You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 11:49 PM   #1
Banned User

Default International Gaming and Development

Welcome, Wael!

We are very excited to have you here in our forums. Let me begin by saying THANKS so much for being here.

Wael, I would like to know the differences in adventure gaming cross countries. So, my question is: what are the noticeable differences (if any) among the adventure gaming communities from a variety of coutries, from the U.S. to Europe to your home country?

How do these differences affect Frogwares' development strategies for all your previous games and, in particular, for Silver Earring?

Have you found on particular community more difficult to SELL/APPEAL to? Which ones and why? Any of them easy to appeal to?

Thanks so much for your response!

Kirk Latimer
Old 08-26-2004, 06:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Welcome, Wael!

We are very excited to have you here in our forums. Let me begin by saying THANKS so much for being here.

Wael, I would like to know the differences in adventure gaming cross countries. So, my question is: what are the noticeable differences (if any) among the adventure gaming communities from a variety of coutries, from the U.S. to Europe to your home country?

How do these differences affect Frogwares' development strategies for all your previous games and, in particular, for Silver Earring?

Have you found on particular community more difficult to SELL/APPEAL to? Which ones and why? Any of them easy to appeal to?

Thanks so much for your response!

Kirk Latimer

very interesting question,

Making a game for one territory only is impossible today on a financial side, and when we plan the game we have different choices about the thema and the story, which are lying in this question : do we have to create a game which satisfy everybody or a game which has a particular cultural orientation (more american, more german or more french for example) in order to have a better audience.
the answers are not easy, French like complexity, Russian like chaos, American like happy ends, Germans like order, and even such stereotype have no value coming to the market, so it is hard to develop a game which will correspond to very different cultural standards.

At the same time satisfy everybody might mean, do not hurt anybody, and then create a product without deepness and real identification for the player.
The difference exist, the humor of a dialog from New York has probably no chance to be understood elsewhere, maybe even not in Los Angeles. When Parisian people make a movie about parisian life, it has no chance to interest even the people in Paris suburbs.
Journey to the center of the earth is a very good success in France, and very average in the US. why?
We try to create good games, which appeal to the greater number, but it will not correspond to the expectation of many, still there is a part of ourselves and we can't help it, whatever positive or negative it could be.