You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Anyone seen the FF7 Tech Demo.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 08:38 AM   #1
kamikaze hummingbirds

Default Anyone seen the FF7 Tech Demo.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/finalfantasyvii/media.html. It's the Final Fantasy 7 technical demo for PS3 shown at e3.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
kamikaze hummingbirds

"So, Andy, where do you want to go for your holidays?"
"Helsinki."
"What about Florida, it's very cheap these days, you've always wanted to go to Florida!"
"No. Helsinki."
"Are you sure?"
"Yep"
Plane takes off.
"I wanna go to Florida!"
Old 05-29-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Wow, that's beautiful. I'm sorry I missed it at E3. I'd love to see FF7 (or FF8 ) remade in that style.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Don't forget Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, and Final Fantasy VII: Before Crisis. Before we all wanted more Final Fantasy VII. Now, we're buried in it.

And I'm sure Squenix is counting on all of the FF7 remake rumors that will arise out of the tech demo to promote this onslaught of FF7 titles. Part of me can't wait. But another part of me remembers what those bastards did to Final Fantasy X.

mag
Old 05-29-2005, 08:29 PM   #5

Square made an FFVIII tech demo for the PS2 unveiling, and they never did a remake of that. I see no reason to believe an FF7 remake is in the cards. Especially with all the se/prequels.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:48 PM   #6
Cheeky Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to vansau Send a message via MSN to vansau Send a message via Yahoo to vansau

To be honest, Squenix doesn't really have too much else going for it these days. Even Kingdom Hearts II has that same buggy camera from before... Star Ocean had its share of problems, Drakengard was abysmal, Final Fantasy X-2 was just annoying... I think Squaresoft needs to become its own company again. I realize it's a stretch, but all the crap games seemed to start coming out after they merged with Enix.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:01 PM   #7
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Don't forget Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, and Final Fantasy VII: Before Crisis. Before we all wanted more Final Fantasy VII. Now, we're buried in it.

And I'm sure Squenix is counting on all of the FF7 remake rumors that will arise out of the tech demo to promote this onslaught of FF7 titles. Part of me can't wait. But another part of me remembers what those bastards did to Final Fantasy X.

mag
they aren't going to mess up this time.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansau
To be honest, Squenix doesn't really have too much else going for it these days. Even Kingdom Hearts II has that same buggy camera from before... Star Ocean had its share of problems, Drakengard was abysmal, Final Fantasy X-2 was just annoying... I think Squaresoft needs to become its own company again. I realize it's a stretch, but all the crap games seemed to start coming out after they merged with Enix.
Square was releasing buggy, boring crap long before they merged with Enix. Really, aside from Vagrant Story and the Final Fantasy series, most of their games have been amazing undercooked since the PSOne days. SaGa Frontier anyone?
Old 05-29-2005, 11:27 PM   #9
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Is it real? Most all the "PS3" stuff shown at E3 was apparently faked, including the graphics hardware used to display it all.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 05-29-2005, 11:38 PM   #10
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

There is no PS3 hardware, so for all we know they could just be bullshitting us.

But apparently, this is made 'to spec'. Then, of course, the FFVII tech demo for the PS2 was just a cinematic, and had nothing to do with the capabilities of the PS2.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:22 AM   #11
Epinionated.

Secret of Mana and the Chrono Trigger's weren't "buggy, boring crap"... evidently it could be the transfer to 3D proved a difficult one with the scope of their titles, as it did with everyone else in the PS days.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
There is no PS3 hardware, so for all we know they could just be bullshitting us.

But apparently, this is made 'to spec'. Then, of course, the FFVII tech demo for the PS2 was just a cinematic, and had nothing to do with the capabilities of the PS2.
I assume you mean the FFVIII dancing scene rendered in realtime on the PS2 specs. And if you think those doesn't reflect the power of the PS2, then I suggest you check the video again. For some reason, people mix up the pre-rendered dancing scene that was in the actual game and the demo on the PS2, which had Squall and Rinoa dancing in a large, dark, empty room, and it looks nothing like the pre-rendered scene from the PSone game. The PS2 have surpassed this a long time ago, as well as all the other tech-demos that were shown. If you want to check it out, the demos are on the IGN website, free for download.

So, since the PS2 lived up to its tech-demos, I don't see why the PS3 sholdn't live up to ITS tech-demos.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:11 AM   #13
mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoville
Square made an FFVIII tech demo for the PS2 unveiling, and they never did a remake of that. I see no reason to believe an FF7 remake is in the cards. Especially with all the se/prequels.
Since when has reason ever stopped the Final Fantasy rumor mills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansau
To be honest, Squenix doesn't really have too much else going for it these days.
They have Final Fantasy. What else do they really need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
they aren't going to mess up this time.
Oh, if only I could believe you. But Squenix has betrayed me too many times in the past. Final Fantasy XI. Kingdom Hearts. Final Fantasy X-2. These are crimes against humanity, my friend!

Besides, the ending to Final Fantasy VII was pretty much perfect. Even though I love FF7, I kind of wish they would just leave it alone. If you tinker around with something that good, you're just going to screw it up, even if you're a good writer.

mag
Old 05-30-2005, 11:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Secret of Mana and the Chrono Trigger's weren't "buggy, boring crap"... evidently it could be the transfer to 3D proved a difficult one with the scope of their titles, as it did with everyone else in the PS days.
That's why I said "since the PSOne." I loved them on the SNES.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #15
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
So, since the PS2 lived up to its tech-demos, I don't see why the PS3 sholdn't live up to ITS tech-demos.
PS2 nowhere near lived up to its tech demos, unless you think that ingame graphics (the actual playable, interactive stuff with AI and everything else in place as opposed to real time renderings of scripted animation sequences) doesn't have to be as good as what is shown in the tech demos.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
PS2 nowhere near lived up to its tech demos, unless you think that ingame graphics (the actual playable, interactive stuff with AI and everything else in place as opposed to real time renderings of scripted animation sequences) doesn't have to be as good as what is shown in the tech demos.
How long has it been since you've seen the tech-demos? The PS2 surpassed them alright. If you can't see that, it's because you won't see that. The tech-demos are not much to look at today, but I believe you remember them to look much better than they did. That happens, you know.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
I used to think that.

Then I went back and actually looked at the tech demos.

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Tekken 5, God of War, GT 2 and 3, etc are all leaps and bounds beyond anything the demos showed.

Go back and look at the demos. They don't look nearly as impressive as you remember them.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Most people's views on Square's SNES days are greatly skewed. Square only released one or two of their games in America per year back then. These were typically their best games. Now we get the vast majority of their titles and we see that only half of them or so are great. Some of their Super Nintendo titles like Bahamut Lagoon, Live a Live, and Rudra's Secret Treasure weren't supposed to be all that hot, but they never came to America. And even among the few games that were localized, a couple were hated by many. Remember Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest and Secret of Evermore?

Besides, saying games like Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X-2 are crap is a bit of a stretch considering how many people love them and the large number of glowing reviews they received. Personally, they are two of my favorite games.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:09 PM   #19
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez
That's why I said "since the PSOne." I loved them on the SNES.
The thing is, the Sketch ability in FF6 was really buggy (in fact, it could mess up the game).
Old 05-31-2005, 04:16 AM   #20
mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoville
Besides, saying games like Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X-2 are crap is a bit of a stretch considering how many people love them and the large number of glowing reviews they received.
Hey, it's not my fault if a lot of people love crap.

mag