You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Recommendations and some thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2003, 12:48 AM   #1

Default Recommendations and some thoughts

Hi!

I'm partly new at this forum. I seem to remember being registered, but I changed my email and forgot my nick and password, so I registered anew. This one is here to stay. I've been reading mostly the posts that have been made here, but now I'm wanting to "blend" in with you guys, if you permit it.

But anyway. I've played adventuregames since I was introduced to Operation Stealth a very long time ago on my Amiga 500. Still haven't completed it though :p as I hated the laberynth-puzzle.

I like games that doesn't take itself too seriously (although Final Fantasy is very serious at times, it does have it's share of light humour), especially in the Adventure genre. I just can't bring myself to play through a serious adventure-game, at least without having supernatural elements. Gabrial Knight is probably the most serious adventure-game I've ever played, and I haven't even completed ANY of them.

But to name a few favourites:

Monkey Island (LeChuck's Revenge is on top of my greatest games ever list)
Simon the Sorcerer
Discworld
Broken Sword
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Grim Fandango
Day of the Tentacle (there's no way a normal mind would have thought that one up... thank you Tim!)
Cruise for a Corpse
Leisure Suit Larry

So I guess you can see that the majoriy of these games involves a lot of humour. Guess you can say I'm a humorous happy-go-lucky kind of guy.

So now I need a few recommendations to some of the newer games that exists on the market today. I've just completed Broken Sword 1 and 2 for the first time, and now I'm going through The Sleeping Dragon. I completed Syberia for the first time last week too, and while I didn't find it very interesting at first, I was completely hooked by the end of the game and now I'm looking forward to the second chapter of this supposed trilogy.

Ok, to finish off this uninteresting and long post, please... just recommend some new games to me.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:50 AM   #2
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Ah, you like Cruise for a Corpse I see. Excellent game, that is.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 12-16-2003, 01:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
Ok, to finish off this uninteresting and long post, please... just recommend some new games to me.
Simon the Sorcerer 3D!!!
If you don't mind ugly 3D and buggy games, this one is pretty good...
Old 12-16-2003, 01:25 AM   #4

Cruise for a Corpse is excellent. One of the best games of the time, and I would have loved similar games today. Where you have to solve the case before the cruiseship arrives at it's destination and so on. Or in a mansion, where nobody leaves until the case is closed. Add humour, and you have the perfect adventure-game.

But as far as Simon the Sorcerer 3D. What a terrible game that was. I will complete it sometime, when there are absolutely no other adventure-games I want to play first. That includes those I want to replay.

Old 12-16-2003, 01:33 AM   #5
Knowledgeable

I think you would very much like The Last Express, which takes place on a train just before the first world war. It is a truly great game.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 12-16-2003, 01:34 AM   #6
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Welcome, Crimson!

Follow Ninths reccomandation at your own risk.

You might want to look at Runaway, allthough I haven't played it.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:42 AM   #7
Banned User

Much as I loved The Last Express, I don't recall it having much in the way of humor.

All 3 Discworld games.
CHAOS: A Fantasy Adventure
Stupid Invaders
(Warning: the humor in this game is highly subjective!)
Sanitarium (Yes, it's creepy and funny both)
Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
Grim Fandango
Zork Grand Inquisitor
The Neverhood
Toonstruck
(Again, the humor is love-it-or-hate-it.)
Old 12-16-2003, 01:46 AM   #8
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
Much as I loved The Last Express, I don't recall it having much in the way of humor.
And neither did Cruise for a Corpse as far as I remember it.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 12-16-2003, 01:56 AM   #9
Banned User

Touché.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:58 AM   #10

Quote:

This man knows his adventure games.

Old 12-16-2003, 02:59 AM   #11
Banned User

I appreciate the vote of confidence, mycroft! Even if few others here share your opinion.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:01 AM   #12

Quote:
I appreciate the vote of confidence, mycroft! Even if few others here share your opinion.
Unity in diversity, my dear BJ. Tolerance.That's all it takes.

