Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Hint Requests and Technical Problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/)
-   -   Gabriel Knight 2 HD/DVD Installer (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/20341-gabriel-knight-2-hd-dvd-installer.html)

jcgamer60 07-07-2007 03:40 AM

Gabriel Knight 2 HD/DVD Installer

Hi, i'm trying to install this game using this installer and i run into trouble right at the end of the 6 cd installation.

Right at the UniSCI.exe part and error comes up saying failed to write RESSCI.000.

Any ideas?

MartyMcFly 07-07-2007 03:56 AM

sounds like that particular file itsnt writing, could be a dirty or damaged disk
you could try just installing some of the files (i think there is a small installation option, where you still need the disks in to play) This may allow you to play without any problems.

tomplaneswalker 07-07-2007 06:50 AM

I would also maybe try to make an copy of the image of the cd-rom with a program like 'Nero' and then load it in an image loader like 'alcohol'. If you can't do that, the disc is definitly damaged.

Also try multiple drives (if you have them). Some olders cd/dvd readers sometimes work better with reading these older discs.

jcgamer60 07-07-2007 04:31 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, but i have figured out the problem. My hdd was very full when i installed this game, it wouldn't let me install it before so i had to delete a few things. So when it did finally work, from my understanding, it did not calculate the space that was required by that UNISCI.exe program (which i noticed it also called games file joiner). I noticed this after trying to install a few times. Since this installer is a homebrew installer i'm assuming the programmer forgot to calculate that extra bit of space needed during the file joining.

Once again, thanks for all your help guys. I can't wait to start playing :) . What resolution do you recommend i play this game at, in order to get the best possible picture quality? I can't seem to select lower than 800x600.

MartyMcFly 07-08-2007 01:43 PM

the highest resolution is best, and also there is an option to get rid of the stupid black lines on the cutscenes. I am glad you got it sorted mate, hope you enjoy the game.

jcgamer60 07-08-2007 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyMcFly (Post 424055)
the highest resolution is best, and also there is an option to get rid of the stupid black lines on the cutscenes. I am glad you got it sorted mate, hope you enjoy the game.

Yup, thank you. I made sure to get rid of those lines and i'm enjoying the game a lot :)

MartyMcFly 07-08-2007 04:34 PM

Coolios, glad i could help. Enjoy the game.

DustyShinigami 07-10-2007 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyMcFly (Post 424055)

Marty, how do you change the resolution for the game and get rid of those black lines? I don't recall any options for these during the installer. :crazy:

MartyMcFly 07-10-2007 05:55 AM

Erm, its been awhile since i installed. I asumme if it didnt ask you, then you will need to goto the place where you installed it. This will most likely be program files/sierra/gk2win or something. Double click the file called "Wizard" and follow the instructions. I hope that helps, let me know anyway!

DustyShinigami 07-10-2007 09:46 AM

Hey, McFly! (sorry couldn't resist :P)

I went through the Configuration Wizard and whadda know there's an option at the end called 'Interlaced mode (original)' which i unticked and sure enough it's got rid of those black lines.

I can't get it to work in 800x600 or 1024x768 though like you mentioned above.

MartyMcFly 07-10-2007 12:30 PM

Hey, i assumed i had selected the "highest" resolution, simply because why wouldn't i?! However, i dont think its selectable now i cast my mind back. The lines getting rid off in cinematics is probablly the only updated graphical option available for a game this old. Plus, because its video, you cant "cheat" the graphics like you could on a 3d game.(e.g somebody got escape from monkey island running on a rediculously high res, however the cutscenes f*cked up because of it) I hope this helps, DON'T CALL ME CHICKEN! haha

DustyShinigami 07-11-2007 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyMcFly (Post 424516)
DON'T CALL ME CHICKEN! haha

I would never. I'd call you yellow instead. :D

Ah, well never mind about the resolution, at least those black lines are gone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyMcFly (Post 424516)
Plus, because its video, you cant "cheat" the graphics like you could on a 3d game.(e.g somebody got escape from monkey island running on a rediculously high res, however the cutscenes f*cked up because of it)

Yeah, i managed to find a tool that could do that. The resolution for the characters was good but the backgrounds were fuzzy and much more suited at 640x480.

Thanks a bunch anyways. :)

jcgamer60 07-11-2007 02:15 AM

I just finished this game and overall it was GREAT, with the exception of some ridiculous puzzles.

Just thought i would share this :)

MartyMcFly 07-11-2007 12:11 PM

Yeh, the mansion area is a NIGHTMARE. Good game overall though!

Glad i could help Alucard, don't worry, it took me awhile to revert to accepting the older graphics, but once you do, you'll love it for that! And plus, no annoying black lines. Have fun mate

DustyShinigami 07-11-2007 12:47 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong i don't mind the graphics - after all it's the storyline that's important. It's just that it would have been cool to have increased the resolution, but still...

But yeah, i'm definately enjoying it. I'm on chapter 4 and i'm finding the storyline very interesting. The acting's not too bad either considering when it was done.

MartyMcFly 07-11-2007 01:08 PM

Yeh, i wish that they would re-release this game on dvd, i mean if the original footage was lying around, and they could release it dvd quality....that would be stunning.

Collector 07-11-2007 10:03 PM

It did get rereleased on DVD, but only in Italian.

MartyMcFly 07-12-2007 01:54 PM

Nah i dont mean just on dvd. I have made my own dvd. I mean with the original videos that would be of a much higher quality.

Collector 07-12-2007 10:18 PM

Would be nice, but then I would like to see a number of the Sierra games remade with modern graphics.

DustyShinigami 07-13-2007 10:52 AM

Have any of you guys experienced choppy frames during some of the movies? I know with quite a few of them (especially in the police precinct) i was probably getting somewhere around 10FPS and the actor's mouths were out of sync with the words. Is this just a common problem with the game or is it the installer?