You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #1

Default Seriously, what's up with MISSING?

So, let's preface.

I work as a part of the Online Development team at my uni, helping make online courses, specifically the wordy stuff.

My supervisor wants me to do a writeup on a game that integrates gameplay, Internet, and video, and I immediately suggest up with MISSING: Since January, having heard awesome things about it and Evidence.

So now I've got a copy of the game, I've installed it, and whenever I register, it says it's sent me a confirmation e-mail...but I haven't seen it yet.

I've got the most recent patch installed, I've got the program allowed through the firewall, and I've got the Client Firewall disabled, yet still no e-mail. I must have gone through at least five accounts now- does anyone have any idea how to get this thing going?

My paycheck depends on YOUR help.

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:25 PM   #2

Does your ISP filter your email for viruses?
For some reason Norton antivirus (and possibly other antivirus) thinks the emails contained viruses, even though they were simple text messages. When I played the game, I had to go onto my ISP's web site and set my email account not to filter viruses.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:43 PM   #3

Check out this thread. "In Memoriam" is the name of the european version of the game and this thread has some pretty good suggestions, one of which worked for me. Hopefully it will for you as well!

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ht=in+memoriam
Old 02-15-2008, 02:40 AM   #4

Crabapple:
I'm not sure that my ISP would filter my gmail or yahoo accounts, but I'll tweak those virus settings and see what happens. I'll go ahead and shut down Symantec, too.

AlleyCat:
That was the thread I used to actually apply the patch, even though it looks like only one of the .csx files was actually changed in it. I tried the other uniextract methods for that patch installer, but I either got an error or that one file. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #5

I couldn't connect at first, but that was solved by applying the patch (which installed, no problem).

However, now I'm having the same issues as the TC -- that is, no email ever reaches my accounts. I've tried my ISP account (Adelphia), my free yahoo email, as well as my work email -- none of which filter email before it reaches me to my knowledge, at least not to the point where I've actually noticed after many years using these addresses.

Extremely frustrated right now.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #6

P.S. I really think the problem is on the dev's end. I don't think the emails are being sent out.

I've signed up for countless message boards, web stores, etc. that send you a confirmation email with password, and I always use my free yahoo account. Never once have I not received a registration email.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #7

Okay, I think I figured out what's going on...

Evidence and Missing/In Memoriam are basically running off of the same server structure.

Someone in this thread got in touch with Dreamscape support, and it turns out that there's a server problem, but they're not sure what it is.

So I guess that's that- we just have to wait until someone fixes the servers.

Not much of a solution, but at least it's something.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:14 AM   #8

Good luck on writing your article.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #9

Lucifel- Thanks for the support. I wound up using various screencaps and my memory of puzzles from Evidence to cobble it together. I think it got the point across.

So, I just thought that I'd go ahead and post that I tried installing The 13th Victim and I'm having the same trouble that we've been having- so yeah, it's definitely serverside, and there's nothing we can do about it.