You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Can't get Omikron: The Nomad Soul to work...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #1

Default Can't get Omikron: The Nomad Soul to work...

Hey guys, here's my first post in this forum.

So I picked up Omikron, having heard great things about it being from the makers of Indigo Prophecy, and I can't get the damn thing to work.

I'm running it on Vista 64, and I've tried all the compatability settings. It goes into the menu fine and everything, but when I start the game, all I can do is hear and read the voices, I can't see anything. I hear what sounds like a robot, but all I see is a white screen, and then it changes into a light blue screen when I *think* I'm in the actual game.

Usually I can resolve these little issues using my old friend Google, but I can't seem to find someone who has had the same problem.

EDIT: Setting it to render in Software mode does work, but it runs PAINFULLY slow and ugly.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Pixel Clicker

What video card do you have, and what drivers are you using?
Old 09-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #3

You actually managed to get further than me...

I remember it stopped working as soon as I switched to XP. I don't think there was a way to run it back then...

Looks like I'll have to give it a go on W7, which is a bit more like Vista than XP
Old 09-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Pixel Clicker

Now, I know I had that game running on XP. If you want to play the game, you must use the second disk (I believe). Try downloading the demo and seeing if you can run it.

The main difference I can see is that I was using an old VGA Radeon GPU. I might have everything to do with the hardware you're using as the handling of older DirectX versions are different.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattWBradbury View Post
Now, I know I had that game running on XP. If you want to play the game, you must use the second disk (I believe). Try downloading the demo and seeing if you can run it.

The main difference I can see is that I was using an old VGA Radeon GPU. I might have everything to do with the hardware you're using as the handling of older DirectX versions are different.
I've got a Geforce 8800 Ultra 512mb RAM, running the latest drivers. I've gleaned that the 94.24 drivers apparently work, but they don't have them for Vista 64

I'm using a NO-CD patch as well, haven't tried messing with it for days now (I've been hooked on Alundra). But I did sink like an entire afternoon into getting it running...to no avail.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Pixel Clicker

Some problems just never go away. I think I've been meddling with the sound codecs for Fallout 3 for about six months now with no good fix. My suggestion would be that, if you are a true adventure game guru, that you keep an older computer with old software and hardware. That way you know that the old games will still run. I'm sure you could pick up an entire computer for under $50 at one of those computer flee markets.

Compatibility with old games wasn't a strong point for Vista. It was actually the primary reason why I didn't upgrade. I've been stuck with XP for some time now. Can't wait to get Windows 7.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #7

Yeah, I've told myself I'm going to pick up an old computer a few times, still haven't gotten around to it :|

I just got addicted to how fast, bright and clean everything is in Vista 64, when you've got the hardware to support it. Of course I moseyed on in like 8 months after Vista was released and so I never experienced any real problems. In fact, Omikron is the 2nd game I've EVER been stuck with not running in Vista 64. And I've probably played about 25 pre-2000 games since I got it.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:31 AM   #8

The other solution would be to install Win98 alongside Vista/7/XP. Takes a bit of tweaking to get it working, but hey - at least a few old games will start working.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

I recently tried to install Omikron on XP and couldn't get it working, even with a no-CD patch. Searching online gave me the impression that it just doesn't work on XP, which is a shame. If anyone knows how to get it running on XP I'd love to hear it.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #10

Theres 4 ways to solve it. Took me a while to figure out.

1. In some cases you simply need to put in CD2.
2. Try setting the compatibility mode along with CD2.
3. If that alone doesn't help, you need the fixed exe from gamecopyworld.com.
4. If all else fails and you have a crash on start when it loads the intros, then you need fixed video dummy files.

I provide the last two steps here in a RARed File (360 KB):
http://rapidshare.com/files/30307851...atch_Files.rar

You just need to extract it into your main Omikron folder and overwrite the existing files (make a backup first, just in case). I can't guarantee for it to work, but on XP at least it solves the problem for 95% of all people.

In case you wonder if its virus-free, theres a scan result:
http://www.virustotal.com/de/analisi...8f1-1257494169

Regards,
Ben
Old 11-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Adventure Game Researcher

We have gotten it to run on XP but use an older FX card, 5500 for one of our game test platforms and an older driver. That runs it flawlessly vids and all. Other wise do as the poster above says, and it should work. A remarkable game unique and fantastic in every way, A must for any serious student or avid player of Adventure games. There are some fun mods as well and a site that has many of them and much info. Google is your friend for that.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 11-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
NO senior just Senorita..

