You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2004, 09:50 AM   #1

Default Police Quest Swat

Hi guys, just joined the forum today as im a MASSIVE fan of adventure games and have nearly all of the old classics

Anyways today i bought Police Quest Swat Generation (police quest swat and 2 +3) because i had lost all the old original discs. They wont work on my system (XP) actually SWAT3 works but i really wanna play the others too Any idea of what i can do as i get install errors?
Old 09-05-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
Adventure Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avnon
Hi guys, just joined the forum today as im a MASSIVE fan of adventure games and have nearly all of the old classics

Anyways today i bought Police Quest Swat Generation (police quest swat and 2 +3) because i had lost all the old original discs. They wont work on my system (XP) actually SWAT3 works but i really wanna play the others too Any idea of what i can do as i get install errors?

First of all, it is probably a good idea to ask a moderator to move this thread to "Hint Requests and Technical Problems", this way more people with knowledge on tech problems will see the thread and answer.
Secondly, what are the messages you are getting?
Old 09-05-2004, 02:11 PM   #3
pain is love

I believe he's talking 'bout the good old SWAT 3!

I hate that game.

Welcome to the forums Avnon, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 'Cause if I am, an apology is definitely in order.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 09-05-2004, 02:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
I believe he's talking 'bout the good old SWAT 3!

I hate that game.

Welcome to the forums Avnon, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 'Cause if I am, an apology is definitely in order.
Heh thanks

Yea its the swat pack with police quest swat, swat 2 and swat 3 elite edition. Swat 3 installs fine but i just cant get 2 to install
Old 09-05-2004, 02:42 PM   #5
pain is love

Sorry man, but it ain't no adventure game. Anyway, I looked it up, but you haven't given me much data as too what happens while you install and so...
If you can't run it, try to turn the compatibility mode to Win95 or Win98. That's the best I can do for you. And I browsed for troubleshooting, but I got the feeling that nobody really cares about it not running on xp. 'Cause there's no mentioning of that whatsoever. Send some more info, I can try again (and probably someone else will). I'll try tomorrow (feeling sleepy, it is 1 a.m here).

by_100ja
Old 09-05-2004, 02:46 PM   #6
pain is love

Found this on WinXP Software Compatibility Service:

Police Quest: SWAT 2

it's ok (but must disable some sound card features)

Version of XP: pro
Type of Application: Game
System Specs: p4
Date Submitted: Thursday, March 14, 2002

So it should install fine

by_100ja
Old 09-05-2004, 04:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
Found this on WinXP Software Compatibility Service:

Police Quest: SWAT 2

it's ok (but must disable some sound card features)

Version of XP: pro
Type of Application: Game
System Specs: p4
Date Submitted: Thursday, March 14, 2002

So it should install fine
Nice one cheers dude. I know it aint really an adventure game but it was a follow up from a massive series of adventure games, (Police Quest Swat)
Old 09-05-2004, 04:14 PM   #8

im running on XP home if it makes any difference, i get this error.

edit: thats the message i get with alot of the old classics
Attached Images

Last edited by Avnon; 09-05-2004 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:00 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Have you tried putting the installer (setup.exe) in compatibility mode?

-emily
Old 09-06-2004, 09:06 AM   #10
pain is love

Yeah, that should do it...

by_100ja
Old 01-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #11
LSU

Default Need help for the first swat.

Hey whats up i really want to play the first Swat game. But when i start up the game to install the screen shows up i click on install and Nothing. A bar shows up on the bottom say (On-Line screen) or somthing, and other time is say (Cannot find GDI.DLL) then after that it says ((Cannt find file D: \ setup.exe(or one of its components). Check ensure path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.)) then i would have to try it all over agian so what the heck is the problem, PLZ help.

And Plz send me an email to [email protected] instead of puting it on the forums maks it easy for me to check.
Thanks for all the people who sned something.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum.

It's really better if we discuss issues like this on the forums instead of in email. That way everyone who tries to help knows what everyone else who's tried to help has suggested (rather than you getting ten emails with the same information), and when the problem comes up again someone else can benefit from the response.

When you first try to install, are you hearing any music in the background? If so, it sounds like a problem I had with Gabriel Knight 2. I came up with two workarounds, which are described here. Let me know if you need either of the files described in that post, and I can send them to you.

The "GDI.DLL not found" error occurs when you force quit the installer. Something is still running in the background that needs to be shut down. Either do ctrl-alt-del and kill the process called Wowexec, or restart your computer.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:49 AM   #13
Dungeon Master

Hi, LSU. I can't help you with SWAT, but to add my two cents to what fov said: you may click the "Thread Tools" menu over the first post on this page, and choose the option to subscribe to the thread. Then you'll be able to set the forums to automatically send you an email whenever somebody posts here.