You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 04:11 AM   #1

Default 7th Guest - Chapel floor puzzle

I'm more inquisitive than desperate on this one. To cross the chapel floor in The 7th Guest, you have to solve a puzzle involving coloured floor tiles that sink down. Presumably there is some sort of logical rule that will let you work out the right path to take.

I think of myself as a reasonably bright person, but I have never been able to work out what you're supposed to do with these tiles. The in-game help provides no help at all. I managed to "solve" it by clicking and hoping, but I'm really curious to know what the actual point of this puzzle is.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:09 AM   #2

Sorry cant help. But how did you get that game to load, I bought it long ago and its not compatable to my xp pro, so have never got to play it.

I've also got the 11th hour with the same outcome.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:01 PM   #3

I found this explanation in a w/t.

FALLING TILES PUZZLE CHAPEL

Rules: Get from the first arrow to the last arrow. Every third tile you
step on must be purple.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:39 AM   #4

Davies can you please tell me...I'd love to play them
Old 10-07-2006, 03:19 AM   #5

Sorry for not replying sooner. Husband sick, and I haven't been on-line for some days. I can't remember if I ever tried installing these games in XP. I'll try to do it and report back to you!

I have a fairly modern, high-spec laptop that has been retro-fitted with Windows 98SE, and this is what I mainly use for playing games on, since most of the games I own are older ones that are incompatible with XP. This is definitely what I played 7th Guest on recently.

I can certainly recommend going down this route, if you like older games. Laptops lose value fast, so one that's even a few years old can be had relatively cheap on the secondhand market (try eBay). Keep the Windows XP installation disks for when you want to sell it on again, but wipe the hard drive and install 98SE (make sure it's SE).

Still wondering why every third step in this rotten chapel puzzle has to be purple. It just makes no sense at all. Still, it was easy enough to get through it by hitting and hoping.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:53 AM   #6

I've just installed The 7th Guest in Windows XP Pro, as a test just for you, Patti, and it's working fine on my system.

The CD has two installation files: Setup.exe and T7Gsetup.exe. I used the "just plain" Setup.exe. This installed the game as a window-based program which is running happily. I think the other installation program sets up the game as DOS-based. At any rate, try Setup.exe first, and if that doesn't work, try the other.

It makes a fairly small window even on my monitor, which is set to 800 x 600 resolution, so you might want to step down your resolution before playing.

I haven't tried installing The 11th Hour, but would guess it's much the same.

Let me know if you get them running! Since you have them both, you should definitely play them in order. I was given The 11th Hour and only later got hold of The 7th Guest, and it would have been much better the other way round.

The 7th Guest is a little childish, more "spooky themed" than actually scary, and without much of a storyline. The ending is something of a letdown, but as a puzzle collection it's worthwhile. The 11th Hour is strictly adult fare, definitely a horror story and with a stronger plot. You should be fairly knowledgeable about cryptic crossword clues before trying The 11th Hour.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:32 AM   #7

Davies, many thanx I will try.

Actually someone told me that the way to go if the game wont play with XP is to d/l DOSbox, its an emulator...so I have a couple of options now.

Many thanx .