Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Hint Requests and Technical Problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/)
-   -   Gabriel Knight 2 HD/DVD Installer (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/20341-gabriel-knight-2-hd-dvd-installer.html)

jcgamer60 07-07-2007 03:40 AM

Gabriel Knight 2 HD/DVD Installer

Hi, i'm trying to install this game using this installer and i run into trouble right at the end of the 6 cd installation.

Right at the UniSCI.exe part and error comes up saying failed to write RESSCI.000.

Any ideas?

MartyMcFly 07-07-2007 03:56 AM

sounds like that particular file itsnt writing, could be a dirty or damaged disk
you could try just installing some of the files (i think there is a small installation option, where you still need the disks in to play) This may allow you to play without any problems.

tomplaneswalker 07-07-2007 06:50 AM

I would also maybe try to make an copy of the image of the cd-rom with a program like 'Nero' and then load it in an image loader like 'alcohol'. If you can't do that, the disc is definitly damaged.

Also try multiple drives (if you have them). Some olders cd/dvd readers sometimes work better with reading these older discs.

jcgamer60 07-07-2007 04:31 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, but i have figured out the problem. My hdd was very full when i installed this game, it wouldn't let me install it before so i had to delete a few things. So when it did finally work, from my understanding, it did not calculate the space that was required by that UNISCI.exe program (which i noticed it also called games file joiner). I noticed this after trying to install a few times. Since this installer is a homebrew installer i'm assuming the programmer forgot to calculate that extra bit of space needed during the file joining.

Once again, thanks for all your help guys. I can't wait to start playing :) . What resolution do you recommend i play this game at, in order to get the best possible picture quality? I can't seem to select lower than 800x600.

MartyMcFly 07-08-2007 01:43 PM

the highest resolution is best, and also there is an option to get rid of the stupid black lines on the cutscenes. I am glad you got it sorted mate, hope you enjoy the game.

jcgamer60 07-08-2007 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyMcFly (Post 424055)
the highest resolution is best, and also there is an option to get rid of the stupid black lines on the cutscenes. I am glad you got it sorted mate, hope you enjoy the game.

Yup, thank you. I made sure to get rid of those lines and i'm enjoying the game a lot :)

MartyMcFly 07-08-2007 04:34 PM

Coolios, glad i could help. Enjoy the game.

DustyShinigami 07-10-2007 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyMcFly (Post 424055)

Marty, how do you change the resolution for the game and get rid of those black lines? I don't recall any options for these during the installer. :crazy:

MartyMcFly 07-10-2007 05:55 AM

Erm, its been awhile since i installed. I asumme if it didnt ask you, then you will need to goto the place where you installed it. This will most likely be program files/sierra/gk2win or something. Double click the file called "Wizard" and follow the instructions. I hope that helps, let me know anyway!

DustyShinigami 07-10-2007 09:46 AM

Hey, McFly! (sorry couldn't resist :P)

I went through the Configuration Wizard and whadda know there's an option at the end called 'Interlaced mode (original)' which i unticked and sure enough it's got rid of those black lines.

I can't get it to work in 800x600 or 1024x768 though like you mentioned above.

MartyMcFly 07-10-2007 12:30 PM

Hey, i assumed i had selected the "highest" resolution, simply because why wouldn't i?! However, i dont think its selectable now i cast my mind back. The lines getting rid off in cinematics is probablly the only updated graphical option available for a game this old. Plus, because its video, you cant "cheat" the graphics like you could on a 3d game.(e.g somebody got escape from monkey island running on a rediculously high res, however the cutscenes f*cked up because of it) I hope this helps, DON'T CALL ME CHICKEN! haha

DustyShinigami 07-11-2007 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyMcFly (Post 424516)
DON'T CALL ME CHICKEN! haha

I would never. I'd call you yellow instead. :D

Ah, well never mind about the resolution, at least those black lines are gone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyMcFly (Post 424516)
Plus, because its video, you cant "cheat" the graphics like you could on a 3d game.(e.g somebody got escape from monkey island running on a rediculously high res, however the cutscenes f*cked up because of it)

Yeah, i managed to find a tool that could do that. The resolution for the characters was good but the backgrounds were fuzzy and much more suited at 640x480.

Thanks a bunch anyways. :)

jcgamer60 07-11-2007 02:15 AM

I just finished this game and overall it was GREAT, with the exception of some ridiculous puzzles.

Just thought i would share this :)

MartyMcFly 07-11-2007 12:11 PM

Yeh, the mansion area is a NIGHTMARE. Good game overall though!

Glad i could help Alucard, don't worry, it took me awhile to revert to accepting the older graphics, but once you do, you'll love it for that! And plus, no annoying black lines. Have fun mate

DustyShinigami 07-11-2007 12:47 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong i don't mind the graphics - after all it's the storyline that's important. It's just that it would have been cool to have increased the resolution, but still...

But yeah, i'm definately enjoying it. I'm on chapter 4 and i'm finding the storyline very interesting. The acting's not too bad either considering when it was done.

MartyMcFly 07-11-2007 01:08 PM

Yeh, i wish that they would re-release this game on dvd, i mean if the original footage was lying around, and they could release it dvd quality....that would be stunning.

Collector 07-11-2007 10:03 PM

It did get rereleased on DVD, but only in Italian.

