You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews And then there were none... a sad review ... [spoiler]

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2005, 04:50 PM   #1

Default And then there were none... a sad review ... [spoiler]

Hi all, i just finished "and then there where none" and I feel somehow saddend.

The Adventure Company did there best but i didnt found myself emerged in the story at all. As a sleuth lover i dont have much reference material except the movies, the books and one game made by sierra in the acient times "colonels bequest"

Things i missed with ATTWN was interaction (click 1,2,3 and then thank you mr/ms. whatever), a more dynamic score (if i find a dead body i want to be shocked by some serious chords), not a rushed ending.

The mixing items layout really pulled the nails out of my fingers. Without a walkthrough its just a matter of clicking and combining and hoping it would do something. Please DONT EVER DO THAT AGAIN!! It makes a fun game into a torture, it makes a average gamer feeling like he just went to 1st grade school. Ok?!

Because my only reference is "colonels bequest" I cant really judge ATTWN, graphics where okay, sound too. I finished it and left a feeling from okay i know there are several endings but when i found out its the amount of ppl you save and not who the killers are and found out that CERTAINLY those agrivating puzzles you worked on didnt influence the ending that it leaves a big gap.

I dont want to bash ATTWN that much because, hey if 2 games comes out in halve your lifetime who are based on the whodunnit theme then you should be happy already, and i will be happy in time. Because i just finished it just now i am biased to sadness. But will feel gratefull later for making this excellent game for all of us to enjoy.

One more comment, that sleuth meter, on how much you found out like in Colonels Bequest. WHY NOT? it makes the replay value so much better. And such a simple thing to include. Please for the next whodunnit game, i hope before 2050, include a sleuth meter

Greetings, a whodunnit lover
Old 11-14-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
Trial and Error

He he although I think you are right, I love linear games like these.
I especially enjoy seeing how much inventory I can carry around!
My favorite part was when I was carrying the ladder . I figure I had about 300 lbs. of "stuff" at that point on my "person".

Anyway, I enjoyed the game for what it was, but there were no surprises at all. Very good graphics and sound.

Rich
Old 11-14-2005, 10:54 AM   #3

Default Adventure Game conventions...

...I'm sure this subject has been tackled in other forums countless times, but I'm going to rant anyway.

Quote:
The mixing items layout really pulled the nails out of my fingers. Without a walkthrough its just a matter of clicking and combining and hoping it would do something. Please DONT EVER DO THAT AGAIN!! It makes a fun game into a torture, it makes a average gamer feeling like he just went to 1st grade school. Ok?!
I'm of the (admittedly biased) opinion that the inventory based puzzles in ATTWN were pretty logical. There were one or two that stretched credulity a bit, but it was more a matter of degrees - i.e., you know something like this might not work in real life because item X is actually smaller than item Y - instead of giant leaps where logic plays no part. I agree there were many items in ATTWN, but most of them have a defined use. You didn't NEED to use all the items to finish the game, but if you toyed around with them enough, eventually you would find a use for them.

Quote:
Because my only reference is "colonels bequest" I cant really judge ATTWN, graphics where okay, sound too. I finished it and left a feeling from okay i know there are several endings but when i found out its the amount of ppl you save and not who the killers are and found out that CERTAINLY those agrivating puzzles you worked on didnt influence the ending that it leaves a big gap.
The puzzles do affect the ending. If you didn't complete all the puzzles you would lack information that would give you more insight into how to save other people.

I also do not think having multiple endings where the killer varies is viable. It reminds me of the movie Clue, which actually had 3 endings, each with a different killer. As a like-minded sleuthing fancier, I hated this, because it made it obvious to me that no matter how much attention I paid to what was going on, no matter how many clues I picked up on, in the end it was still a guessing game, because they had to make the clues and motives open enough to make 3 killers logical. I felt like this was cheating, and while it could be done in a game and not have this be the case, it would take much more time, manpower, and money than I think the average Adventure Game warrants from the powers that be.

Quote:
My favorite part was when I was carrying the ladder . I figure I had about 300 lbs. of "stuff" at that point on my "person".
This is a problem with serious adventure games. Comical ones can dismiss this with a joke, which I truly think is the best way to do things. The problem is, if an adventure game was made with an inventory cap, people (myself included!) would complain about having to run back and forth so much to get the items you need... I don't think this kind of micromanaging your inventory is fun in any way, but that's just my opinion.

Like I said, I realize I am biased here, but there's my 2 cents!