Old 12-16-2003, 03:07 AM   #13
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Lay off that attitude of no one likes you, it doesn't suit you. Of course there are other people with tastes similar (even if it is not exactly the same). There were quite a few games on you recommendations list that you did a while back that I also like very much. I haven't played all of them and didn't like all of those you listed, but you can't expect people to have the exact same opinions as you.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 12-16-2003, 08:12 AM   #14

Quote:

All 3 Discworld games.
CHAOS: A Fantasy Adventure
Stupid Invaders
(Warning: the humor in this game is highly subjective!)
Sanitarium (Yes, it's creepy and funny both)
Grim Fandango
Zork Grand Inquisitor
The Neverhood
Toonstruck
(Again, the humor is love-it-or-hate-it.)
Out of those I already completed Toonstruck, Stupid Invaders (sick), Grim Fandango and the first two Discworld titles. I've seen The Neverhood a couple of times on sale, but I never knew what kind of game it was. If it's a pure adventure-game then I'll probably like it. Haven't played Feeble Files either, which is a similar game, isn't it?

What kind of theme does Callahan's Crosstime Saloon have, and where can I get it? Hell... where can I get adventure-games, preferably new and english subtitled at least, if not speech. Actually, I might find a german or japanese game work perfectly fine if it has english subtitles. Are there adventuregames that have this? There are a few adventure-games I'm looking for. I don't like playing pirated PC-games, for some reason. Somehow I enjoy games that I paid for more than I'd enjoy a pirated.

Granted, I may have difficulties finding for example The Last Express original, but if it's possible I want to know where.

And, mind... toll is a negative. The norwegian government (is it a government?) is so cheap that they set the maximum toll value to 200 NOK, and that was set back in 1979 or something. They don't want to change it according to todays values.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
Out of those I already completed Toonstruck, Stupid Invaders (sick), Grim Fandango and the first two Discworld titles. I've seen The Neverhood a couple of times on sale, but I never knew what kind of game it was. If it's a pure adventure-game then I'll probably like it. Haven't played Feeble Files either, which is a similar game, isn't it?
I don't think so (but I haven't played the Neverhood). Feeble Files is very much like the two first Simon, long, funny (not the same kind of humour, mind, more like in Brazil, a kind of black humour), with good puzzles. All in all an excellent game, my very first suggestion really if you haven't played it. Maybe the best underdogs of all times.

Then there's Zork GI, and then Discworld Noir.
And Simon the Sorcerer 3D... Ok, ok, I'll stop promoting it. I really don't see what's so horrible about it, really. If you didn't expect a beautiful game, that is. (and since the first two Simon are indeed beautiful, that would be no surprise) The universe is kind of faithful to the other games, IMO.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:52 PM   #16
Club a seal or two

You haven't completed Gabriel Knight series yet, so I suggest you do it before considering a new game. and yeah, they all contain plenty supernatural stuff.
Gabriel Knight 3 is probably my favourite. I thought it had the best ending. Most people would probably disagree with me on this one.

If you don't mind text adventures, I recommend Frederik Pohl's Gateway or A Mind Forever Voyaging.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayel
If you don't mind text adventures, I recommend Frederik Pohl's Gateway
Not exactly full of humour, though...
Old 12-16-2003, 11:10 PM   #18
Banned User

My thought exactly Ninth. Much as I loved both Gateway games, humor isn't their strong point. And AMFV is... well... not really a game. More like experimental IF. Certainly interesting and worth checking out, though.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:00 AM   #19
Club a seal or two

oh.... humourous eh? i didn't read the original post carefully.
Let's see... I thought Beaurocracy was pretty funny. Well actually it was more frustrating than funny, but that might have been intended.
Again, it's a text adventure. I really don't have any graphic adventures to recommend because most have been mentioned already.