You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Gabriel Knight 2 VMD to AVI Conversion?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Shoal
Default Gabriel Knight 2 VMD to AVI Conversion?

The subject line says it all. Is this possible? Has anyone done it?
Old 05-12-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
In an evening of July...

Looks like the file format has been chewed on for some time. Here you can see the results - to my knowledge there are no converters available, it should be possible to make your own though (as far as I can tell from looking at the wiki).

EDIT: Googling some more brings up this - no idea how legit it is.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shoal

I found all the wiki stuff and some other info, but no converter.

This total conversion thing looks suspect, but it's better than nothing. Thanks!

Just for fun, I took the introduction to Lord of the Rings Online, losslessly converted it to an AVI, resized it to 308x167 (the 1.85:1 resolution used by the videos in GK2), cut the framerate down to 10 fps (what I think is the framerate to the GK2 videos), and then cut the color down to 8-bit (again, to the specs of the GK2 videos).

Then, just to see what the thing would look like if it were running in GK2, I resized the width and height by 2x (nearest neighbor) and added scanlines.

Note: I determined the frames-per-second of the GK2 videos by using a screen capture device and saving a DOSBox gameplay video at 30fps. I then opened up the video in VirtualDub and cut out all non-unique frames (doubles and triples of the same frame). I then kept playing back the unique frames at different framerates until I found a speed that seemed to match the speed of the videos in the game.

I determined the resolution of the videos by taking a screenshot of the game in action, cropping out all but the video, and then resizing by .5 (nearest neighbor).

Man... I really do the weirdest stuff for fun.

EDIT: Turns out the converter works, and all my measurements are correct! Thanks! Although I wish there were some way to just demux the video and audio into two separate files without recompressing them into a different formats. But whatever; I have more than enough to work with for now.

Last edited by Shoal; 05-12-2007 at 06:25 PM.