You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Tex Murphy: Overseer (avoiding disc swapping)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 02:09 AM   #1

Default tex murphy overseer

Hi could anybody tell me if there is away that I can copy all 5 cd's of tex murphy overseer to my hard drive so that i don't have to keep swapping over the disk's. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:58 AM   #2
Schoolgirl From Hell

In that same vein can anyone tell me how to run it on Win XP?

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 09-17-2003, 12:52 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to The Poisoned Pawn Send a message via AIM to The Poisoned Pawn Send a message via MSN to The Poisoned Pawn Send a message via Yahoo to The Poisoned Pawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira
In that same vein can anyone tell me how to run it on Win XP?
The DVD version may be tricky to get the video working on XP, but you can install the game easily. Pop Disc 1 in your drive, and open up Windows Explorer. View the contents of the disc, and right click on "Setup". Select "Properties" and go to the "Compatibility" tab. Check the box "Run this program in the comapatibility mode for:" and select "Windows 95" or "Windows 98 / ME" from the dropdown box. Click OK and run setup.

The only problem with Overseer on WinXP is that it can crash at a point near the end of the game, and it's unfortunately unavoidable. It happens to me and I can't get passed that part of the game as a result. I don't think everyone has this problem, but I've heard of many people who do.

As for running it off the computer directly, I couldn't say...
Old 06-14-2004, 02:03 PM   #4

Default getting overseer to work...

you can run old games using the compatibility mode...

If you have the cd version use that...

I don't know how to use the compatibility wizard in windows 98... but you can try clicking start, help, search for "compatibility" then look for something like "getting old games to work..." or perhaps "compatibility wizard." Select the setup file, run it in windows 95 mode.

One thing that worked for me (for a bit) on getting the dvd to run in later windows versions was was using the Moonlight Elecard 2.2 mpeg player... install that, then install the 1.04 patch for overseer.

Once in the game go into the config window and select the "mediamatics" option from the first drop down window.

I have the files mentioned in this post... email me if you want them and I will send them to you... will be gone 6-16 to 6-20.

Good Luck!
-Ben
Old 06-26-2004, 07:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboguy
One thing that worked for me (for a bit) on getting the dvd to run in later windows versions was was using the Moonlight Elecard 2.2 mpeg player... install that, then install the 1.04 patch for overseer.

Once in the game go into the config window and select the "mediamatics" option from the first drop down window.
Thanks for this great tip! I've been looking for ages for ways to get the DVD version of Overseer to work on newer PCs. Even better, the Moonlight player also allows me to play the DVD-ROM version of Tender Loving Care.