You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2005, 03:42 PM   #1

Default Gk 1 - Need save file or something

Hi! I'm rather new here, so I appologise if someone has mentioned this before. I scanned through the pages, but I didn't find the solution to my problem. So here it goes:

Do anyone have a save file to the start of chapter five? It always crashes when the phone rings in the beginning...

~Tanja
Old 10-04-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

It's been a long time since I've played the game, but I remember having this problem myself.

I *think* the way I solved it was, I got as close to the last bit of Day 4 as possible, turned the speed of the game as slow as possible, then triggered the Day 5 change. After the cutscene finished, I kicked the speed back up to normal.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 10-04-2005, 02:42 PM   #3

Try the patch on www.gabrielknight2k.tk
If it doesn't help play the game in dosbox
(haven't tried it myself)
Old 10-06-2005, 05:22 PM   #4

Thank you very much I'll try out your tips and let you know how it went soon.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:17 AM   #5

I tried to download a patch, put it on slowest, minimalised the graphics, replayed day 4 to avoid the common ''drum'' problem... I'm lost : Sidenote; I have the floppy drive version
Old 10-10-2005, 06:40 AM   #6

No one have save files? Then I just have to give up on the game for the time being; I've tried every thing I can think of.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:06 PM   #7

I have a save at the start of Day 5, but I played the cd version. If you want to try it, download it from here http://www.mytempdir.com/201121
Old 10-11-2005, 02:55 AM   #8

My floppydrive version wouldn't accept the save, but thanks for trying to help
Old 10-11-2005, 03:38 AM   #9

I know this problem very well: we encountered it when first playing the game, at the time of its release. At the time, that meant contacting Sierra, waiting for them to find a fix and to send a disc with this fix. Now, you can just download a patch from their site.

A major problem with it, though: it changes the interpreter, and will therefore make your previous savegames incompatible, and you'll have to restart the game. It wasn't that fun 12 years ago, I guess it won't be now either. Yet, GK is interesting and well-written; replaying through part of it is not that bad.

I guess that will teach you to always check for patches before starting to play a game. Although I must say that Sierra's site is especially unhelpful, and doesn't list half of the patches. My advice is to just browse the ftp server and download anything that bears a name that may relate to the game you want to play, to check if it may be useful. It usually feels like a waste of time but, as you see, it actually isn't. (we really need a "cheerful" smiley, as in "don't be too sad", not "I'm happy"; well, that's what the previous one was supposed to mean)

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 10-11-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #10

This haven't happened to me before, but I seldom buy old games so that may be the reason. Guess I have to replay then; it won't be that bad though. Thank you very much for the help I'll remember to search for patches first the next time.

And yes; there should be a bigger smiley collection on the site