You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Will Fahrenheit have some lame copy protection scheme?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to toblix
Default Will Fahrenheit have some lame copy protection scheme?

I was about to go preorder Fahrenheit when I realised I don't know if it'll have one of those bullshit intrusive copy protection schemes like that piece of crap Moment of Silence had. Obviously, I need to know. Have any of the developers said anything about this?
Old 09-09-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
merely human

If it has Starforce I'll definitely get the Xbox version instead.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-09-2005, 04:31 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

There is a discussion going on at the official Indigo forums, but I don't think they have come to an answer yet (they seem to have gotten way off-topic anyways).

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...=&pagenumber=1

Last edited by Legolas813; 09-10-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:13 AM   #4
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

I don't really doubt it'll have it. That's the way games are these days.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:52 AM   #5
gin soaked boy

Well, if it comes with StarForce, I'll still get it, but I'll also get the cracked version.

So much for encouraging people not to buy illegal copies
Old 09-10-2005, 02:32 AM   #6

I've only had problems with very early versions of Starforce (Black Mirror), so I'll get it no matter if it has that system or not. I don't like copy protections in general, and there's clearly some issues with StarForce, but I do think it's getting blamed for more than it deserves. The moment someone has problems with a SF-protected game, it's immediately SF they start complaining about, even if the problem is related to something entirely different.

So I'll be getting it, SF or not, because for me SF works just as well as any other copy protection system (and I have tons of SF-protected games). Are there any particular reasons to believe this will come with SF (instead of another system), btw?

I think copy protection systems in general hurt the PC market more than they help it, but that's an issue for another discussion.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:54 AM   #7
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
I've only had problems with very early versions of Starforce (Black Mirror), so I'll get it no matter if it has that system or not. I don't like copy protections in general, and there's clearly some issues with StarForce, but I do think it's getting blamed for more than it deserves. The moment someone has problems with a SF-protected game, it's immediately SF they start complaining about, even if the problem is related to something entirely different.
That's not really the issue. We all know what StarForce does and NO program has the right to take control over any part of my system without me giving it the explicit permission to do so. To me that's malicious software and it should be treated as such.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by toblix
piece of crap Moment of Silence
MoS is not a piece of crap. I just felt the need to say that.

Das Jan
Old 09-10-2005, 03:44 AM   #9
Epinionated.

^agreed. I felt it had it's problems, but the story made up for it. Plus the developer is an extraordinarily nice chap.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:44 AM   #10
headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasJan
MoS is not a piece of crap. I just felt the need to say that.
I was just about to write that too, Jan, but I wasn't so sure whether toblix might have referred to StarForce as being a piece of crap?!
Old 09-10-2005, 05:22 AM   #11
Stu

There's nothing wrong with Starforce other than the mass hysteria caused purely by idiot pirates who to this day still haven't been able to get Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for free. I'd bet both testicles that any issues caused by Starforce are rare and minor at most.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:05 AM   #12
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
There's nothing wrong with Starforce other than the mass hysteria caused purely by idiot pirates who to this day still haven't been able to get Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for free.
Wrong. Start eMule and do a search on Chaos Theory.

Quote:
I'd bet both testicles that any issues caused by Starforce are rare and minor at most.
StarForce forcefully takes control of your IDE channel. Bye-bye testicles.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:32 AM   #13
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Wrong. Start eMule and do a search on Chaos Theory.

StarForce forcefully takes control of your IDE channel. Bye-bye testicles.
The the new Bet on Soldier game (and the demo) installs StarForce onto your computer also. When the game did run, which was rarely because of frequent lock-ups. It took a bit to get it off, but some people have said that their computer won't evn boot properly after it was/has been installed.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:38 AM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
If there was any copy protection, I would guess it would be in the Fahrenheit release, and not Indigo. At least that's what they did for TMOS (U.S. version got rid of StarForce).
But you're talking about a completely different publisher, here.

I am wondering if Indigo Prophecy is going to be on DVD or CDs. I'm not sure that question has ever been answered (or if it was, I didn't see it ).
Old 09-10-2005, 08:40 AM   #15

There is a good French protection system on both Indigo Prophecy and Fahrenheit PC version.
It's not Starforce.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:12 AM   #16
I needed a dare

Probably DVD in uk and CD in US.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:52 AM   #17

Quote:
I've only had problems with very early versions of Starforce (Black Mirror), so I'll get it no matter if it has that system or not.
Black Mirror has StarForce?!? I was thinking of getting that game, but if it has StarForce, no thanks.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
That's not really the issue. We all know what StarForce does and NO program has the right to take control over any part of my system without me giving it the explicit permission to do so. To me that's malicious software and it should be treated as such.
In other words, the issue is that the program does something you don't like, instead of something that actually causes problems for you.

Fair enough, ofcourse. It's your system and your money. I'm not going to deprive myself of playing good games that ship with StarForce just because it does some things that I couldn't care less about to my system, but others are ofcourse free to do whatever they want.

I'm a bit upset about one thing, though. StarForce has completely derailed the debate about disk based copy protection systems. Now it's suddenly okay for companies to take away your right to make backups of your software, provided they don't do it with StarForce. Because StarForce is apparently more evil than The Devil, Bin Laden and Bush put together.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #19

Quote:
In other words, the issue is that the program does something you don't like, instead of something that actually causes problems for you.
Well in my case the DVD drive on my laptop has problems reading some games if they use certain forms of copy protection. One example, is my copy of TrackMania which is barely playable anymore. Most of the time my drive will go crazy while the game is looking for the copy protection on the disc. The disc is now getting to the point of getting torn up and I really don't want to mess up my drive either so I don't play it anymore.

I haven't had any problems with games that use StarForce, but the only one I've tried with it is the Still Life demo. I played the actual full game on Xbox just to avoid any problems.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:16 PM   #20

Yes, there are quite a few people who have legitimate problems with StarForce, and if I were one of them, I'd obviously be wary of buying StarForce-games. My short rant wasn't really aimed at you guys.

Most people who complain about it either have problems completely unrelated to StarForce (that they then automatically assume StarForce is to blame for, because they've heard all kinds of bad things about it), have some misconceptions about the system (like thinking it's spyware or that it's impossible to remove) or just don't like what it does. I would also assume that many people dislike it because it's probably the most difficult protection system to crack right now.