You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
The Quiet One

Default The Longest Journey on Vista

Hi

I'm now having problems with The Longest Journey on Vista 32-bit. I own and I've tried the 2 CD and DVD versions and I keep getting the same problem. I've even installed patch 160 and 161, which are supposed to help with Vista compatibility, but they don't seem to make any difference.

First of all, the Funcom intro doesn't even play, but most importantly, whenever the scene with the old woman comes on, the screen is dark and it just freezes. I can't even move the mouse. I've even tried compatibility mode but that doesn't make any difference either.

Any suggestions? I'm at a loss.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 10-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Caffein Queen

Have you tried rolling back to an earlier graphic driver?
If nvidia, then back to something like 186.xx

The GOG version works fine for me.

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 10-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
The Quiet One

Thanks for the reply, misslilo. Fortunately, I've managed to get it working. But this thread won't be a total waste of time because I'll share my solution(s) in case anyone has the same problem.

Either way, I'd recommend updating the game to 161 whether people have Vista or not. Now, the Funcom intro, and no doubt other video sequences, seem to work properly if you load the game up using 'Game.exe'. This is located in the game folder. Just ignore the desktop icon that's created by default. Delete that and send Game.exe to the desktop as an icon.
Secondly, if the screen goes black and freezes at the beginning, or an error message pops up before the old woman speaks, head into the game folder and load up 'preferences.ini'. Somewhere under [DirectX] it should say:

bool_UseHardware=1

Delete the 1 and put a 0.

Hope it helps.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 10-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #4

Glad you found a solution. I don't know if this would have helped your problem, too, but using msvcirt.dll, msvcp60.dll, mfc42.dll from the demo has help many on Vista. It is how I was able to get the game working on my Vista 64. I can upload these three files if anyone needs them.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
Caffein Queen

Please do - I'm sure many will ask for them

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 10-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #6

Here
Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #7

Default Having the same issue...

Hello guys,

I was having the same issue and I did the change in the preferences.ini file, and actually it seemed to work at the first time, so I could run the game without any issue. And then, the next day, I was having the same "old woman" issue on April's body this time, when I tried to continue my game. And the dll's are not on that link anymore. I downloaded the updated demo to get the dll's, but for some reason, it didn't work either.

So I was going to ask you if you would help me with uploading the files again, (after four years, I hope you still have them )

Thanks, in advance.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #8

TLJ.dlls
Old 09-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #9

thanks so much, buddy!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #10

Default Hello again,

Hi guys,

Sorry for bothering over and over again, but I tried to change the dll's under system32 folder with the ones that you sent me (hopefully I was doing it right so far), but vista doesn't allow me to change it. I need to play this game so badly and this stupid vista is not helping AT ALL... ( oh, god, I hated this OS! Seriously, there is no word that can express the magnitude of my hatred!)...

Anyway, was just curious if you guys have any other suggestion for me.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #11

Don't touch your Windows folder. Just drop the DLLs into your TLJ folder.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #12

yeah, I did that already, but didn't help.

Thanks you guys for every info. I think I'll try to install an XP emulator and try it that way, which is pretty much the only way left.