, but the stood for "copyrighted by Fienepien".

Anyway, I suggest not picking DOTT for a playthrough, because it's not linear enough, and therefore would require a lot of work from the "thread master".
Old 01-18-2006, 05:55 AM   #54
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Can't remember having any trouble...

I'm not really fond of Full Throttle, so... But yeah, it would fit the bill.
The original version of Sanitarium (as opposed to the rerelease) had compatibility problems with XP. This is the version I have (Having found it on eBay and played it under Win98 previously)

See these help threads.

If the vote does go to Sanitarium anyone buying it "new" will need to be careful about which version they get.

EDIT There might be similar issues with The Last Express see here.

Cold Topic

Last edited by stepurhan; 01-18-2006 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:31 PM   #55
Codger

Ultimately somebody must make a decision. On any of the three threads. Please do so, so the interested parties can go about the task of acquiring the game(s).
Old 01-18-2006, 07:38 PM   #56
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Well, I trolled through the list, and here's what we have so far...

Note: The number in parenthesis is how many "nominations" the game got. The stars before the titles indicate that I own the game (just as a "warning" of possibly needing thread caretaker volunteers... heh)

Commercial games:

* The Dig (5)
* Gabriel Knight 1 (5)
* Grim Fandango (5)
* Full Throttle (3)
The Last Express (3)
* Sanitarium (3)
* Blade Runner (2)
Conquests of the Longbow (2)
* Day of the Tentacle (2)
Faust (2)
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes (2)
* Sam & Max Hit the Road (2)
Shadow of Destiny (2)
The Arrival
Eye of the Kraken
Feeble Files
Inherit the Earth
Legend of Kyrandia
Liath
The Quivering
Riddle of Master Lu
Torin's Passage

Myst-style games:

Myst (2)
Obsidian (2)
Assassin
Blue Ice
Last Half of Darkness
Legends of the Prophet
* Lightbringer
Lighthouse
Martian Chronicles
Rhem
Shivers
Zork: Nemesis

Amateur games:

5 Days a Stranger is the only game that got a nomination, so I'm guessing this section is pretty well decided... (Well, somebody did gripe at me about excluding remakes and nominated KQ2VGA... maybe for a later thread.)

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."

Last edited by Jeysie; 01-18-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:50 AM   #57
woof

I would have though DOTT would have got more votes...but please ANYTHING but the Dig
*shudder*
Old 01-19-2006, 02:03 AM   #58
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
I would have though DOTT would have got more votes...but please ANYTHING but the Dig
*shudder*
DOTT is a great game but its not well-suited to a community based playthrough because you can solve most of the puzzles in any order (once you've got use of all 3 characters)

I'm up for The DIg, GK1 or Grim Fandango as I have all these already. Anyone know of installation/running issues on any of these on XP? Might help with the decider if one is easier to get running on most platforms.

Cold Topic

Old 01-19-2006, 02:08 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
Well, I trolled through the list, and here's what we have so far...

Note: The number in parenthesis is how many "nominations" the game got. The stars before the titles indicate that I own the game (just as a "warning" of possibly needing thread caretaker volunteers... heh)

[...]
Well, the world's probably not coming to an end any time soon, so there should be time for several playthroughs before that, and therefore little need to make the next one the 'perfect choice'.

At the end of the day, what really matters is whether there'll be enough people following the thread. We've been eight regulars (or semi-regulars) for BASS, and it's worked rather well. I imagine that chairing something like that must take quite some time, so I think you should really pick the one (among the various suggestions) you most feel like doing, and then people who think they're going to participate in the playthrough should say so; and if there are enough of them, well, that should be it (and if there's one that people really want to play and you can't, or don't want to, take care of it, I'm sure there'll be efficient torture methods ways to find a volunteer).

Once again, you've done some tremendous work on getting this idea to work, on organising the BASS thread and in collecting new ideas here, so I don't want to pressure you. But my games are spread across three places, two of which I don't go to often; and buying old games in Europe is not that easy; so I'd really like to at least have an idea what the next one will be soon enough.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 01-19-2006, 02:13 AM   #60

Quote:
Well, the world's probably not coming to an end any time soon, so there should be time for several playthroughs before that, and therefore little need to make the next one the 'perfect choice'.

At the end of the day, what really matters is whether there'll be enough people following the thread. We've been eight regulars (or semi-regulars) for BASS, and it's worked rather well. I imagine that chairing something like that must take quite some time, so I think you should really pick the one (among the various suggestions) you most feel like doing, and then people who think they're going to participate in the playthrough should say so; and if there are enough of them, well, that should be it (and if there's one that people really want to play and you can't, or don't want to, take care of it, I'm sure there'll be efficient torture methods ways to find a volunteer).
Agreed.