You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 03:40 AM   #1

Default Gabriel Knight 2 HD/DVD Installer

Hi, i'm trying to install this game using this installer and i run into trouble right at the end of the 6 cd installation.

Right at the UniSCI.exe part and error comes up saying failed to write RESSCI.000.

Any ideas?
Old 07-07-2007, 03:56 AM   #2

sounds like that particular file itsnt writing, could be a dirty or damaged disk
you could try just installing some of the files (i think there is a small installation option, where you still need the disks in to play) This may allow you to play without any problems.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:50 AM   #3

I would also maybe try to make an copy of the image of the cd-rom with a program like 'Nero' and then load it in an image loader like 'alcohol'. If you can't do that, the disc is definitly damaged.

Also try multiple drives (if you have them). Some olders cd/dvd readers sometimes work better with reading these older discs.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses guys, but i have figured out the problem. My hdd was very full when i installed this game, it wouldn't let me install it before so i had to delete a few things. So when it did finally work, from my understanding, it did not calculate the space that was required by that UNISCI.exe program (which i noticed it also called games file joiner). I noticed this after trying to install a few times. Since this installer is a homebrew installer i'm assuming the programmer forgot to calculate that extra bit of space needed during the file joining.

Once again, thanks for all your help guys. I can't wait to start playing . What resolution do you recommend i play this game at, in order to get the best possible picture quality? I can't seem to select lower than 800x600.

Last edited by jcgamer60; 07-07-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #5

the highest resolution is best, and also there is an option to get rid of the stupid black lines on the cutscenes. I am glad you got it sorted mate, hope you enjoy the game.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly View Post
the highest resolution is best, and also there is an option to get rid of the stupid black lines on the cutscenes. I am glad you got it sorted mate, hope you enjoy the game.
Yup, thank you. I made sure to get rid of those lines and i'm enjoying the game a lot
Old 07-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #7

Coolios, glad i could help. Enjoy the game.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:38 AM   #8
The Quiet One

Quote:
Marty, how do you change the resolution for the game and get rid of those black lines? I don't recall any options for these during the installer.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 07-10-2007, 05:55 AM   #9

Erm, its been awhile since i installed. I asumme if it didnt ask you, then you will need to goto the place where you installed it. This will most likely be program files/sierra/gk2win or something. Double click the file called "Wizard" and follow the instructions. I hope that helps, let me know anyway!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:46 AM   #10
The Quiet One

Hey, McFly! (sorry couldn't resist )

I went through the Configuration Wizard and whadda know there's an option at the end called 'Interlaced mode (original)' which i unticked and sure enough it's got rid of those black lines.

I can't get it to work in 800x600 or 1024x768 though like you mentioned above.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 07-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #11

Hey, i assumed i had selected the "highest" resolution, simply because why wouldn't i?! However, i dont think its selectable now i cast my mind back. The lines getting rid off in cinematics is probablly the only updated graphical option available for a game this old. Plus, because its video, you cant "cheat" the graphics like you could on a 3d game.(e.g somebody got escape from monkey island running on a rediculously high res, however the cutscenes f*cked up because of it) I hope this helps, DON'T CALL ME CHICKEN! haha
Old 07-11-2007, 01:28 AM   #12
The Quiet One

Quote:
DON'T CALL ME CHICKEN! haha
I would never. I'd call you yellow instead.

Ah, well never mind about the resolution, at least those black lines are gone.

Quote:
Plus, because its video, you cant "cheat" the graphics like you could on a 3d game.(e.g somebody got escape from monkey island running on a rediculously high res, however the cutscenes f*cked up because of it)
Yeah, i managed to find a tool that could do that. The resolution for the characters was good but the backgrounds were fuzzy and much more suited at 640x480.

Thanks a bunch anyways.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:15 AM   #13

I just finished this game and overall it was GREAT, with the exception of some ridiculous puzzles.

Just thought i would share this
Old 07-11-2007, 12:11 PM   #14

Yeh, the mansion area is a NIGHTMARE. Good game overall though!

Glad i could help Alucard, don't worry, it took me awhile to revert to accepting the older graphics, but once you do, you'll love it for that! And plus, no annoying black lines. Have fun mate
Old 07-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #15
The Quiet One

Oh, don't get me wrong i don't mind the graphics - after all it's the storyline that's important. It's just that it would have been cool to have increased the resolution, but still...

But yeah, i'm definately enjoying it. I'm on chapter 4 and i'm finding the storyline very interesting. The acting's not too bad either considering when it was done.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #16

Yeh, i wish that they would re-release this game on dvd, i mean if the original footage was lying around, and they could release it dvd quality....that would be stunning.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:03 PM   #17

It did get rereleased on DVD, but only in Italian.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #18

Nah i dont mean just on dvd. I have made my own dvd. I mean with the original videos that would be of a much higher quality.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #19

Would be nice, but then I would like to see a number of the Sierra games remade with modern graphics.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #20
The Quiet One

Have any of you guys experienced choppy frames during some of the movies? I know with quite a few of them (especially in the police precinct) i was probably getting somewhere around 10FPS and the actor's mouths were out of sync with the words. Is this just a common problem with the game or is it the installer?