MartyMcFly 07-12-2007 01:54 PM

Nah i dont mean just on dvd. I have made my own dvd. I mean with the original videos that would be of a much higher quality.

Collector 07-12-2007 10:18 PM

Would be nice, but then I would like to see a number of the Sierra games remade with modern graphics.

DustyShinigami 07-13-2007 10:52 AM

Have any of you guys experienced choppy frames during some of the movies? I know with quite a few of them (especially in the police precinct) i was probably getting somewhere around 10FPS and the actor's mouths were out of sync with the words. Is this just a common problem with the game or is it the installer?

Lunatik 07-13-2007 11:35 AM

Quote:

Is this just a common problem with the game or is it the installer?
That was present when the game first came out, I recall it well. This is normal, because they had to make choices between image quality (compression), general frame rate, and disc space availability. But I think they ready did the best they could, considering video compression was much less advanced in 1995 that it is now.

DustyShinigami 07-13-2007 12:23 PM

Ah, right gotcha. Yeah it's a real pity they can't release the Gabriel Knight games for XP with improved graphics, better quality videos and all the bugs fixed etc. Never mind though, i'm still enjoying these games despite these little nick picks. :)

MartyMcFly 07-13-2007 01:31 PM

I imagine if they had used higher video quality, it would have doubled the disks, hence doubling production costs, and possibly lowering profit. I agree that they did an amazing job at the time however. With the advent of double layer dvds however, and the approaching takeover of blueray/hddvd, i think this game is crying out for a higher quality version. Alas...even though old games are no longer sold properly, the rights are held onto fiercly, as the computer sytems they were made for become technological dodo's.
*ahem*
Sorry, i do that sometimes haha...in conclusion, this game rocks, and the xp installer is a godsend.

jcgamer60 07-13-2007 02:27 PM

I had to change the video settings in options to small to be able to enjoy those videos.

MartyMcFly 07-13-2007 02:32 PM

Im stubborn...i hate it if my game doesnt fill the whole screen! As iv said before though, after a while you can get past the graphics...broken sword actually looks pretty blocky nowadays, but after 5 minutes, i lose myself in paris, as i did all those years ago when i was a young boy...good times!

jcgamer60 07-13-2007 11:07 PM

I know what you mean, but those videos never really filled the entire screen, completely anyway. The game itself i play full screen, i just changed the options for in game videos to a smaller size. I can't stand seeing compression artifacts in videos...

The actual in game graphics look pretty good, since they are prerendered. No need to worry about pixelation and blocky polygons.

DustyShinigami 07-14-2007 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyMcFly (Post 425354)
broken sword actually looks pretty blocky nowadays, but after 5 minutes, i lose myself in paris, as i did all those years ago when i was a young boy...good times!

I know what you mean, the same thing happens to me. But in my opinion the graphics for broken sword still look pretty damn good even now considering when it was done. There are some pixelated colours here and there and the characters are a bit jaggy in some places but overall it still looks outstanding.

MartyMcFly 07-14-2007 04:07 AM

I think they really nailed it....its strange in broken sword 1...because after afew minutes, i kind of readjust to the time, and the graphics hold up really well.. i wouldnt change a thing.

However, in broken sword 4, although i love the characters still, and love the series....i find myself constantly criticising the graphics. The 3d just doesnt feel...real to me. I just find it bizzare that overall, i find the originals graphics more appealing than the up-to-date installment. I guess the lush tropical islands in broken sword 2 spoiled me rotten haha.

(JC Gamer i agree, the ingame actually holds up very well for gabriel knight 2...as i said above, even though 3d in gk3 came last, it will probablly hold up the least well compared to gk 1&2 , i think so anyway!)

DustyShinigami 07-14-2007 06:55 AM

Broken Sword 4 just didn't do anything for me i'm afraid. It's strange really cuz when i heard about it being made i couldn't wait for it to come out. But yeah the graphics are pretty bland in comparison to say... BS3, which i find lush and still looks good after 3-4 years.

The tropical islands on BS2 are great aren't they, they're my favourite sections of the game. :9~

MartyMcFly 07-15-2007 01:51 PM

Yeh, its a shame really. Don't get me wrong, im glad broken sword 4 exists. I absolutely loved the raining section at the beginning, added alot of atmosphere. However....after awhile...it was just cloned corridors and boring design...nothing that touches the tropical zombie island or dusty fancy dress shops of paris. I love broken sword because i feel like i have traveled. This just didnt happen for me in broken sword 4....its sad that it feels so...BROKEN. Its still a great game...but trust me...if your gona keep on making the games...you cant go wrong using the original and best as a blueprint. Anyone agree?

jcgamer60 07-17-2007 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyMcFly (Post 425730)
Yeh, its a shame really. Don't get me wrong, im glad broken sword 4 exists. I absolutely loved the raining section at the beginning, added alot of atmosphere. However....after awhile...it was just cloned corridors and boring design...nothing that touches the tropical zombie island or dusty fancy dress shops of paris. I love broken sword because i feel like i have traveled. This just didnt happen for me in broken sword 4....its sad that it feels so...BROKEN. Its still a great game...but trust me...if your gona keep on making the games...you cant go wrong using the original and best as a blueprint. Anyone agree?

I agree. Reminds me why i loved The Longest Journey, yet hated Dreamfall. Although there are several reasons why Dreamfall wasn't that good.