You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 03:37 AM   #1

Default King Quest VI CD

Hi all,

I'm a proud owner of a copy of Kings Quest VI cd, but I'm experiencing some problems. I've tried searching the forum for answers, but to no avail, so I'm posting my question directly.

The CD version obviously includes speech. However, when running the game on XP using dosbox, I do get the lovely midi score going, but I am not hearing any speech. Does anyone know a good fix for this?

At the time I played KQVI I used to have an ad-lib card, which means I also missed the speech back then. I would love to play it the way it was meant to be played.

Side question by the way: Because I generally love Sierra, I am thinking of buying the compilations. Are any of the CD talkie versions included in the collections, or are they all non-talkie?

Thanks!

Jay
Old 10-10-2006, 03:46 AM   #2

This thread deals with getting the Windows version to work. This post might help under DOSBox.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 10-10-2006, 04:52 AM   #3
True blue adventurer

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Talkie versions

The new KQ collection includes KQ1 SCI (1990 remake), KQ2, KQ3, KQ4, KQ5 CD (talkie), KQ6 CD (talkie), and KQ7 (talkie, of course, since it was the only version). With the exception of KQ7, all the games are DOS versions, meaning you'll miss out on the high-res dialogue portraits of the Windows version of KQ6. Also, KQ7 is version 1.4 of the game, not version 2.0. That means you will be forced to save your game whenever you quit, instead of being able to save at will like in all the other games. Don't ask me why the original 1983-84 release of KQ1 was omitted, but none of the four collections have the original first game in each series, only the remade version.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Jay, sometimes speech doesn't play if the game doesn't know where to find the CD (since that's where the speech is). The easiest thing to do is to pop the CD in D:, if that's one of you CD drives (and it's not there already). If you don't have a D: drive, you can edit the resource.cfg file in your Sierra directory to point to the right place.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #5

Hi!

Thanks for the replies, they were extremely helpful.

I've been through the explanations, and got the game running by using DOSBOX and even by not using DOSBOX. When under DOSBOX the game has MIDI sound, that isn't too spectacular but still, compared to my old adlib card it is actually a bit of okay. Still no speech though.

When not using DOSBOX there is no sound whatsoever. I've tried using VDMSound to lauch the game, and even though it does work, I get the message that the audio driver can't be found.

The problem lies in the fact that I do not have the windows version of the game. I do not have the executable that is described in the tutorial, nor the proper ini files to go with it. I've been fiddling around a bit with the resource.cfg file, setting up the paths correctly and suchlike, but still no speech.

Blast

Still, I will have a go at it again tonight, and if anyone has any tips on getting this dos version to blurt out speech they are very welcome. I am professionaly employed in the IT industry, so don't worry if some of the tips might be to technical, I think I will be able to cope with that.

Thanks again!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #6

Did you mount the cd-rom drive when using dosbox?
mount D d:\ -t cdrom (if D is your cd-rom drive)

Last edited by littleguybrush; 10-10-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:49 PM   #7

No, I just copied all the data (including speec resources) to the hard drive.

As far as I am aware, no need to mount in that case. The game works just fine, just no sound.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

The Windows version is hard to get running on XP (I've never been able to do it, myself), so the fact that you're using the DOS version isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Quote:
When not using DOSBOX there is no sound whatsoever. I've tried using VDMSound to lauch the game, and even though it does work, I get the message that the audio driver can't be found.
Try the GoSierra patch to resolve this problem.