You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2004, 02:04 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Jakek Send a message via AIM to Jakek Send a message via MSN to Jakek Send a message via Yahoo to Jakek
Default 7th Guest in Windows (not DOS)

I just saw this: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/chris.day/guides/doscfg.htm thought this community may be interested. It looks like a nice application, useful for any 7th Guest fans.

Also, does anyone know anything about 7th Guest III? I just found the website ( http://www.aftermathmedia.com/ftp/collector/ ) and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
Squonk

There's also a Windows version of The Seventh Guest, which is the one I have. I don't know how easy the DOS version is to run, but I imagine my version is preferable.
With regards to the Collector, no-one knows what happened to it. If you follow the schedule they last put out, it should have been released over a year ago. I wouldn't keep my hopes up.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:23 PM   #3

I heartily recommend buying a used computer to play old games. It eases a lot of headaches, and maybe even more importantly, gives a nice feeling of retro-ambience to launch those games straight from DOS as they were intended. I got a really nice low-profile (ie, doesnt take up too much space!) Dell with everything I needed to play any DOS adventure for less than $30 at http://www.used-pcs.com/ . (Including the real tough ones, like the Tex Murphy games).

Incidentally, the box for 7th guest for windows 95 looks quite different from the original version. I'm selling both versions currently on my big auctions on ebay, so here's pictures for the interested.

Here's the direct link to the box art:
http://www.slow78.com/ebay/HorrorLot/7thGuestWin95.jpg
http://www.slow78.com/ebay/3rdLot/7thGuest.jpg
Old 06-10-2004, 06:32 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

I have a DOS version, and it runs with no trouble on XP (except I run it in VDMSound to fix a sound issue). From what I've heard though, my experience with it is unusual. I think there are multiple DOS versions, so I may have lucked out and gotten the "good" one.

I also have an old machine for old games... got it for free when my office got rid of some old workstations. It's way better than messing around to get games working on XP.

emily
Old 06-10-2004, 09:30 PM   #5

I third the sentiment. I have three old computers for playing old DOS games. I've outfitted them with old Roland sound cards to play the midi files back they way they were originally recorded. You should hear the Monkey Island 2 soundtrack in it's full glory. There's something about booting out DOS with a tiny footprint, almost no ram or hard drive capacity, amazing sound quality and having the game play like a dream. Retro geek heaven.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:11 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Jakek Send a message via AIM to Jakek Send a message via MSN to Jakek Send a message via Yahoo to Jakek

Why a full three computers?
Old 06-11-2004, 07:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakek
Why a full three computers?
Because I'm sick.

I have one with DOS 6.22/Windows 3.1, one with Windows 95 and one with DOS 5.0. I find them super super cheap at Goodwill stores where I live.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout
I third the sentiment. I have three old computers for playing old DOS games. I've outfitted them with old Roland sound cards to play the midi files back they way they were originally recorded.
Where do you get the Roland sound cards?
Old 06-11-2004, 06:13 PM   #9

Ebay is the only place I have found.

The LAPC-1 ISA sound card or the MT-32 (a stand alone black box) for the very early games that used LA Syth like the Sierras and early LA games.

For the later General Midi format there is the high end SCC-1 card (you still need a Soundblaster for digital effects) or the SCD-15, a daughterboard thingie that plugs into some (not all) Soundblasters and takes over the midi chores. Yamaha made a good daughterboard too.

The difference is pretty striking. Check this site for some idea of how the old music was supposed to sound.

http://blaze.spicelab.net/mt32/
Old 06-12-2004, 03:33 AM   #10

The real 7th Guest III was in development when trilobyte went bankrupt several years ago, thus never completed. I have a few screenshots somewhere. Never heard of this "Collector" before.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:12 PM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

short interview about The Collector

I think the game has been cancelled.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
short interview about The Collector

I think the game has been cancelled.
Would anyone be able to email anyone that was on the team and ask?
Old 06-15-2004, 05:13 AM   #13
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

This thread is a mixed bag of posts. While 7th guest is AG, this thread does now revolve around the game per se, more about technical problems and solution, so i'm moving it to appropriate place, if other mods think differently, they're free to move it back.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:57 AM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

I waffled over moving it too and didn't because the conversation had turned away from technical stuff, but I'm fine with it being here.

emily