You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Monkey Island 2: Holy shit, Sparkey, I forgot how great that game was!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2003, 11:15 AM   #1
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester
Default Monkey Island 2: Holy shit, Sparkey, I forgot how great that game was!

Man, that game is so horribly underrated! It is one of the greatest adventure games of all time! I started playing it yesterday because I was bored and hungry and didn't feel like going shopping a day before leaving. So I powered up the computer (well, actually it was on already) in the interest of playing something to forget I'm hungry...

And curious thing, I have the Monkey Maddness CD and, as you may know, the option to play the easy version was never presented. Well, I tried it through SCUMM VM - that beeing the only way to really play old LEC games nowadays - when lo and behold! a screen with the lamo copy protection asked me for the password... I hadn't seen that copy protection screen for ten years. So it happens that any random code would work and that I could choose to play the easy game - which was not much fun - but the harder game, man, that... that... that really rocked... and... uh... I think I am shedding a tear...

Such a great game. The best one in the series. The second greatest adventure game evre (sic).
Old 12-12-2003, 11:27 AM   #2
Under pressure.

Yes, a fantastic game. I think we've played and discussed it so many times, it doesn't feel special anymore.

It's like when you just bought a new 21" monitor. The first few months it will look huge, but after a while you get used to it and it doesn't look *that* big anymore.

--Erwin
Old 12-12-2003, 11:31 AM   #3
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

It's definetely one of the best adventure games ever made, and far better than any of the other games in the MI series.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 12-12-2003, 11:39 AM   #4
Antibacterial

Send a message via MSN to RemiO

Yeah, one of my very favorites, no matter what certain top 20s say.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:24 PM   #5
rock star

Send a message via ICQ to myhrik Send a message via MSN to myhrik

Yes, it's true...

MI2 is the best in the series for me too... Man, how great it is... Those graphics... so beautiful... and the story, the humour... just the overall feel of the game... it's magical. And it has some of the best interactive music in a game ever!

"You've just gottta live with ushing the deadlies." -deadworm222
Old 12-12-2003, 03:47 PM   #6
Banned User

So... when are all the jerks who complain about the ending going to post here?
Old 12-12-2003, 04:12 PM   #7
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemiO
Yeah, one of my very favorites, no matter what certain top 20s say.
I love it how some people peg the Top 20 as some sort of insult to their favorite game.

- Evan

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 12-12-2003, 05:16 PM   #8
Antibacterial

Not just insult on my favorite game, but an insult on good taste. ;-*
Old 12-12-2003, 09:24 PM   #9
Jumping peanut on a stick

Is MI 2 underrated
Agree it's a great game. I prefer it to the first one
Old 12-12-2003, 11:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Man, that game is so horribly underrated! It is one of the greatest adventure games of all time! I started playing it yesterday because I was bored and hungry and didn't feel like going shopping a day before leaving. So I powered up the computer (well, actually it was on already) in the interest of playing something to forget I'm hungry...

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for this game. I've finished it about 30 times at least, used to make a point to play it at least twice a year, but I haven't played it for about 2 years now .. maybe it's about time ...
Old 12-12-2003, 11:35 PM   #11
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:

And curious thing, I have the Monkey Maddness CD and, as you may know, the option to play the easy version was never presented. Well, I tried it through SCUMM VM - that beeing the only way to really play old LEC games nowadays - when lo and behold! a screen with the lamo copy protection asked me for the password... I hadn't seen that copy protection screen for ten years. So it happens that any random code would work and that I could choose to play the easy game - which was not much fun - but the harder game, man, that... that... that really rocked... and... uh... I think I am shedding a tear...

Such a great game. The best one in the series. The second greatest adventure game evre (sic).
:eek:
It had hard and easy mode? I thought that was in MK III? Or do you mean there is a harder version of the game?
Man, it has been a long time since I played, but I promised my self to so less replaying classics I've played 20 times and start playing the ones I haven't finished yet....
Old 12-12-2003, 11:48 PM   #12
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray

Quote:

Amen!
Old 12-13-2003, 04:31 AM   #13
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
:eek:
It had hard and easy mode? I thought that was in MK III? Or do you mean there is a harder version of the game?
Yes it has an easier mode and a harder mode, although in MI2 it's "normal" and "easy" as opposed to the "normal" and "hard" options in MI3. The budget rereleases didn't have the option (you ended up on the 'normal' game automatically), but running them through ScummVM makes the option reappear.

MI2's easy mode is a bit rubbish because it skips some of the more amusing bits of the game, whereas MI3's "hard mode" just took existing bits and made them a bit harder. It's worth a look if you've never seen it before, though.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:36 AM   #14
Antibacterial

You do, however, also get one or two different jokes in 'Easy' mode (like how Wally gets you out of the torture chamber pit thingy), so I guess it's worth playing if you're a rabbid fanboy.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:20 AM   #15
A Servicable Villain

I didn't like the easy-mode because a lot of the items you could pick up wouldn't be used. This gave off the impression (rightly so!) that you were missing a big part of the game, and it just looked sloppy and like the game had a heap of loose ends.
Thus, the hard mode is highly recommended.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:23 AM   #16
Headbanger

One of the best games ever made in my opinion.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:41 AM   #17
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
I didn't like the easy-mode because a lot of the items you could pick up wouldn't be used. This gave off the impression (rightly so!) that you were missing a big part of the game, and it just looked sloppy and like the game had a heap of loose ends.
Thus, the hard mode is highly recommended.
There was a couple of needless objects in a "hardcore" version as well, like
Spoiler:
half of the crap you could buy in an antique shop.

Anyway, I've got to agree:
MI2 is the best in the series and, boy, what a great ending it has!
And I played it for the first time only a month ago!
Old 12-13-2003, 07:38 AM   #18
Dessert

The holy grail of adventure games, imo.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:01 PM   #19
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Since its redudntant to restate how great the game is, what about the music???

It had, and still has, the greatest music, and integration of music, in any game, EVER. I'd love to hear an audio recording of someone playing through the whole game, song after song, smoothly flowing into each other in one infinite medley....
Old 12-13-2003, 06:50 PM   #20
Disciplined Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
Since its redudntant to restate how great the game is, what about the music???

It had, and still has, the greatest music, and integration of music, in any game, EVER. I'd love to hear an audio recording of someone playing through the whole game, song after song, smoothly flowing into each other in one infinite medley....

You can hear this simply by recording it as you play then listening to it. Seems alot of trouble to go through to get it though.