You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems The Longest Journey :: Misguiding Info

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2004, 11:49 AM   #1
Insane Member

Default The Longest Journey :: Misguiding Info

I have a PC which, unfortunately, has very little hard drive space. I bought The Longest Journey under the premise that I had enough space, as the specifications on this website, my online retailer, the game box, the game readme AND the game manual all state I need a minimum of 300mb space. I was however suprised to find that when it came to installing the game, even though I have 600mb hard drive space, it said that I didn't have enough space to install the game. Upon further inspaction, I found that I needed 860mb space to install the minimum amount of files needed to play the game.

I have been trying to find this game for quite some time, and was disapointed with the fact that I can't play this game, even though your game says I should be able to. Just for the record, I have the Minibox 2-CD version of the game.

Is there any way to play the game with the hard drive space that is specified?
Old 09-25-2004, 11:00 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the AG forum!

I went over to the offical TLJ site to see if I could find out anything about this and saw that you posted there, too. The answer that was given about XP requiring more space because of the larger page file makes sense to me, but I think it really sucks that they wouldn't have specified that on the box, etc. Then again, TLJ came out before XP and was not tested on XP so they would not have known at the time that the requirements would be different.

(Are you running XP, by the way? You didn't say.)

Anything you can uninstall to free up disk space? I'm sorry to say that's my only suggestion.

-emily
Old 09-25-2004, 11:09 PM   #3
Doctor Watson

Buy an extra hard drive, around 80 GB.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:35 AM   #4
Insane Member

yes, the Xp ting would be the solution to the problem, but I'm not running XP. I'm using Windows 98 And I shouldn't have to buy a new hard drive to play a game when the specifications cleary state that I can play it
Old 09-26-2004, 05:44 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Sirus

300mb isn't a lot of space. You might want to delete some stuff of your hard drive.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:50 AM   #6
Insane Member

Actually, 300mb is quite a bit of space when you only have a 2gb hard drive and Windows takes up 700mb of it
Old 09-26-2004, 08:57 AM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySonicFan
yes, the Xp ting would be the solution to the problem, but I'm not running XP. I'm using Windows 98 And I shouldn't have to buy a new hard drive to play a game when the specifications cleary state that I can play it
I agree with you. The only thing I can think is that when they say 300 mb they are assuming you have certain things installed already that you actually don't.

I have the 4-disk version, and when I go to install I'm given the options to do Complete (2 gig), Large (1 gig), Medium (approx 420 mb) or Minimum (approx 220 mb). I just did the minimum install to see what it would do and it only took up about 200 mb. The TLJ folder that installed on my hard drive only contains 190 mb of stuff. The only thing I was prompted to install besides the game was DX7 (which I declined because I already have DX9).

Please tell us what you're doing to install (are you getting a message that says you don't have enough disk space?) How did you figure out you need 860 megs? Maybe there is a way we can work around the problem.

When I look at the properties of my C: drive there is a checkbox to "Compress drive to save disk space". Does win98 give you any options like this?

-emily
Old 09-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #8
Insane Member

I get 3 options when installing the game:

Typical - Probably the 1-2gb installation, not sure, tells me I don't have enough space for it.

Compact - I cleared up a bit 'o space and managed to install it using this (Although my computer f*cks up with the fact I only have 50mb space left) The destination folder after installation was about 680mb

Custom - Two tick boxes, 'Program Files' and 'Movies'. The program files one is 860mb according to the installer.

Oh well, that's what you get for buying the game for $15 P.S. I have the compression already enabled
Old 09-26-2004, 02:21 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Wow, sounds like the two versions have very different requirements. They probably came out with the 2-disk version that's compressed differently, but didn't bother to change the requirements on the documentation. Sloppy! I'd write a complaint letter, personally.

I'm glad you were able to install it - if you hadn't been, my suggestion would be to return the one you bought and try to get your hands on an older, 4-disk version.

-emily
Old 09-27-2004, 06:50 AM   #10
Insane Member

Already sent a complaint, no reply apart from an automated message telling me to try the TLJ forums (which were no good). I can't really return the one I bought, as I live in the UK, where the game is out of print. Unfortunately, Amazon.com only deliver PC games to the US, so I had it redirected by a friend, who sent it to me here in the UK. Oh well, it'll have to do, thanks for all your help anyway
Old 09-27-2004, 01:25 PM   #11
Bogart incarnate

Send a message via ICQ to HeinzHarald

What kind of compression are you using? Because games usually don't like disk compression.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:04 AM   #12
Insane Member

Just the standard FAT32
Old 09-28-2004, 02:24 PM   #13
Bogart incarnate

Send a message via ICQ to HeinzHarald

Quote:
Just the standard FAT32
You mean you are using standard Windows disk compression (for FAT32 file systems)? Since games usually don't like disk compression I would recommend against it, but I suppose it would be hard for you to live without it.

For the disk compression to be causing these problems the game installer would have to calculate disk space needed dynamically though, instead of showing a fixed amount. Doesn't sound very likely.

Oh well. Worth to keep in mind for the future anyway.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:07 AM   #14
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Already sent a complaint, no reply apart from an automated message telling me to try the TLJ forums (which were no good). I can't really return the one I bought, as I live in the UK, where the game is out of print. Unfortunately, Amazon.com only deliver PC games to the US, so I had it redirected by a friend, who sent it to me here in the UK. Oh well, it'll have to do, thanks for all your help anyway
Don't worry. TLJ is a brilliant game. Either get a bigger hard drive or delete just about everything except windows from your hard drive. It is worth it, the game is a classic
Old 09-29-2004, 04:19 AM   #15

Quote:
And I shouldn't have to buy a new hard drive to play a game when the specifications cleary state that I can play it
That's true but... something like a 20GB hard drive should cost very little these days.