You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Can't get Omikron: The Nomad Soul to work...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #21

Ok i joined just so i could post this because i looked everywhere for some kind of solution. I have managed to get it playable under software.

I think the problem is actually 2 issues, one is graphics driver, the other is something that i get when trying to play games like Planescape Torment with hardware acceleration on.

Playing in software mode fixed the driver issue but you need to disable Hardware Acceleration in order for software to run smooth.

On XP and lower i believe this can be done using the Display Properties that you can access from Desktop (Right-Click - Properties - Display i think) however to disable Hardware Acceleration in Vista we need to download Direct X Control Panel (a rather large file 400 - 700 mg)

So here's the steps

1. Download Direct X Control Panel and install
2. Start the program and when it is ready select the Direct Draw tab.
3. Un-check Use Hardware Acceleration
4. Find your Omikron shortcut but only click on it once, then press Enter to start the game (if you double click instead of using Enter you will get a mouse cursor stuck in the center of the game screen)
5. Once Omikron has started go to Options - Video - and set Display Device to Software or Direct X Software.

I know it's not perfect but it's probably better than trying to get it working on Chankast or some other DC emulator.

\edit
don't choose Direct X software, just go Software.

Last edited by ManCannon; 01-14-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #22
Adventure Game Researcher

We have developed a patch set now in its 3.0 version and it will run Omikiron fine on XP Pro with the latest drivers and a 8800 FX card, you must however own a legal and completely legit copy of the game, load it up with all the disks, and then run the game with Disk number 2 IN the drive....the patch set has a READ ME that explains things...and there are some mods included developed by the fans of the game, back when it was released...and also a web address for a site that has some of the few remaining mods and info on the game.

Patch set is here:

http://www.filefront.com/17381088/Om...-Pack-3.0.rar/

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 04-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to MrBlade

Heya,
@ManCannon
It works but I would really prefer to play this game in D3D Mode (Primary Display Driver).

@Christian IV
I'm afraid but your patch doesnt' fix my issue. A Z-Buffer conflict which is caused by the AMD Driver. Here:

Is there a solution? (Windows 7)

I've tried to run The Nomad Soul on Windows XP but I can't select any resolution (blank textbox) in any display mode. When I start The Nomad Soul without configurating the display driver an error message appears. "Your Video Card has not enough memory to run this application". Something like that.

My System:
Intel Core Q9300
ASUS EAH6950 DCII
ASUS Striker II Formula
Windows 7 x86 and Windows XP x86 (Dual-Boot)

Regards
Old 04-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #24
Adventure Game Researcher

Ah Windows 7..hmm. well you could try asking over at Vogons they have a good Windows section for technical issues. I have found the patch works fine for XP SP3 Pro, tho it does require an authentic game disk in the drive, no cd patches do not work as my patch requires the actual game. I will check and see what the settings are in game as I am playing it thru currently. I am using an FX 9000 series card tho the game was better on an older FX 5000 series card...it still works and I do have an AMD machine.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #25
Adventurer

I thought the problem with Omikron is the lack of legacy buffer support in AMD cards and multi core CPUs?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:12 AM   #26

Hey,

I just got this working on Vista with a NVIDIA 9300M GS. In 3d accelleration mode!

First of all, I applied the nocd-patch. I'm not entirely sure this is absolutely necessary.

Then I opened the NVIDIA contol panel, clicked "Manage 3d settings", opened the tab "Program settings", added the file "runtime32.exe" (the runtime.exe doesn't seem to work for me) in the Omikron folder. Then I basically set as many options as possible to "off" or "disable" or "minimum". And voila, it runs as a breeze!

There should be a way to do this on ATI cards as well, I suppose.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasssmus View Post
Hey,

I just got this working on Vista with a NVIDIA 9300M GS. In 3d accelleration mode!

First of all, I applied the nocd-patch. I'm not entirely sure this is absolutely necessary.

Then I opened the NVIDIA contol panel, clicked "Manage 3d settings", opened the tab "Program settings", added the file "runtime32.exe" (the runtime.exe doesn't seem to work for me) in the Omikron folder. Then I basically set as many options as possible to "off" or "disable" or "minimum". And voila, it runs as a breeze!

There should be a way to do this on ATI cards as well, I suppose.
I've been looking for info everywhere and it's great that you were able to get it to work. I have this game too and I really like it. I used to play it a lot on the Dreamcast before it wore out. I have the same problem. I used to get it to run perfectly on my last computer which I think had Vista. Now on my new computer, I can't see any graphics in primary display mode and they are screwed up in software mode. The screen in primary is all blue. I have an NVIDIA graphics card and I changed the settings for runtime32 the way you did with everything off and disabled, but I must have done it wrong or left something out. Can you please post the settings you use?
My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT. Would this setting work with my card?

My laptop has an ATI card and Omikron works fine on it, but I'd rather play it on my desktop. It's faster and easier.