You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #1

Default Kings Quest VI freezing issues

Hey all,

I finally got KQVI running after using VDMSound on an XP box - worked great until the part when you're supposed to return to the Isle of the Sacred Mts for the catacomb. The scene freezes after the guards throw me in and the door shuts. However the game still works - the menu at top still appears when i hover over with my mouse, i can still save/restore, etc. Also, the mouse modes dont work (it's stuck at that loading icon). The same thing happens when i go to the scene with the books and the black widow and try to touch the pile of books - the game freezes after the whole "itinerant clause" thing when the other little creature pops up telling me i'm always supposed to have one.

PS I was actually able to get inside the catacombs before - i went back immediately after being sent back to the beach. however i saved over this file by accident and now it doesnt work =(

PPS I tried to repair the installation with another install - didnt work either.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Try running it without VDMSound just to get through that point, then load it up with VDMSound again...? I didn't have this exact problem in KQ6, but this worked for me when I had a similar issue in GK2 using VDMSound.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Are you playing the old DOS version, I suppose.

My advise is to play it in Dos Box - I did it and found no problem whatsoever!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-12-2008, 04:49 AM   #4

Finally got it to work - turns out it actually had something to do with the order in which i was doing things in the game. i was able to get the catacombs part working earlier so i had a hunch that it had something to do with sequence. wont get into too much detail here in order not to spoil anything for people who stumble on this post - but i'm guessing the best way to avoid this for now is to just keep saving. the walkthroughs probably also work, if you're not particularly patient enough. i just consider it part of the fun i guess

PS i did try DOSBox, before VDMSound actually. unfortunately my sound card isnt Sound Blaster compatible, so there was no dialogue whatsoever in the game, and the opening always froze giving me an "Out of Hunk" error.

PPS I'm stuck at the episode with the beast and the servant girl!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:56 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardjoestarsoap View Post
PPS I'm stuck at the episode with the beast and the servant girl!
What can't you manage to do?
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-17-2008, 11:06 PM   #6

ah just didnt realize those white roses were pickable..

finally managed to finish it through (my first time). i thought it was nothing short of great. i'm looking forward to another good adventure title, any recommendations?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #7

Gabriel Knight 1
Old 08-18-2008, 07:30 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to Ledz

KQ6 doesn't work too well in dosbox, besides if you run the dos version you miss out on the enhanced intro and character portraits. I couldn't play it properly for years until I tried installing Windows 3.1 via VMWare and playing that way, and it worked absolutely perfect, it's the best way to do it afaik, if you're willing to work a little at getting it to run.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #9

KQ6 does work well in DOSBox, but as you said, no high res portraits. BTW, you can play the Windows version natively in XP. No need of VPC, VMware, etc. Besides, if you want to run a virtual machine with Win3x, DOSBox is what you want. Use the others for 9x, only.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #10

you can but as I said it doesn't work well, I remember some bug with right clicking not changing the icon, and other problems that made it virtually unplayable, and getting it running on 3.1 was really fun, it worked great and seeing the 3.1 interface was very nostalgic for me... I'll probably do it again someday soon...
Old 08-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #11

i had the CD version of KQ6, which was completely voiced over. unfortunately running it in DOSBox gave me no voices, and the reworked full 3d intro would crash giving me an "Out of Hunk" error. the only way i got it to work was setting it to Text rather than Speech. same goes for running it in native XP using the KQ6WV.exe version. my sound card was not sound blaster compatible, so i'm assuming this was the problem, especially since everything ran (almost) smoothly with VDMSound which emulates the sound blaster standard. it's still not perfectly smooth as the game still froze every time i did something out of order - which i had to work around with careful and frequent saving.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #12

The only issue with it in DOSBox is the intro. It is possible to run it in XP without the cursor bug. Running it in a virtualizer will give you crappy sound. If you have the new collection, my patch will setup the game to run with 3 different methods. Each has some draw back. DOS in DOSBox - Great sound, but no high res portraits. Win version with VDMS - Great sound and high res portraits, but cursor bug. Win version with a different interpreter - Great sound, high res portraits and no cursor bug, but no in game AVI support. Even though the last one won't let you view the intro movie in game, you can just play the AVI file with Media player. Short of playing it on an old 9x box the only other way of playing it is in Windows installed in a virtual machine, but the sound will be garbage and the wonderful soundtrack to the game is very important to the overall feel to the game. You also need to own an old copy of Windows. For 3x in VMware or VPC you will also need to own a copy of DOS.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:44 AM   #13

I don't remember having any sound problems. It worked perfectly.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #14

I didn't say sound problems. It simply sounds like crap.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #15

Quote:
It simply sounds like crap.
Call me crazy, but that counts as a big-ass problem in my book...
Old 09-08-2008, 04:28 AM   #16

@wizardjoestarsoap: I am also stuck at this part where you talk to the bookworm after the "itinerant clause" thing. Did you get past that?

greetings lead