You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Yahoo '100 Greatest Games Of All Time'

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 06:39 AM   #2
kamikaze hummingbirds

Tetris is fun but... greatest game of all time?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
Tetris is fun but... greatest game of all time?
I know.. It should have been Ocarina of Time or FFVII.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:57 AM   #4
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection
I know.. It should have been Ocarina of Time or FFVII.
Yes, because Final Fantasy VII is a truly great game ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-28-2005, 06:58 AM   #5

I don't think I saw The Longest Journey there! ;/
Old 07-28-2005, 07:06 AM   #6
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Yes, because Final Fantasy VII is a truly great game ...
Well, it is.

Besides, I'd figured folks here would be happy with this list. We finally have one with an adventure game in the top 10.

mag
Old 07-28-2005, 07:21 AM   #7

Wave Race 64?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:00 AM   #8
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Monkey Island 2 made the top 10. That's pretty damn cool.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 07-28-2005, 08:04 AM   #9
gin soaked boy

Who cares what some list says?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:12 AM   #10
Kiss My Face

Send a message via MSN to scabb

That's actually not a bad top 10, though. I love all of those games, other than Elite which was made a year before my birth. I'm don't plan on playing it either, the graphics aren't rad enough.

Nice to not see all the GTA3 and Halo games hogging the top 10 too. Tetris is ace. Some people spend way too much time on it though.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:35 AM   #11

No strategy games at all in the top 50. How is that possible? The list is not worth my time. Where are Civ, HOMM, Warcraft, and C&C games?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:51 AM   #12
mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
No strategy games at all in the top 50. How is that possible? The list is not worth my time. Where are Civ, HOMM, Warcraft, and C&C games?
They do have a couple of Sim games, which are kind of strategy-esque.

But yeah. You really can't have a top 100 list without at least including Civilization and StarCraft. But I think we all know by now that all of these lists are hideously flawed.

mag
Old 07-28-2005, 11:05 AM   #13
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
But I think we all know by now that all of these lists are hideously flawed.
Damn straight... For one I don't think games age as nearly as well as movies. People make these lists with the intention of rating games "for their time" and "for how much they influenced their genre"...what a joke. Some games like FF6 (and all FF games that came after from a visual standpoint) and early 90s adventure games have aged very well and are just as fun when played today, but honestly...who the hell still plays the original Doom? Who still plays Goldeneye 007? Who still plays the original Tetris (even though I used to play the heck out of it)?

These lists are a joke because no one actually wants to play, at this point in time, over half the games on any of these lists. Films, on the other hand, just don't age much which is precisely why I don't have a problem with those lists (even when I disagree with them). If I said The Rules of the Game is a Top 10 film, I wouldn't mean, "The Rules of the Game is a Top 10 film because of the way it influenced French cinema in the late 30's." No, I would say it's a Top 10 film because it's still brilliant not only as a great influence for films made today, but also as a fantastic film to watch today. I understand that many games owe Super Mario Bros. a big thank you, but is that a reason to put it above the better games that have come out since? In the case of The Rules of the Game, there are actually very few films that have ever come out that are better, and that seems like a superior criteria for making a Top 10.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:17 AM   #14
mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
These lists are a joke because no one actually wants to play, at this point in time, over half the games on any of these lists.
I actually disagree with that. I still enjoy playing a lot of the classics. Tetris in particular is one that still holds up today.

mag
Old 07-28-2005, 11:19 AM   #15
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
I actually disagree with that. I still enjoy playing a lot of the classics. Tetris in particular is one that still holds up today.

mag
Well, as I said...many of the games have aged well. The point I tried (and I guess failed) to get across with Tetris is that I've already played the hell out of that thing to the point that it holds no interest for me. The game itself has aged fine...unfortunately most haven't.

EDIT: But I do love classic games too, in general. Some are still fun. But a game like Doom, that's just not nearly as fun as many more recent shooters. I've tried it again recently, and it's a game I used to think was great. Heh.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 07-28-2005 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:25 AM   #16

What an incredibly crappy list. Gamespy's top 50 games of all time is much closer to what I'd perceive as the best games ever. Even their Title Fight was superior, even though a bit more flawed than Gamespy's own list.

About games aging not as good as movies: I have to agree to a certain extent. The problem is that in movies, there were only a couple of really big transitions over the last years that could really create the feeling that old movies were inferior (for example black&white -> color), while there have many "revolutions" like that over the last 10 years on computer gaming. It's a sign that games are still a very young medium. I guess there was a similar period in the starting years of cinema, but I'm not enough of a movie expert to go deeper into that.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:35 AM   #17
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

good to see Mi2 up there, but no Grim Fandango, Splinter Cell or Thief? Low placing for Deus Ex, no Rome Total War, etc etc
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 07-29-2005, 04:04 AM   #18
T.J. Hooker's Lovechild

Sports games in these lists always put me off. Is Pro Evolution Soccer 4 a better, more important game than Super Mario World or Elite? A sports game that is a sequel made last year already beats out almost everything else ever made? Meh.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:21 AM   #19

It's actually a very good list. Apart from few crappy games like Everquest, Mortal Kombat and Final Fantasy VII...

Tetris isn't nearly my favorite game ever but it pretty much is the perfect videogame. It's easy to learn but challening, has endless replay value and is very addictive. Gotta respect the wonderful game design.

The only complaint I have with the list is that Super Metroid is WAY too low.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:47 AM   #20
mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
But a game like Doom, that's just not nearly as fun as many more recent shooters. I've tried it again recently, and it's a game I used to think was great. Heh.
Okay, first person shooters I can see. I guess they don't age as well because they're a lot more dependent on the technology. It's a much more visceral experience than a lot of other genres. But I think most other games age a lot better...even side scrolling shooters.

And I've also seen a lot of older movies that haven't aged too well, by the way. There's a lot more crap than cream in any medium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazukko
It's actually a very good list. Apart from few crappy games like Everquest, Mortal Kombat and Final Fantasy VII...
You know not of what you speak.

mag