You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Going to the wayback machine for this one: weird DOS issue, any helpers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
Strategy Guide Author

Default Going to the wayback machine for this one: weird DOS issue, any helpers?

Okay, I figured out why I'm having the problem. (editing post)

Summary: I have a Windows 98 gaming machine I use for older adventure games.

My problem was I can't see C: drive after booting up a Windows 98 machine with a DOS boot disk. The problem I believe if I am researching correctly is because the C: drive is formatted with FAT32 and DOS can't see it.

So if that's the case, how can I make a partition that I can use for using the DOS boot disk? Feel free to link me to info.. Can I do it through Windows 98 or only through DOS? Also the concept scares the crap outta me so maybe I shouldn't do it

Last edited by Phod; 04-13-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I think it very much depends on which version of DOS you're using; as far as I know MSDOS doesn't support FAT32, though one or two websites claim MSDOS 7.1 does.

In terms of running DOS games on Windows 98, running the OS in Real Mode/MS-DOS mode does work with FAT32 according to the microsoft knowledge base ( Link). I haven't used Windows 98 for some years now, but I did use to play alot of older dos games on my old Windows 98 system using Real Mode/"Restart in MS-DOS mode". Is there a reason why this isn't working? I do recall there could be loads of annoying problems with getting enough memory available to play games, necessitating dos boot disks!
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!