View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 03:38 AM   #9
Kurufinwe

I know this problem very well: we encountered it when first playing the game, at the time of its release. At the time, that meant contacting Sierra, waiting for them to find a fix and to send a disc with this fix. Now, you can just download a patch from their site.

A major problem with it, though: it changes the interpreter, and will therefore make your previous savegames incompatible, and you'll have to restart the game. It wasn't that fun 12 years ago, I guess it won't be now either. Yet, GK is interesting and well-written; replaying through part of it is not that bad.

I guess that will teach you to always check for patches before starting to play a game. Although I must say that Sierra's site is especially unhelpful, and doesn't list half of the patches. My advice is to just browse the ftp server and download anything that bears a name that may relate to the game you want to play, to check if it may be useful. It usually feels like a waste of time but, as you see, it actually isn't. (we really need a "cheerful" smiley, as in "don't be too sad", not "I'm happy"; well, that's what the previous one was supposed to mean)

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 10-11-2005 at 11:40 AM.