You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Riddle of the Sphinx Quicktime error

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 07:31 PM   #1

Default Riddle of the Sphinx Quicktime error

I recently purchanced this game and have been trying to get it to run with no success.

When I try to run the program I get this error.

"Xtra not found

"FileXtra4"

Script Error. Continue?"

When I hit yes I then get this.

"This application requires an Xtra (Quicktime 3) that either does not exist or failed to initialize properly. Please make sure the appropriate Xtras are in the Xtras folder(s)"

If I hit ok I get a list of about 10 files which it says are not in the appropriate Xtra folder(s).

I am complete baffled by this. I've tried running the install program from the disk in windows 98 compatibility mode. I've also set the game itself to the same. I looked at the tech help on their site which recommended installing the quicktime version from the game and talked about multiple cds. Well the game I bought has one cd and no quicktime version with it. I then completely uninstalled quicktime from my computer and downloaded the version they had listed in their tech help site (3.02) and installed it and the game still won't run. I get the same error message. I've spend hours attempting to find a resolution to this to no avail. I'd be grateful for any assistance. I'd hate to think I wasted 10 bucks on this game.=/
Old 01-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #2

I just bought this game as well, and am having the same exact issue. I uninstalled QT 10 (or maybe it was version 9) and installed 3.02 and am still getting the same error. I'm running it on a 2 GHz processor with 2 GB of DDR RAM and a 256MB video card. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #3

I too had the same problem. I have finally got the game to load by doing the following:
Create a folder called Xtras in the folder with all the ROTS files
Move all the X32 files into the new folder
Start the game
When I did this, it then asked where 3 different files were located.
Each time I had to open the folder Xdialogs and open the file with the closest name (they are not identical).
The game then proceeded and I was able to move around.
Right click opened up the other options, allowing save state etc.
Haven't gotten any further yet- but I was so frustrated by this situation I wanted to post this possible solution before going any further.

Hope this works!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #4

Default Run Away!

If you are even thinking about buying this game, DON'T DO IT!

I have never had so much trouble getting a game to run.

I changed to 98 compatibility mode, unistalled the latest version of Quicktime and installed Quicktime 3.02, copied all the files to an Xtras folder as described above, clicked randomly on my best guess when ever I was ask to locate a missing file, (this seem to continue to occur off and on throughout the game.)

Finally the game plays, but to me the graphics seem really bad, I played for about 10 minutes, exited and tried shutting off compatibility, bad idea, graphics get really strange, double cursors and stuff, exited again, re enabled compatibility, this time when I went back in it (actually it must have been Quicktime) asked my to update Quicktime...which I stupidly did, and now the game does not play!

This is, by no stretch of the imagination, worth the trouble.

The version I have is on a single CD, the sells at discount stores (wonder why!!?) for $9.99. (maybe other versions work fine, maybe this one does for some people, but is it worth the risk??)

Avoid it like the plague, it is too late for me, save your self!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:56 PM   #5

Default Update...How to make this dumb thing work!

I hate to admit I did not give up, here is how to get everything to work..

Change to 98 compatibility mode, Move the x32 files to the Xtras folder as described above, if you get Quicktime errors uninstall Quicktime, install Quicktime 3.02, a link to this is here http://www.riddleofthesphinx.com/QT302.EXE , copy the all files in the Xdialog directory to the ROTS folder.

The game manual and a hint book "The Book of Dead Ends" are both in the folder in PDF format.

Mine runs now, I finally figured out that needed to right click to access the menu, (I know it's in another post, but I am slow sometimes ) so all is good, or at least better.

Last edited by wanderingrose; 02-18-2007 at 12:07 AM. Reason: added 98 compatibility mode
Old 02-18-2007, 12:38 AM   #6

Old games - new system = trouble

This is true for a lot of games, not only ROTS.

If you want to avoid that kind of trouble there´s an updated version 2.0 from the developer. If you´re interested in egyptology as well as puzzlesolving it´s a good gme and a good deal I think.

http://www.omnicreative.com/store/pr...8651ba77e89320
Old 02-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #7

Except mine "supposedly" is not old, bought it yesterday, put out by Omni Creative group, says on the packaging that it is XP compatible.

Very irresponsible marketing, if I were not willing (or did not have the skills) to slog through figuring out how to make the game work, I would simply be out of the money, since we all know you can not return opened software, or I could go back to the store (I was starting to plan this one) and throw a big screaming fit, till I finally convinced some technologically challenged department manager that, even though he has no clue what I am talking about, it is in his best interest to give me back my money, so I will get out of his store.

