You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Game Movies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #1

Default Adventure Game Movies

I don't know if this has been done before, but I just watched Casablance, which made me think about Grim Fandango, which made me think about what a great movie it would make.

Other adventure games I see being great movies are:
Cure of Monkey Island
Syberia
Broken Sword

What other AGs do you guys think would make good movies?
Old 11-20-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
Ranter

Well, Indigo Prophecy was pretty much designed as an interactive movie, so... If they fixed some of the plot issues, it would probably make a decent movie.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:54 PM   #3

Gabriel Knight 1. The second one practically is a movie already.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:58 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Just make sure Uwe Boll doesn't direct...
Old 11-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
Easily amused

GK2. Must....... have....... more...... Von Glower !
Old 11-20-2005, 05:00 PM   #6
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Shadow Of Memories. Im caught up with this game atm so it was the first thing that popped into my head

And i would also have to say Moment Of Silence, the great story was the only thing that kept me going in that game.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:37 AM   #7
Chris Barraclough

Blade runner. Oh, wait...

Definitely Gabriel Knight 1 and 2, gave up on the 3rd one though so no idea about that one.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 11-21-2005, 04:56 AM   #8

Still Life. The game was so artistic, and I don't mean only the paintings. I think it would make a great thriller-like movie, and I already thought this while playing. And the ending shouldn't bother anyone that way. (it's like a general rule that a murder-mystery movie doesn't need a good ending.)

The Moment of Silence indeed was just living through the scenery and dialog. I experienced the puzzles as either really stupid (the hints hardly had a connection to the puzzles, most of the time) or non-existent, so it would've been even more appropriate to make a movie out of it, I think. Beside maybe, that the story isn't really that "new" for a movie.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:07 AM   #9

Grim Fandango would make a great animated (can you say that? I mean something like Toy Story) movie.

EDIT: And Indiana Jones and the Fateof Atlantis, of course.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:10 AM   #10
Staff Member

I can't wait for the Uwe Boll directed Grim Fandango movie.

Seriously, there are about a dozen AGs that would make smashing movies (MI in particular would be good as a pixar/lucasarts team up (incidentally, CMI was briefly intended to be a movie)) but in reality, if Hollywood got hold of any of these titles they would ruin them. Name one good video game movie. One.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:20 AM   #11

...on the other hand,some movies would make great adventure games!
I was thinking about SAW I and II.The way i see these films,the screenwriters were all big adventure fans.All the elements are there,specially the most important one : the puzzles!!
Saw II felt like watching Maniac Mansion on the big screen (without the comic parts,of course);8 people stuck in an old house theu cant get out of,being forced to work together (or not!) and solve many puzzles.The essence of a good adventure game!
Another good "adventure" game is Cube.All the elements are there,though i didnt like the second one so much and didnt watch the third one.
Do you know any other movie that would make (or maybe was created having in mind) an adventure game?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:52 AM   #12
Irritant F0rum Beasty

The only major adventure game I can think of that could make a successful translation to movie is Sam & Max, because there's no story constraints. Every single game to movie translation in the history has screwed up on plot, and anyway what's the point of retelling a story, that has worked perfectly well as an adventure game, as a movie?

Sam and Max would work in any medium though (with the exception of children's interactive fiction, lets make that perfectly clear, Telltale!).

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 11-21-2005, 06:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
Every single game to movie translation in the history has screwed up on plot, and anyway what's the point of retelling a story, that has worked perfectly well as an adventure game, as a movie?
Er, on second thought, maybe we should hush the discussion of Grim Fandango as a film before Tim Burton or Paul W.S. Anderson reads this thread.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:46 AM   #14
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhamster
I don't know if this has been done before, but I just watched Casablance, which made me think about Grim Fandango, which made me think about what a great movie it would make.

Other adventure games I see being great movies are:
Cure of Monkey Island
Syberia
Broken Sword

What other AGs do you guys think would make good movies?
I reckon Broken Sword would be better as one of those drama shows on tv
Old 11-21-2005, 06:55 AM   #15

It just popped into my mind that I read rumors about a Monkey Island movie a few years ago... I've never really known if there was actually something true or if it was just one big joke.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:54 AM   #16

Part of me would love a film of an adventure game like Monkey Island or Broken Sword but another part of me thinks it would be bloody awful and would ruin the game.

Mind you saying that, in some ways Pirates of the Carribean could be seen as an unofficial Monkey Island movie, what with them both being based on the ride and having alot of similiar elements.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:03 PM   #17
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Jenkins
Mind you saying that, in some ways Pirates of the Carribean could be seen as an unofficial Monkey Island movie, what with them both being based on the ride and having alot of similiar elements.
Monkey Island was based on the Pirates ride? That's weird. It makes sense, but it's weird. They certainly did a better job coming up with a good story and characters than the film.

I used to imagine what a Quest for Glory film would be like. It would probably make a decent fantasy film if made well, which these things never are (game to film adaptations, that is)
Old 11-22-2005, 09:39 AM   #18

I guess game films never work out because games are pretty much like films but with the fun interactive point. Going from game to movie is like taking a step backwards.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:13 PM   #19
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie
It just popped into my mind that I read rumors about a Monkey Island movie a few years ago... I've never really known if there was actually something true or if it was just one big joke.
Oh it was true allright, its just called Pirates of the Carribean

Im gonna predict that the second movie(or should i say second AND third ) plot will go something like this:

Jack sparrow comes to will turner cause he needs help finding a treasure wich he need to us to save his life from Barbosa who after being resurrected is out to get revenge on him, he needs to find 4 map peices and figure out where this legendery treasure is before its too late! Meanwhile Will is in search of elizabeth who happened to just dissapear one night without a trace. The search will take them all over the carribean where they will learn more about the holders of the 4 maps pieces, one of them being Will turners grandad

or something along those lines
Old 11-22-2005, 05:28 PM   #20
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

I think Still Life and Post Mortem would make great thrillers, as would In Memoriam.
Dark Fall : The Journal would make a very creepy horror movie, and The Moment of Silence would be a pretty good conspiracy thriller

Also, Grim Fandango, I think could be a runaway hit, very similar to The Nightmare Before Christmas or The Corpse Bride