I played this game a month ago...I used Virtual PC under window 98...the game didn't work on my default graphic card but when I changed the settings to Directx renderer it works perfectly well...
When I did the same procedure under XP it didn't work altogether...
It is a fantastic game...There is actually a sequal underway but only for Playstation 3....
Old 11-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #13

I believe i read some time ago. that they prepared a lot of content for a sequel and stashed it away yrs ago. It remains a unique title and deserves play.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs

Last edited by Christian IV; 11-09-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV View Post
they prepared a lot of content for a sequel and stashed it away yrs ago. It remains a unique title and deserves play.
I agree...I even considered to offer a Few Pointers on it since AG didn't cover it...But then I realized that many gamers will not be able to work it and will "curse" me for having them working so hard to run it...
Old 11-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #15

I think we should do a thread in honour of O. It really is a wonderful game and tho a bit tricky to run, it will run on XP with some care....and is worth the trouble. There is so much to the story and the world, and indeed it is one of the most unique worlds yet made in CGI....a work of art and of electronic magic.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 11-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV View Post
I think we should do a thread in honour of O. It really is a wonderful game and tho a bit tricky to run, it will run on XP with some care....and is worth the trouble. There is so much to the story and the world, and indeed it is one of the most unique worlds yet made in CGI....a work of art and of electronic magic.
Hear hear...
Old 11-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #17

it is one of the most fully relized immersible worlds I have ever seen in CGI...an amazzing experince....and a beautiful one.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 11-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
fov
Rattenmonster

Thanks for the tips - I've upgraded to a new computer since I posted about this and I'm not sure how much I want to mess around with it, but maybe one of these days I'll give it a try.

Let's keep any discussion of the game itself in a new thread in the Adventure Gaming forum, and keep this one for technical issues.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen737 View Post

So I picked up Omikron, having heard great things about it being from the makers of Indigo Prophecy, and I can't get the damn thing to work.

I'm running it on Vista 64, and I've tried all the compatability settings. It goes into the menu fine and everything, but when I start the game, all I can do is hear and read the voices, I can't see anything. I hear what sounds like a robot, but all I see is a white screen, and then it changes into a light blue screen when I *think* I'm in the actual game.

Usually I can resolve these little issues using my old friend Google, but I can't seem to find someone who has had the same problem.

EDIT: Setting it to render in Software mode does work, but it runs PAINFULLY slow and ugly.

Thanks
I HAVE THIS EXACT SAME PROBLEM FINALLY.

I just got the game today by the net, hard to find it anymore,

but it does work on my system but I also get that light blue screen in game, but software mode does work but PAINFULLY slow.

Compatibility mode doesn't help.

Latest drivers in everything.

Components are as follows:

Manufacturer:

Custom Built

Processor:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2ghz 1600fsb (400mhz x8)

Memory:
G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B

Hard Drive:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Video Card:
EVGA 512-P3-N873-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

Monitor:
SAMSUNG 22" 720p LCD HDTV - LN22A450 (HDMI 1.3)

Sound Card:
Realtek HD Audio output (Realtek ALC889A HD 8-Channel CODEC) ( 106dB SNR ) Blu-Ray Output

Speakers/Headphones:
Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System

Keyboard:
Logitech 967740-0403 Black 104 Normal Keys 8 Function Keys USB Standard Internet 350 USB Keyboard

Mouse:
Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse

Mouse Surface:
ULTRA - High Performance Oversized Mousepad ULT40413

Operating System:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Computer Case:
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Old 08-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen737 View Post

Thanks
MY GOD, SOMEONE ELSE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM! And I see there's a second in here too. Sorry if I'm digging up an old thread on here, but there is nowhere else I've seen where someone is talking about this issue, and I've been looking for some time now. I'm running:

Vista 64-bit

CPU:
Core2 Duo E7200 at 2.5Ghz each

Graphics:
nVidia GeForce 9800 GX (I believe 512mb, I'm not sure the 3 gigs I'm getting back from dxdiag is accurate)

6 gigs of RAM

Anything else I need to specify, let me know

Seriously, is there any fix for this that does not involve getting a new (old) PC or dual-OS'ing 98? This was one of my favorite games from back then, and I hear the PC version is far superior to the Dreamcast version (which I have and am having issues with as well, scratched disk and such), so I'd really love to get it running.