You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #1

Default AlternativA - pin lock question

I'm playing AlternativA and first of all I must say I was expecting it to be somewhat worse, while I found it rather enjoyable so far. Anyway, I've just managed to pass the "pin lock" point and I'm still wondering how I did it. I reject the trial & error hypothesis.

Spoiler:
Since the first "unofficial" pda db entry had an important clue in it for the password at Theolex, I looked for clues in the lock entry as well. The animation on the right part of the pda shows 4 pin combinations, one of which is the null combination, so the other 3 must be related to the correct sequence somehow. In fact, the third combination (3 pins, two of which are nearby) is the first actual combination of the sequence, although it was hard to say due to the ambiguous orientation of the lock. Anyway I went with that one and it immediately worked. Then, the second combination shown in the pda doesn't seem to be related to the correct combination, which I discovered instead by trial and error. Lastly, the first combination from the pda is the last correct combination (with ambiguous orientation).

What do you think? Is this a coincidence? Is trial and error the true solution?