You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2004, 06:01 PM   #1

Default Toonstruck installation problems

I install the game but it doesnt give me an icon or show it in the start menu. When I start up the game from the run option it just goes to a black screen. I am running the game in win 95 mode.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:13 PM   #2
Banned User

Toonstruck must be installed and run in DOS. It also requires you to have DOS VESA drivers for your graphics card.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:13 PM   #3

Can't it be run in DOSBox? It might take some tinkering with mounting the game but I think it'll work.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:35 PM   #4
Banned User

Possible. I know that the installation MUST be done in DOS, so you would have to use DOSBox to run the setup.exe

And there are still VESA drivers to potentially contend with.

Since I have a Win98 computer and am reasonably adept at DOS, I have never had occasion to use DOSBox and don't really know how it handles the graphics.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:50 AM   #5

The graphics was another issue. Thanks Jim.

Anyhow, I dont know how to use dosbox. I cant believe they didnt make it playable on 95 considering it was released in late 96. That was one of the last games I havent played and I really wanted to break it in tonight.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:55 AM   #6
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
The graphics was another issue. Thanks Jim.

Anyhow, I dont know how to use dosbox. I cant believe they didnt make it playable on 95 considering it was released in late 96. That was one of the last games I havent played and I really wanted to break it in tonight.
It's very easy to use DOSBOS. Just install it and run it. I use my D drive for games so type in the DOSBOX: Mount c d:\. After that you have to mount your cd-rom drive. My cd-rom drive is f:\ (substitute f for you cd-rom drive). Then type in DOSBOX: mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0. You can now use the c and d drive. Just go to your d:\ drive and type install. The DOS installation of Toonstruck will now run...

Hope this helps!
Old 10-19-2004, 08:04 AM   #7
Evil Webmaster

The problem is: DosBos barely emulates a 486, and that means that unless you have a ninja pc, Toonstruck is going to be VERY VERY slow (as in borderline unplayable). I have a 2.6 ghz and 512 mb ram, so I guess you can trust my judgement.

Once again the answer is simple: Virtual Machine. I played it and finished it there, altough with some little 'TURBO' tricks.
So there you go
Old 10-19-2004, 08:54 AM   #8

This game should work in Win95. I don't know much about XP so I don't know how well the 95 compatibility mode works but I simply had to run toonstruck the command "D : \ADV\TOONSTRK\TOONSTRK.BAT -u -w -b" Run it is dos with something like "toonstrk.bat -z" and it should give you a list of proper extensions showing what they do. I can't guarantee it, but if you use the proper extensions it should work fine.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
Once again the answer is simple: Virtual Machine. I played it and finished it there, altough with some little 'TURBO' tricks.
Ok, so. What's Virtual Machine? How does it work? Where can I find it (when I finally get my DSL )?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #10

Want To drop a quick note for those that might come upon this thread like I did. I have Toonstruck running in Windows 98. I originally could not get it to run because I had a Radeon 9000 pro that does not have VESA drivers. I ended up obtaining a FX5900 ultra (has drivers all the way back to W95). Once that part was solved it still would not run until I limited the VCACHE to 512MB in the SYSTEM.ini file since I had 1 gig of RAM (MS has a page to help out). Seems Window 98 does not run a number of things very well if you have more than 512 MB of RAM. Seems I had a number of games that would not run because of my video card and RAM issue. Anyways, if you can resolve the video card and ram issues I believe that you will be able to run Toonstruck in Win 98. The video configuration is not really smooth, nor would I suggest you let the configuration program automatically detect your sound card. I can say it is a very enjoyable game. -by the way, once I figured out the RAM issue I was able to install TEX Murphy pandora directive as well.