You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems MicroProse's Return of the Phantom (Sound Issues)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #1

Default MicroProse's Return of the Phantom (Sound Issues)

Hi I'm trying to play the old adventure game Return of the Phantom again. I'm using Windows XP and the only way I can get it to run is by using VDMSound but once I've gotten in both the sound and voices don't seem to work.

I know this is an obscure adventure but any help would be great

Thanks
Old 04-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I have a copy of it, but unfortunately not at university with me.

Have you tried running it using DOSBox? That may well help you a lot.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #3

You're going to need DOSBox, as Robert pointed out.

Check out this page, which might be of some help:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_l...550435fce7df16
Old 04-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #4

Thanks so much for your help. I have to apologize I don't know alot about about computers, so this may take me a while to get it working.

But I'll try

Anway, so I got DosBox and when I tried to run it I got this message

Error "-32" in module "5" data: circle then a space anoather circle both with dots in the middle (sorry couldn't find it on my keyboard)

Most Recent Memory Check: 46944
Most Recent DOS Error: 4
Stack Use Indicator: 10105

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #5

DOSBox can be confusing at first. I recommend that you read about it here, as it doesn't assume that you know anything and takes you through it step by step, from install to how to run a game. It's well worth the trouble to learn if you are interested in playing older games:

http://home.earthlink.net/~eddie1231...xtutorial1.htm
Old 04-22-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

You may also want to check out one of the so-called frontends (they can be found from the DOSBox website); you may find it easier to work out what's going on that way.

Good luck!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Onward! View Post
Thanks so much for your help. I have to apologize I don't know alot about about computers, so this may take me a while to get it working.

But I'll try

Anway, so I got DosBox and when I tried to run it I got this message

Error "-32" in module "5" data: circle then a space anoather circle both with dots in the middle (sorry couldn't find it on my keyboard)

Most Recent Memory Check: 46944
Most Recent DOS Error: 4
Stack Use Indicator: 10105

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Thanks

Please tell us exactly what your DOSBOX bat file looks like. What are the commands you are typing? I have this game and run it throught DOSBOX. I don't remember any real problems but there were a bunch of hurdles on another Microprose game I have, so it may be a similar issue.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:00 PM   #8

I just wanted to quickly thank Marian and RLacey for your help. Really appreciate it guys.

Finally Got It Working! Hooray!

First off the problem I was getting with the error was caused because I didn't have the CD in the drive and I didn't mount it in DosBox. Boy do I feel foolish. But I guess I'm learning.

Second I got the music/speech to finally work by fixing the IRQ. Again felt a little foolish.

After that It has since run fine in DosBox. It's so nice to be able to play this game again. I've haven't played this game in ten years It's so great to see it again.

On another note the past few days have been great for me as I've been able to get the following games to work again; Return To Zork, Gabriel Knight 2 and now Phantom. It's been so awesome to play some of these games again.

Thanks again for all the help
Old 04-22-2007, 10:11 PM   #9

Wow! That's fantastic that you got Phantom running so quickly! I think you were being just a trifle modest when you expressed some doubt in terms of your computer know-how. Phantom can be a bit fussy when it comes to getting the sound to work correctly.

Enjoy the game; and, yes, isn't it great to be able to revisit these older games again!! Have fun!!