You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Kings Quest 7 won't install, click setup & nothing happens, window doesnt even open

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 01:52 AM   #1

Default Kings Quest 7 won't install, click setup & nothing happens, window doesnt even open

I had this same problem with KQ6 but through DosBox I was able to install the DOS version and play it through DosBox with no speech. KQ7 doesnt seem to have a DOS version. When I tried installing through DosBox it said "requires MS Windows" or something to that effect.

I double click setup and nothing happens at all except for the hourglass symbol flashing next to the cursor for an instant.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:29 AM   #2

Set your resolution to 640x480 and colors to 256 before trying to install the game. Say no, when Sierra asks to test your system. Make sure all background programs are closed before installing and playing,also turn off antivirus programs before installing and playing.
Hope this helps.

Also check out Inferno's setup for this game.
http://home.earthlink.net/~infernofi...QVII_Setup.htm

Cathy
Old 09-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #3

In my display properties the lowest resolution is 800x600 and the colors only have options as 16bit or 32bit. Switching the settings didn't make a difference. I also tried right clicking on the setup.exe and switching the compatibility in the properties to windows 95, 640x480, 256 colors. Nothing changed.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

To switch to 256 colors and 640x480 resolution in XP:

-Right-click on your desktop
-Select Properties
-Go to Settings tab
-Click Advanced
-Go to Adapter tab
-Click List All Modes
-Select 640x480 resolution and 256 colors from the list and click Apply

To change back to your normal resolution and color depth, you can just use the slider on the Settings tab.

Many of the Sierra games do not recognize 640x480 and 256 colors in compatibility mode, so you have select them this way to get the games running.

That said, I'm not sure this is going to help with the installation problem you're having. This is usually an issue once the game is installed, not during installation itself.

Does the disk have an install.exe, or just setup.exe?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:20 PM   #5

oh i see. thanks for the help with that, though it did not make a difference with the installation. There is only a setup.exe not an install.exe. Something different is definitely going on here.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:22 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Did you try changing the compatibility of setup.exe to anything else? Sometimes Win98 or Win2000 or something else will work, even though Win95 didn't.

Sorry, I'm grasping at straws here.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 AM   #7
"But... It's Pink."

Hmm... This probably isn't it, since you're not getting the error messages I had - but if you have two CD-Rom drives, make sure the disc is in the drive with the lowest letter (D:, for example, instead of E: ).

I didn't have any trouble with the install, but the game and setup is very particular about which drive you use.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #8

No that's not an issue. I even tried moving all the contents over to the C Drive and installing from there.

The file will not install, it won't even open the installation program. I simply get a flicker of the hourglass. Basically nothing happens.

I appreciate all the replies but I'm really looking specifically for someone who knows what this issue is and how to solve it.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #9

This is a windows only game so you will have to find the SETUP.EXE file on the CD and right click on it. Select "create shortcut". Find the new shortcut on the desktop and set COMPATIBILITY (under properties, after right clicking) to WINDOWS 95. Then run the setup and it will work. THat is how I installed mine.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #10

KQ7 does have a dos version.I've played it before and it says so on the box

Lou Holtz
Old 09-10-2006, 07:22 AM   #11

Sotaria, no that did not work either. I had tried copying all the files to the C Drive before (a complete mirror of the cd) and installing it that way which didn't work then. Thanks for trying though.

Schphi, are you trying to help me solve the problem or just feel proud of yourself? Please read my previous post. I asked for people to help me with the issue. In my 3rd post I said there's only a setup.exe, not an install.exe, so I wasn't able to install through DosBox. Please go look for other people to prove wrong, I'm looking for people that want to help.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:11 AM   #12
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaksa
Schphi, are you trying to help me solve the problem or just feel proud of yourself? Please read my previous post. I asked for people to help me with the issue. In my 3rd post I said there's only a setup.exe, not an install.exe, so I wasn't able to install through DosBox. Please go look for other people to prove wrong, I'm looking for people that want to help.
Whoah, easy. I don't think sciphi was trying to "prove people wrong" just for the sake of it. He was just responding to an incorrect claim about the game being Windows-exclusive.

I know it's frustrating not to be able to run a game, but people are trying to help you.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaksa
Sotaria, no that did not work either. Thanks for trying though.
What exactly happens when you start the shortcut with Win95 compatibility option on?

On the DOS thing ... It may have had a DOS version once, and that would be the best solution, but they apparently did not distribute it for long and it is not on my disk.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:05 PM   #14

yeah sorry it is just a bit frustrating. with win 95 compatability on and the setup.exe shortcut on the desktop, it does the same thing as before. It just flickers the hourglass and nothing happens. im running XP SP2, but so are most people so I don't think that info will help anyone to give me a better solution.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:38 PM   #15
True blue adventurer

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Kq7 Dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciphi
KQ7 does have a dos version.I've played it before and it says so on the box
KQ7 didn't have a DOS version initially; it debuted with version 2.0 of the game, which was released, IIRC, in 1995 after Win95 came out, as an attempt to fix, ironically, compatibility problems. It also added some new features like the ability to save games in a traditional Sierra fashion as opposed to a continuously-updated "bookmark."

I never played version 2.0, only the Windows 3.1 version in question here.

On a related note, it's looking like Sierra/Vivendi is gearing up to release XP-compatible collections of their signature series any day now. Adventure Gamers is currently trying to get official confirmation of this from Vivendi's PR department, but the collections are currently available for pre-order at Amazon. If KQ7 is included in the KQ collection, you can bet the updated version won't suffer from this issue.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
Ilooking like Sierra/Vivendi is gearing up to release XP-compatible collections of their signature series any day now. Adventure Gamers is currently trying to get official confirmation of this from Vivendi's PR department, but the collections are currently available for pre-order at Amazon. If KQ7 is included in the KQ collection, you can bet the updated version won't suffer from this issue.
Would that include a version of QFG4 that actually doesn't crash? Sounds promising!
Old 09-11-2006, 03:18 PM   #17
True blue adventurer

Default Nope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotaria
Would that include a version of QFG4 that actually doesn't crash? Sounds promising!
Nope. Strangely enough, Quest for Glory isn't included in the update. Only KQ, SQ, PQ, and LSL made the cut. Why, I don't know. Perhaps it's forthcoming.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:47 AM   #18

I just wanted to let Sotaria know that her suggestion worked for me. I got KQ V11 up and running last night for myself and my daughter. She loves it as much as I do. I had been trying for weeks to get all the KQ games running in XP. Thanks for your help
Old 09-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #19
True blue adventurer

Default Congrats!

Melody,

Good to hear you got the game running. Let me know if you need anything else, and I'll help you out.

Happy questing to you and your daughter. Check back here in the next several days for information on the aforementioned King's Quest Collection; it will no doubt make running the other games in the series easier.