You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Will Fahrenheit have some lame copy protection scheme?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2005, 12:20 PM   #21
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
In other words, the issue is that the program does something you don't like, instead of something that actually causes problems for you.
Both: it cripples my system and that happens to be something I don't like

Quote:
I'm not going to deprive myself of playing good games that ship with StarForce just because it does some things that I couldn't care less about to my system, but others are ofcourse free to do whatever they want.
Well, a great number of people is deprived of playing good games exactly because they ship with StarForce. If you have a program installed which StarForce happens to not like, the game won't install. Besides, every game gets cracked, some even before they're officially released, so nobody has to be deprived of anything. They should still own the original copy, of course, but nobody should have to buy the same game twice. Besides, even though you're not doing anything illegal that way, or at least not amoral, you're still putting food on pirates' table. What's the cause of this? StarForce.

Quote:
Now it's suddenly okay for companies to take away your right to make backups of your software, provided they don't do it with StarForce. Because StarForce is apparently more evil than The Devil, Bin Laden and Bush put together.
Most other protection systems aren't intrusive and a great deal of backup-making software bypasses them without problems.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I am wondering if Indigo Prophecy is going to be on DVD or CDs.
It will be a multilingual DVD in Germany, but I don't know about the other territories.

Das Jan
Old 09-11-2005, 04:33 AM   #23
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

UK will have a DVD release.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:51 AM   #24

Another reason people dislike is it that with PC games these days, they install fully onto the hard drive, but still require the CD in the drive to play, for no reason other than copy protection. If a game doesn't use StarForce, no-cd cracks are easy to find. If it does you've got no chance.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #25
Mostly absent

I bought The Moment of Silence not knowing that it had Starforce on it. I got the game installed, I tried to start it and Starforce wanted the registration code. Everything was just fine and dandy until I had inserted the code and clicked the ok button. After that I got a big fat ERROR message. I tried disabling my firewall/antivirus and shutting down programs running in the background but nothing helped. Man was I angry.

And I still am actually. When I go out and pay for a game I expect to get it to work when I get home to my PC. This was around Christmas last year btw. It ended with me downloading a pirate version of the American version that didn't have Starforce on it. I don't feel that's steeling since I've paid for a copy of the game, but it would sure be bloody nice to be able to play the original European DVD version that I paid for instead of the 4-CD swapping hysteria of the American version that I now have to use.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:57 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
I don't feel that's steeling since I've paid for a copy of the game, but it would sure be bloody nice to be able to play the original European DVD version that I paid for instead of the 4-CD swapping hysteria of the American version that I now have to use.
The U.S. version of TMOS had no disc-swapping (if you bought your copy). You can play the game without any CD what-so-ever in the drive and without having to deal with StarForce. It's great.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #27

Send a message via MSN to toblix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryScots
I was just about to write that too, Jan, but I wasn't so sure whether toblix might have referred to StarForce as being a piece of crap?!
No, I was referring to the game.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:00 PM   #28
headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by toblix
No, I was referring to the game.
Oh, you were? Then I have to second Jan: It might not have been your cup of tea but MoS is NOT a piece of crap.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:39 AM   #29

Send a message via MSN to toblix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryScots
Oh, you were? Then I have to second Jan: It might not have been your cup of tea but MoS is NOT a piece of crap.
So you're saying that something other than real turd can, objectively, be a piece of crap? When I say the game is a piece of crap, it's obviously a subjective comment, and you can't say my opinion is wrong! I'm always right, baby!

But, let me just say what I hated about the game (other than the copy protection scheme):
- The voice acting.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:45 AM   #30
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
The U.S. version of TMOS had no disc-swapping (if you bought your copy). You can play the game without any CD what-so-ever in the drive and without having to deal with StarForce. It's great.
Yeah sorry. I meant that you don't have to swap CDs when installing the game, not when actually playing. You might feel that's being picky and perhaps it is, but DVDs has been around for a good while now, so why not use them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Plus the developer is an extraordinarily nice chap.
Couldn't agree more. One of the nicest I know anyway.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
^agreed. I felt it had it's problems, but the story made up for it. Plus the developer is an extraordinarily nice chap.
Oh god. We must do something about that smiley! That smiley makes it look like you are about to eat Martin or something, Sqaresie.

I am one of the few who actually had problems with Star Force. After playing Still Life, my DVD burner will not recognize any blank DVDs. It reads normal DVDs fine but a blank DVD in the drive will give me an error message. Star Force does cause problems to some people but not to the extent that so many people complaining about it. I will still be buying and playing games with Star Force though and hopefully they will continue to work on resolving the issues and make it less problematic.