You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Grim Fandango arrived at my house today....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane
Default Grim Fandango arrived at my house today....

...And on my Virtual PC program it runs excellently. Only problem is sound tends to stutter in cutscenes, though I can easily look past that.

Other than that I'm extremely impressed with the game. The story is deeply interesting, as so far I find it best thing in the game. The characters are likeable, the atmosphere is tied down, and the inovation of the plot itself is jawdropping.

Right now, I'm not very far into the game, but I find myself constantly exploring my company complex a TON. I really want to see some of the 100 other locations in the game the back of the jewel case mentions. I'm guessing eventually the game kicks in, and you're given more freedom as to where to explore?

I also really wanted to see the petfifed forest, but was dissapointed to hear that Manny doesn't ever feel like walking that far of a distance.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #2

Quote:
I also really wanted to see the petfifed forest, but was dissapointed to hear that Manny doesn't ever feel like walking that far of a distance.
give it some time, you'll see it soon enough
Old 01-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #3
Translate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneho Chane
...And on my Virtual PC program it runs excellently. Only problem is sound tends to stutter in cutscenes, though I can easily look past that.
That's happened for me, too, on some real PCs I've played it on, so it probably has little to do with emulation on your fast machine. Sometimes adjusting the hardware acceleration of the (in your case, emulated) sound card down a notch or two may help.

Quote:
I'm guessing eventually the game kicks in, and you're given more freedom as to where to explore?
Yeah. Once you get into Act II, the game really opens up a lot. You're in for a real treat!

Cheers,
doroposo
Old 01-06-2006, 12:20 AM   #4

Great game ... have fun playing it for the very first time.

Dusty
Old 01-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Rayvielle Send a message via MSN to Rayvielle

There really isn't a lot like it out there, not even 7 years later. Same with Psychonauts.

That's kinda why Tim Schafer is up there with iconic legend like Zeus and has his statue carved out of stone to represent his immortality.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:12 PM   #6
Lost in Adventure

I'm on year 4 now, almost done . Try to beat it without consulting any walkthroughs, it's worth it! And I don't say that about any old game...
Old 01-19-2006, 10:19 AM   #7

I was so annoyed with the forklift puzzle. I just couldn't seem to figure out how to do it. Turned out I was doing the right thing, only the game ran too fast, even on the P3 450 I was playing it on. At a later point the game even crashes. Then I installed the patch and everything was fine. Haven't tried it on my P4 2.66 yet, but I'm hoping the patch will still work.

I also spent lots of time in the office building, but got it right eventually. You should be able to get out of there without looking at a walkthru.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #8

Grim Fandango. Just thinking about it makes me smile. It's now easily my favrite adventure.

The second act is pure greatness!
Old 01-19-2006, 03:30 PM   #9

And Rubacava (sp?) is the best adventure location I've ever seen... Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful and beautiful (the last beautiful refers to the music).

And I didn't enjoy the crane puzzle at all.... too much walking around just to see what you've accomplished....
Old 01-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #10
Lost in Adventure

Hey, all Grim Fandango fans, what's your favorite year?

Mine was Year 2, hard to pick though. I liked how stylish this year was, and how it reflected and alluded to period films (many of which I probably missed).

Spoiler:
Lots of moments made me smile, like when Glottis had the gambling problem, you lock the claustrophobic French waiter in the pantry, Lola babbles when she's about to "die", Lupe - the overly energetic coat clerk, Chowchilla Charlie, Carla talking incessantly after taking Manny into the backroom to "strip-search" him.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 01-20-2006 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Converted spoiler to spoiler tags
Old 01-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Year 2 is very popular I loved it too.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:53 AM   #12

year 2 was so awesome
Old 01-20-2006, 10:05 AM   #13
Homer of Kittens

Quote:

Other than that I'm extremely impressed with the game. The story is deeply interesting, as so far I find it best thing in the game. The characters are likeable, the atmosphere is tied down, and the inovation of the plot itself is jawdropping.

Right now, I'm not very far into the game, but I find myself constantly exploring my company complex a TON. I really want to see some of the 100 other locations in the game the back of the jewel case mentions. I'm guessing eventually the game kicks in, and you're given more freedom as to where to explore?

Turn off hyperthreading. It should solve your sound stuttering problem.

Firefox rules