You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Broken Sword 4 tech help please - sluggish mouse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #1

Default Broken Sword 4 tech help please - sluggish mouse

Playing the game is a nightmare, the mouse has no accurate control and is slow to respond. Clicking on anything is a question of luck rather than skill.

I've updated every driver, directx is 9.0c OS is Windows XP home and I've tried 3 different mice but the problem is the same, PC is well above the recommended specs and the graphics card is a geforce fx5600xt

Its near impossible to play the game and i only installed it yesterday, I've waited so long for this but there's no point in playing at this rate

can anyone please offer any advice or help,
Old 09-17-2006, 08:07 AM   #2

Someone on another forum was having this problem and the solution for them was to lower a couple of settings in the main-menu options screen. I don't have the game so I don't know what all of the choices are that are available, but I would suggest giving that a try to see if that helps.

Last edited by Marian; 09-17-2006 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:38 AM   #3

thanks for but I have already tried lowering the settings and still have exactly the same problem,

Even tried contacting THQ but no response
Old 09-17-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Your graphics card is less powerful than the Geforce 6200 listed in the minimum specs. I'm not sure that this is necessarily the cause of your mouse problem, but it's worth bearing in mind, as most of the people who have played the demo and the full game seem to think that the mouse behaves a lot better in the latter.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #5

thanks for that, another graphics card it is then

can only come in useful :-)
Old 09-17-2006, 03:47 PM   #6

Hey mate you arent the only one, my graphics card is on the official supported list, and the mouse still runs like its on ice. Count yourself lucky thats your only problem...i had to revert back to a graphics driver from 2 years ago to stop the game crashing every 15 minutes!(the new one just wont have any of it!)

This seems more a revolution software/sumo development problem to me. Heres hoping for a patch.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:45 PM   #7

I got the 6600 GeForce with 256 and I find that my mouse is still slow. Like pushing a lil rock, kind of sluggish but not to bad. But I have a 17' LCD that runs at a high rez and a low refresh rate. I find that if I adjust the screen rez and refresh rate in game I get a bit more useabilty out of my mouse.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:08 AM   #8

Hi,
same problem with the mouse, It's very slow ...
This is a point and click game and I can't use the mouse correctly!

I'm very desapointed, I really want to play the game this is my favorite game!!!

Rjpiter what is refresh rate you set?

Which setting could help? any clues.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena
Hi,
same problem with the mouse, It's very slow ...
This is a point and click game and I can't use the mouse correctly!

I'm very desapointed, I really want to play the game this is my favorite game!!!

Rjpiter what is refresh rate you set?

Which setting could help? any clues.

Thanks

Well I can tell you this, the game is running fantastic for me now. After having full out computer frick up, unable to boot into windows etc.. and going through hell and high water to get it fixed my sys and the game runs with no lag or slow mouse. My guess is that while I was trying to fix it I updated some stuff including my vid drivers and I think that did.

Have you tried updating your drivers?
Old 09-19-2006, 02:27 AM   #10

My graphics card is Geforce 6600, and my mouse response is slow and like its skating on ice.

What rez setting should I have my monitor on...its a 17ins LCD...any suggestions please.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:12 AM   #11

I'm afraid the game just seems badly optimised...my old drivers worked, while the new ones crashed the game. Several people have had similar problems. The same with the mouse. Its sluggish for me no matter what i do. For other people, its smooth and there is no apparent reason why. I personally think ATI cards were not optimised properly. Hopefully this will be fixed, because in a fit of rage i have just order an nvidia 256 overclocked card, so hopefully it should sort this game out no problem.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:33 AM   #12
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti
My graphics card is Geforce 6600, and my mouse response is slow and like its skating on ice.

What rez setting should I have my monitor on...its a 17ins LCD...any suggestions please.
There's no simple answer to that, I'm afraid. Turn off Anti-Aliasing ("FSAA" in the menu) and set the resolution to the lowest one available. See if that improves the mouse response. If you're happy with it, try the next resolution up and see if you're still happy. And so on until you reach the highest resolution that you you're happy with the mouse movement at .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:54 AM   #13

Ok RLacey cheers
Old 09-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #14

Have you tried lowering the hardware excelleration in the control panel?
Old 09-22-2006, 08:11 AM   #15

Not sure how to do that........
Old 09-29-2006, 04:37 AM   #16
marsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
Not sure how to do that........
Dr Stobbard at your service.

Right click Desktop > Properties > Settings Tab > Advanced button > Troubleshoot tab

Now you'll see Hardware Acceleration

take the slider down from full, down two notches, and it will show a text saying "Disable all cursor..." (I noticed if you take it any lower, the game won't run due to DirectX)

Click Apply... now try the game.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:09 AM   #17

Marsan when I.... Right click Desktop > Properties > Settings Tab > Advanced button > Troubleshoot tab....I get Help and Support Center...I'm running XP Pro, maybe thats why?
Old 09-29-2006, 08:14 AM   #18
Super Moderator

If you click the Troubleshoot button next to the Advanced button you'll get the help and support center. You want to be clicking the Advanced button, not the troubleshoot one.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
Marsan when I.... Right click Desktop > Properties > Settings Tab > Advanced button > Troubleshoot tab....I get Help and Support Center...I'm running XP Pro, maybe thats why?
If you click on run and type dxdiag that should bring up the control app for the options you are looking for with XP Pro.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:38 AM   #20

Thanx again Dale and Dwyloc done now...will test the game soon.

Changed it by 2 notches as suggested, but the mouse action is still the same.

Never mind I'm near the end now, but thanx for all your help guys.

Last edited by Patti; 09-29-2006 at 12:04 PM. Reason: to avoid double posting.