Been there, done that, but it is a lot of effort for $10, a better option would be NEVER again to buy cheap software.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #8

I got this game to run by opening it from the folder/file application. A cumbersome way to get there and the saves don't work individually, all in the same folder but you can't see that. I was in contact with VivaMedia tech support and they don't have a clue. Sent me an 'install repair' that didn't work either. I'm not sure the game is worth all the trouble. Limited movement, poor graphics. I have seen raves on this game? Are we all talking about the same one?? Perhaps the old version was better and VivaMedia just screwed up on this new release. They owe us all a refund even if it was only $10. Perhaps they realize we won't go to a lot of trouble to get our money back. CompUSA did let me exchange my first bad copy, it's just not worth the gas money to take it back again. Trying to be fair, I have VivaMedia's Mystery of the Mummy and AGON(same price) and they install and play just fine. Go figure.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #9

Default Here's the FIX!

Hi Everyone,

Running this installer will fix the "XTRAS" error. Please let me know if you need any further help.

Jeff Tobler
Developer, Riddle of the Sphinx
Old 04-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Thanks so much for that Jeff! Welcome to the forums.

The last time I played ROTS was on my old laptop.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to samcuao Send a message via Yahoo to samcuao

Glad to hear from you, Jeff! I just bought this yesterday & it would not play. I am impressed that the developer would see this! Terrific! Now to try and see if it works! Cross your fingers!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #12

Default Error When Running Jeff Tobler's Fix on WinXP

Jeff's fix worked once I figured out that the program was loaded on D:.
I guessed his program was trying to create Xtras folder on C:.
So I moved the program to C: and ran the fix just fine, thanks.

Last edited by Brad H; 12-27-2007 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Problem Solved
Old 08-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #13

Default puzzled

Hi,
i tried this "repair install" and I still get the rror messages as described in recent posts. I am running XP and have changed the compatibilty to 98, created a new folder and copied everyhting including ROTS disk to this new folder and I remain unable to load game.
Please help!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tobler View Post
Hi Everyone,

Running this installer will fix the "XTRAS" error. Please let me know if you need any further help.

Jeff Tobler
Old 09-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #14

Hello everyone

I tried to install this patch but i get an error saying it cant create the xtra's folder. What do i do now?
Old 09-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #15

Two pages that might be of help:

http://www.riddleofthesphinx.com/rots_101.html

http://www.riddleofthesphinx.com/hints/hints_tips.html
Old 01-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #16

Default Hello Jeff Tobler

Hello

Thank you Mr. Tobler for taking the time to post this "Fix" for our problem in getting this game to load:
=================================================
Hi Everyone,

Running this "installer" (see above post for the link) will fix the "XTRAS" error. Please let me know if you need any further help.

Jeff Tobler
=================================================

The Fix worked, I now can play the game. It looks like it will be fun.

May I suggest that you post such game fix's on your web-site (I searched the site and found nothing - and my E-mail to Viva-Media Support was never answered).
As you can read here many people are quite upset with Viva-Media for not doing so. You greatly damage your company image by neglecting to add a "simple" web-page and link to the down-load of this fix.

But, I suspect your just a employee who has little or no say in such matters. So please pass this note along to higher-ups

Thanks again!
MarkM
Old 01-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #17

Default Addition to Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tobler View Post
Hi Everyone,

Jeff Tobler
The FIX assumes a default install location. If, like me, you installed somewhere else, then move your installation folder to the default location: Program Files\Viva Media\ before running the fix. Then move it back.

For example, in my case I moved the Riddle of the Sphinx folder from Program Files\Games\Riddle of the Sphinx, where I had installed it, to Program Files\Viva Media\Riddle of the Sphinx. Then I ran the fix and then moved the Riddle of the Sphinx folder back to its original install location. I'm running Windows XP and I didn't do any compatibility mode change or change of QuickTime. The game appears to be working properly on my system.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #18

Default the installer worked...i'm not a viva employee

folks,

i installed the game with the defaults....got the same errors described here...didn't do anything extra aside from running the installer...it took care of the problem...i didn't have to uninstall my later quicktime version
Old 12-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #19

Default My Addition to Fix

I was getting the errors so...

1. Get the ROTS_Install_Repair.exe.zip file from the developer (10 or 11 posts above this one).
2. I hadn't installed ROTS in the default location, so I uninstalled it and re-installed it in the default location. On my C drive.
3. When I would run ROTS_Install_Repair.exe, it would tell me it couldn't create the Xtras folder. That was because it was already created at CProgram Files\Viva Media\Riddle of the Sphinx. But there wasn't anything in it. So I deleted that Xtras folder and re-ran ROTS_Install_Repair.exe. Then everything worked just fine!

On a side note, I'm surprised that this has been going on for such a long time. The first post here is on December, 2006 and it is now December, 2009. That's 3 years that this problem has been going on, and they never corrected it?! Nice, Viva Media, real nice!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #20

Default Yet another error on this same game!!!

I have followed all the directions of previous threads which has helped, but...... now I am getting this error:

Director Player Error
Property not found
# DirectToStage

Script Error, continue?

What do I need to do now????? HELP????