You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Need help running Broken Sword 3, please!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2003, 02:26 AM   #1
merely human

Default Need help running Broken Sword 3, please!!

I finally secured my own copy of BS3 yesterday.

The problem began after I successfully installed the game for the first time, rebooted Windows, started the game for the first time, and entered the 24 digit code for 'Starforce Encryption'. The game began confirming the code (based on disc 1, the playing disc), but several seconds later it froze, and looked like the game was trying to open a new window but got stalled or frozen in the process. I've tried uninstalling/re-installing several times, and even did a system restore and re-installed it, but the same thing happens.

I have an ugly suspicion it's that cd crack encryption thingie and it may be fighting with something in my system. I don't think it's my end, I have the latest drivers for my GeForce Ti4400, DirectX 9.0b, and I'm on WinME, and 384MB RAM. I meet the requirements. I also habitually shut off any background programs before I begin playing any game (except for Explorer, Systry, and Osd).

Any help, A.S.A.P., would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, I've contacted The Adventure Company about this, too. I hope they get back to me soon.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 11-29-2003 at 02:37 AM.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I finally secured my own copy of BS3 yesterday.

The problem began after I successfully installed the game for the first time, rebooted Windows, started the game for the first time, and entered the 24 digit code for 'Starforce Encryption'.
Um... what encryption? At least for me, it was just install-and-go - to the same problem as you have below.

Quote:
The game began confirming the code (based on disc 1, the playing disc), but several seconds later it froze, and looked like the game was trying to open a new window but got stalled or frozen in the process. I've tried uninstalling/re-installing several times, and even did a system restore and re-installed it, but the same thing happens.
Sounds like the same bug I encountered. In my case it was ReForce (or some such monitor refresh rate tool) that tries to set the 800x600 screen to 144Hz - entering ReForce and setting 800x600 to 60Hz allowed the game to start. Well, either that or setting the refresh flag to "default" in one of the dxdiag override settings.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:51 AM   #3
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefect47
Sounds like the same bug I encountered. In my case it was ReForce (or some such monitor refresh rate tool) that tries to set the 800x600 screen to 144Hz - entering ReForce and setting 800x600 to 60Hz allowed the game to start. Well, either that or setting the refresh flag to "default" in one of the dxdiag override settings.
Um, could you please explain in detail how to do this? I don't even know if I have ReForce. Thanks.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-29-2003, 12:23 PM   #4
I'm really Cookin'

Normally you can get into your video settings (refresh, etc.) via right clicking on the desktop, going to properties, settings tab, advanced button (near the bottom right), and then all your video stuff should come up, even if you've got some sort of NVidia or ATI control panel full of tabs. They should all be there.

Edited to add:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSL
I have found out what was the problem. The Nvidia Drivers. I had 52.16 version drivers and the game was freezing. Then i tried with 45.23 version drivers and it is working. So if you have the latest drivers for nvidia..... replace them with the old ones (45.23). These drivers are better than the newer ones. I also noticed it in 3dmarks.
Hey Trep, I just plucked that previous quote from YSL in the "BS3 problem" thread; if you have an NVidia video card and are running those same new drivers, maybe you could try older ones?

I haven't heard about a refresh issue with BS3, but here's my little Starforce saga. If you've got a SCSI CD-ROM drive in your PC, Trep, this info may also help. I'm surprised that BS3 is Starforce! I played BS3 without incident, but I have a Plextor SCSI CD-ROM drive, and The Black Mirror's Starforce encription drove me nuts. It would continually tell me it could not find the game CD in the SCSI drive whenever Starforce would try to run its check. However, the game played fine through my IDE Toshiba DVD player in the same PC. I finally experimented and unplugged the power from the DVD player altogether (inside the computer), at which point the Starforce recognized when my SCSI CD-ROM drive had The Black Mirror in it and played fine. Apparently Starforce, upon seeing both an IDE and a SCSI drive, assumed the SCSI drive was some sort of emulator instead of a real drive and refused to let me run the game through it. Jeez, BS3 must have an updated version of Starforce that deals better with that problem, though, because I ran BS3 fine through my SCSI drive, leaving my DVD drive plugged in and everything.

Last edited by Skinny Minnie; 11-29-2003 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:53 PM   #5
merely human

Okay! Skinnie and Prefect47, thanks for your help. I found a solution, albeit a rather roundabout one (just like in your typical adventure game, eh?) I tried setting my desktop resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768, ran the game - and it worked!! I dunno how the hell, but it worked. It was never the stupid encryption thing anyway, heh.

The game looks incredible graphically, much more so than I had expected - so sunny, luminous, and colourful. And the interface and controls? Smooth, responsive, thoughtfully simple. I can't ever fathom what the hell these traditional adventure gamers are complaining about, whiny little bitches! It's child's play moving through this gameworld.

Well, I'll save my more detailed thoughts to post in the 'Broken Sword 3: what do you think so far?' thread in the main forum. Thanks again, guys!

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 11-29-2003 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:27 PM   #6
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Okay! Skinnie and Prefect47, thanks for your help. I found a solution, albeit a rather roundabout one (just like in your typical adventure game, eh?) I tried setting my desktop resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768, ran the game - and it worked!! I dunno how the hell, but it worked. It was never the stupid encryption thing anyway, heh.
You deserved all that hazzle when you set your resolution to 800x600...
Old 11-29-2003, 02:39 PM   #7
merely human

My monitor is old, I am very poor and don't have Mummy and Daddy crapping money on me anymore, and unless you buy me a new and better one mind your own business.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:01 AM   #8
AKA Morte

I'm sorry, Beiddie.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:42 AM   #9
merely human

Forgiven. But when I first see you in Uru Live you're gonna have to bend over so I stick a cone on your ass and call you 'Mary'. That'll learn ya'.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:03 AM   #10
AKA Morte

Can't wait.