You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Who played all the series King's Quest??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
Lazi

Default Who played all the series King's Quest??

I just happened to see the 1st one released in the 80's.....super old.....anyone played all?? any good in them??
Old 11-18-2005, 11:42 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

I played them all as they came out in the 80s and 90s. I personally love the series, but I don't know if it would hold the same charm for someone just playing them now for the first time.

I am in the process of reviewing them for AG right now... you might want to check out the reviews of KQ1 and KQ2 to get an idea of if you want to play them. A fan group called AGDI did remakes of both games with updated graphics and a point and click interface... a lot of people find those easier to deal with than the original games.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:23 AM   #3
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I never got around to finishing the 8th one, but not because I didn't like it or anything. I think I got stuck or there was a bug, and/or I just got too busy and stopped playing. All the others I have played, though. The sixth is my favorite. It's so epic.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:28 AM   #4

I played and finished them all. The first KQ-games look pretty dated. If you want to start playing them I would suggest to start with KQ5 or KQ6. The 6th one is my favorite.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:07 AM   #5
More slaw!!!

I played the original KQ1 in CGA in the mid-eighties, played 2 & 3 in the early 90's. These were my favourites of the series, probably because I played them when I was young. Never finished KQ3 - just couldn't figure out the cliffs/caves at the end, I had the version of 4 that crashed on me, 5 I had but just didn't interest me, didn't play 6 until a few yaers ago but it was a strong game. 7 I just couldn't get into, but from what little I played it should have been good. 8 never tried.

Anyway, even now the first three are the ones that I enjoy playing the most, they just seem like more fun.

Really looking forwards to your review of KQ3 Emily, my favourite KQ I think.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:45 AM   #6

Have played them all and they are a nice series of games. The last game is a bit of a departure of the others and is less fun. IMO
Old 11-19-2005, 05:07 AM   #7

I've only played 1 and 2 (the AGDI remakes, which rule), a bit of the 5, and a bit of the 6.

They are remakes of 3 and 4 in the making, I think (or maybe just of the third game), and I'm really looking forward to them.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:48 AM   #8
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I've played them all, but only completed 5, 6 and 7.

I got stuck in the land of the dead in Mask of Eternity and gave up. Shame, as I suspect there were some better levels to come.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:19 AM   #9
Lazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

I am in the process of reviewing them for AG right now... you might want to check out the reviews of KQ1 and KQ2 to get an idea of if you want to play them. A fan group called AGDI did remakes of both games with updated graphics and a point and click interface... a lot of people find those easier to deal with than the original games.
Is it the so-called VGA version? what's VGA actually?
Old 11-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #10

i loved king's quest as a kid, and the AGI version of part 4 played a big role in the start of my love of AGs. i even had the king's quest companion book, which told the stories of the games in narrative form (along with the requisite walkthroughs). quite cheesy, looking back on it. but i enjoyed it all the same.

6 is the best, though there are alot of parts that require the manual (which i lost). 7 was a step down for the series, and 8 turned me off from the start. 3 is probably my second favorite installment. i loved the magic spells and hiding from the wizard was a genius gameplay mechanic.

classic games, and worth replaying!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobee
Is it the so-called VGA version? what's VGA actually?
It's the type of graphics used in the remakes, as well as King's Quest 5 and 6. Better resolution than the earlier games, and 256 colors instead of 16. Sierra's VGA games (and the remakes) also have a point & click interface instead of a text parser. That has nothing to do with the graphics, but Sierra's shift to point & click happened at the same time as their shift to VGA graphics, so people tend to think about them together.

I don't know how familiar you are with Sierra's games, but in the 90s Sierra released VGA remakes of Leisure Suit Larry 1, Space Quest 1, and Quest for Glory 1. (A few years earlier they released an EGA version of King's Quest 1 - EGA is a step up from the original games but still not as good as VGA.) AGDI's intention originally was to update KQ1 to VGA, the same way LSL1, SQ1, and SQ1 had been. It was well received by fans so they went on to update KQ2 to VGA as well, but also enhanced the story and turned it into a much more complete game.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:33 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Here's an example:

Original

VGA remake

I have the VGA remakes of 1 and 2 (I still need to play them). It would be interesting to play the originals as well.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:05 AM   #13
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Here's an example:

Original

VGA remake

I have the VGA remakes of 1 and 2 (I still need to play them). It would be interesting to play the originals as well.
ha ha ha!
That first one looks poor.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
ha ha ha!
That was cutting-edge technology in 1983!
Old 11-19-2005, 11:25 AM   #15
Lazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Here's an example:

the 1st screenshot looks like my drawings in Paint..it did make a whole lot of difference after the remake.......yea, i saw some screenshots for the 1st game somewhere and was set back from trying it....i would rather try the remake or the later series.....will it be less fun if I don't start from the very 1st instalment?
Old 11-19-2005, 11:27 AM   #16
Hoopy frood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
ha ha ha!
I think I may be the only person on the planet who looks at AGI games and doesn't immediately think "jeez, those graphics suck." I've never been able to stand it when a reviewer says "Yeah, the graphics are absolutely horrible, but it's a fun game," or something to that effect. The AGI graphics were phenomenal for their time, and in my opinion, still hold up well today. Sure, KQ1 may be primitive, especially in the above screenshot, but the graphics suit the game and are well-done. King's Quest 3 had the best of the AGI graphics, if you ask me, especially on the ship later on in the game. The deck was very intricate and the artists did a sensational job with the technology they had. Of course, an AGI game isn't going to stand up to a VGA game from an objective basis, but you have to put yourself into that time period and realize the breakthroughs in technology that the designers were facing. Of course they're going to look primitive, and that's the charm in them.

Ahem. Sorry. As for the KQ games, King's Quest 6 was my favorite. It had the best story and puzzles of the series. From a technical standpoint, the graphics were outstanding, the music was fitting, and the voice acting was well-done. It just stands out as the peak of the collection to me.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:32 AM   #17
Lazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
That was cutting-edge technology in 1983!
I guess that must have been a real luxury to have a computer at home at that time too? i guess not many people got the chance to play this game right after it was 1st released in the 80's ?

I didn't know that Leisure Suit Larry actually started that early...is its first one started with this kind of 'drawing' too? must be funny to see ......
Old 11-19-2005, 11:48 AM   #18

Anyone who didn't play KQ1-7 should stop reading this and go do it right now. Or else, don't call yourself an adventure gamer
Old 11-19-2005, 12:06 PM   #19
Hoopy frood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobee
I guess that must have been a real luxury to have a computer at home at that time too? i guess not many people got the chance to play this game right after it was 1st released in the 80's ?

I didn't know that Leisure Suit Larry actually started that early...is its first one started with this kind of 'drawing' too? must be funny to see ......
Leisure Suit Larry 1 was released in 1987. Screenshot:

Old 11-19-2005, 12:12 PM   #20
King's Quest fan

I played KQ1 - 7 as they came out during the 80's & 90's. I remember playing the first one on my PCjr!

The remakes by AGDI were outstanding. If you haven't played any of the King's Quest games yet, or haven't played these remakes, definitely check them out. They were very well done. (They are free to download.)

http://www.agdinteractive.com/

If you haven't already heard about the King's Quest 9 fan game that was recently shut down by Vivendi, you can head over to the website dedicated to saving it. The game looked really impressive. A lot of us King's Quest fans were really disappointed when Vivendi shut it down. We're hoping we can change their mind.

http://www.savekqix.org

If you haven't seen them already, you can check out some screenshots from the game here:

http://www.kqix.com/media/screenshots/