You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2004, 12:34 AM   #1
merely human

Default The future of the adventure game

Frogwares seem committed to the ongoing creation of the 'classic'* adventure game, which is excellent. Many times we've constantly heard about the 'death' of the adventure genre from the media and gamers themselves, with its very slow rate of progress and adherence to old yet reliable formulas. It's statistically apparent that this genre has had its golden days and has dwindled down to being a small niche market (at least in North America) as well as primarily ignored by the mainstream press.What are your general thoughts on the this current state of the adventure genre?

With the upcoming titles Fahrenheit, Dreamfall, Facade, and
8, as well as the recent Missing/In Memoriam, there is proof that some developers are beginning to think outside the box and offering us new ways of experiencing a story, and even re-conceptualizing gameplay mechanics via new technology (A.I., real time physics, Internet in-game puzzling). This seems to hint at some kind of trend for the adventure game, maybe even the spark of a renaissance. Do you agree with this? Do you foresee the adventure game puncturing through and being discovered/rediscovered?

Finally, how do you feel about the possibility of the adventure genre diversifying to include games that have some bit of action, open ended gameplay, multiplayer capabilities, episodic storylines - all that and more alongside the 'classic'* style games? Should adventure gamers be more receptive and openminded about this?

* By 'classic' I mean adventure games that have the typical features - bona fide puzzles, 2D pre-rendered backgrounds, point-&-click interface, linear storyline and gameplay, etc.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 08-26-2004 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:43 AM   #2

When I wanted to sell the mystery of the mummy to publishers, people were laughing at me most of the time, it was in 2002.
when I proposed the silver earring in 2004, I had 3 to 5 proposals by territory.

In both cases they didn't played the game very much, in both cases it was an adventure game with Sherlock Holmes.

it's not exactly what I would call dying.

that there is not space for multimillion budget games for Adventure genre, it is clearly understood, except for one or two titles (myst or Syberia).
that the adventure genre is bringing money where bad wargames are losing some is clearly understood by some publishers.
that women are a forgotten target by publishers is also clearly understood (hello to half of the humanity), 70% of our customers are women, the average age is nearly 40 (not exactly the 17 YO internet pirate).

I believe some publishers just try to avoid a target that they don't know to communicate with, and that the adventure genre is truly alive.