You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2003, 03:37 AM   #1
mab

Default Broken Sword 3 install Problem

Hi.

Am having trouble installing BS3: PC is Win XP, it doesn't recognise Disk 1 at all - no autoinstaller starts up, and Windows Explorer doesn't see the disk or the contents either. I thought it was a bad disk, but have replaced it, and the replacement is exactly the same. It is fine with Disk 2.

Anyone had this problem, or have any (helpful!) suggestions?
thanks

mark
Old 11-21-2003, 06:40 AM   #2
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

You don't have autorun enabled. Go to My computer - your BS3 cd rom

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 11-21-2003, 06:47 AM   #3
mab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannar85
You don't have autorun enabled. Go to My computer - your BS3 cd rom
AFAIK, autorun is enabled, at least it has been up to now, I can't see that it would have been disabled. Not sure what you mean by the last part though. So far, Windows Explorer can't see the contents of the CD.
What am I supposed to do when I've gone to "My Computer/BS3 CD"?

thanks,

Mark
Old 11-21-2003, 08:23 AM   #4
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

I think jannar misunderstood you. Windows Explorer is equivalent to My Computer. Have you tried it on a friends computer? It may be a weird incompatibility with your drive...

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-21-2003, 09:12 AM   #5
mab

Quote:
Originally Posted by twifkak
Have you tried it on a friends computer? It may be a weird incompatibility with your drive...
No, not yet, that's one thing I was going to try but haven't yet. Hm, I hope it's not an incompatibility, as that would be bad.

thanks,

Mark
Old 11-21-2003, 10:11 AM   #6
Head up in the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab
No, not yet, that's one thing I was going to try but haven't yet. Hm, I hope it's not an incompatibility, as that would be bad.

thanks,

Mark
I had the same problem as you Mark but under Win98. I took the game back to the store because the disk 1 would not start up. With the 2nd game it was no different. I got it to install via the explorer after my 4th attempt but then it would like play for half an hour, lock up the PC and not play after the restart. I got fed up after 4 days. I surfed through the net and it seems the BS 3 forums are filling with people that have the exactly same problem. Apparently it is a copy protection issue with Securom (THQ is responsible for Revs software.)
To cut a long story short: I had to get a small game crack which I had to install over the installed bs3.exe. Now I can play the game straight from the hard drive. That means it starts with no problems, and it hasn't crashed once since.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:56 PM   #7
mab

Aha! Thanks for the info. I looked on the Revolution forums and could see plenty of people having problems AFTER they installed it, but no-one who hadn't even managed to install!

OK, at least I know that it's a known problem now. Although I don't know how they can fix it - after all, how can they issue a patch for something that stops you installing the game?

Still haven't managed to try it on a different machine yet.

thanks!

Mark
Old 12-15-2003, 07:35 PM   #8

Default disc 3

Is there a third CD for Broken Sword 3? The installation procedure at the time the progress bar shows 100% keeps asking the third disc. Any comments?
Thanks.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:05 PM   #9
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemalican
Is there a third CD for Broken Sword 3? The installation procedure at the time the progress bar shows 100% keeps asking the third disc. Any comments?
Thanks.
Haha! That's strange! BS3 just comes with two CDs.. Has Cecil forgotten the last cd?

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 12-25-2003, 02:29 PM   #10

Default Broken Sword 3 - the sleeping dragon

[B]I see everyone is having the same problem starting up this game and so did I. I found out that I needed to upgrade my graphics. You need at least 64MB to run this game. Once this is installed all I had to do was adjust my resolution and the game played like a charm. Maybe this is the problem everyone else is having. Also there is no 3rd cd but the game is great. I hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:37 AM   #11

Default Broken Sword 3: run problem

I copy Broken Sword: The Sleepin Dragon and I installed it perfectly from MYs CDs (the copy one) but when I "double-click" on the icon the sand clock starts to move but then it dissapear a nd nothing else happen (the auto-run program shows a bar loading and when it finished just dissapear)
I tried moving the DirectX acceleration sound to basic as Revolution said but nothing change.
Please help me 'cause I know this is a very good game and I want to play it on my PC!!!!

(I have an Intel Pentium 4 1.6GHz with 512MB DDR and a GeForce4 MX440-T video card running under Ms. Windows XP Pro)
Old 02-07-2004, 10:20 AM   #12

Default English crack??

I have the Broken Sword in English and I downloaded the Spanish crack but I need the English one, please tell me where I can download it.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acha
I have the Broken Sword in English and I downloaded the Spanish crack but I need the English one, please tell me where I can download it.
I found the crack for NO-CD and the game work now!!
I hope this can help someone : http://dl.gamecopyworld.com/dl.cgi?flt-bs3!rar

GOODBYE!!!! I'm going back to BS 3 right now!
Old 08-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #14

Default Just for posterity

Sorry to gravedig, but having finally - years after this thread died - figured out the problem mab was probably having, since I've been having it too, I thought it'd be worth mentioning it. So at least the solution is *somewhere* on the net!

It's ZoneAlarm

Broken Sword install does not like it. At all. Unplug your internet (for safety) and quit ZoneAlarm, install everything, then reload ZA and plug back in.

No idea why it doesn't like it, but it doesn't. Hopefully the game itself, once cracked, won't be as fussy... I'm off now to find out
Old 09-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #15
Jugosloven

It's 2006 September.

I cant play the game.

I double click on the shortcut on my desktop and nothing happens.

Taskmanager shows it to be taking like 13 megs, but it's not working.