You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Using Dosbox for games that run off hard drive but access CD drive for voices

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #1

Default Using Dosbox for games that run off hard drive but access CD drive for voices

Would someone be kind enough to assist me in this? I can run games in Dosbox when they are stored and ran completely from the hard drive and I can get them to work directly from a CD drive but does any one know the steps to get games to work that are stored on the hard drive but have to access the CD for voices, sound effects or cut scenes? (Like King's Quest 6 talkie or Wing Commander?) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

Daventry

"The spirit of adventure will never die!"
Old 09-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #2

The how depends on the game. Sierra games are usually very easy to do. It just involves editing the config file to look in its own folder for resources. Again, for Sierra DOS games, check out this list of my Sierra game DOSBox installers. You will need your original media (CD-ROM(s)/floppies) to install the games, but are not required to play the games. Talkie games are played completely from the harddrive. The games can be started in DOSBox, automatically from a Windows shortcut, just like any Windows game. I would also be willing to consider making new installers for other Sierra DOS games that aren't listed, if there is one that you want that is not listed.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:53 AM   #3

Awesome! Thank you!

Daventry

Old 09-08-2008, 03:02 AM   #4

Collector,

I downloaded all of your automated installers from the link in your previous post. I'm looking forward to using them to help me play these great games!Thanks so much again!

Daventry

Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #5

Let me know if you have any problems.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:41 AM   #6

Collector,

Just wanted to let you know I used your Torin's Passage installer with my disc yesterday and it worked beautifully. It was amazing to be able to play that game in full screen. I've always wanted to do that. Thanks again!

Daventry

Old 09-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #7

Good to know it worked well for you.