You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General I keep changing my mind about character classes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2003, 11:33 PM   #1
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune
Default I keep changing my mind... (Rantzilla returns)

For some people who change their minds often and have trouble deciding, some games are HELL!

RPG are the worst... what can I be? A rouge? A wizard?
When playing Neverwinter Nights I was at first a Druid... But I soon decided I wanted to be a rogue... But in the last minute I changed my mind and became a monk.... But I'm thinking I might be a rogue again.... Doh!

And even with Diablo II.... I was a nigromant... but I just found out that Battle.net deletes your account if you don't use in several months! So now I might be a nigromant or a druid... It seems you're a weirdo if you pick a female character, so I can't be an assasin... (I wonder why? Its not like you play online RPGs to get a date, right?)

I found an MUD called RetroMud, it had 20 species, 100 classes, etc... I just had to give up before even starting... The more info I had the more indecisive...

RPG aren't the only games I waste time choosing and changing stuff...

On Worms I spend more time thinking of good names for my team mates (Bogey B. wont do), and then choosing the voices and such....

On Warcraft III I can't choose my favourite race... it was easy when it was Orks vs humans... (MY ORCS DINE HUMAN FLESH TONIGHT!), and with Starcraft I like Zergs...

Sigh maybe next time I'll just enie mini manie moe (how do you spell this anyway?)?

Great, now I can't decide wether to continue ranting or not!
Ok, ok, I'll stop now.... Am I the only one with this problem? I guess so...

BTW, For NWN this might others but it didn't help me....
Old 11-11-2003, 12:01 AM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
It seems you're a weirdo if you pick a female character, so I can't be an assasin... (I wonder why? Its not like you play online RPGs to get a date, right?)
I don't know what sort of community you play games with, but I've certainly never observed anything like this. I mean, three out of seven of the classes are female; that's just about half. And on top of that, I'd say the most popular classes are amazons, barbarians, and sorceresses--two out of three of those are female. I'm playing a druid at the moment, but the sorceress is the character I've played the most by far (probably 80% or so of all my Diablo II playing time is with the sorceress). Go ahead and be an assassin, I guarantee you nobody cares.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-11-2003, 12:23 AM   #3
ACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I don't know what sort of community you play games with, but I've certainly never observed anything like this. I mean, three out of seven of the classes are female; that's just about half. And on top of that, I'd say the most popular classes are amazons, barbarians, and sorceresses--two out of three of those are female. I'm playing a druid at the moment, but the sorceress is the character I've played the most by far (probably 80% or so of all my Diablo II playing time is with the sorceress). Go ahead and be an assassin, I guarantee you nobody cares.
Ok,but what about NWN and other online RPGs? Does anybody give a damn there?
Would any body care if I'm a female rogue/assasin? Or a female monk? I just hate all the male portraits....
Old 11-11-2003, 12:26 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I've never played NWN, but I honestly doubt anyone cares. The characters are there for a reason. I find it hard to believe that people don't play female characters in those games.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-11-2003, 12:39 AM   #5
ACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I've never played NWN, but I honestly doubt anyone cares. The characters are there for a reason. I find it hard to believe that people don't play female characters in those games.
In NWN you can choose the sex of your character, it only changes the appearence... You can be a female or male of anything...
But in Diablo II you can't... Hmm, maybe I'm making a big deal out of this....
Old 11-11-2003, 12:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
Hmm, maybe I'm making a big deal out of this....
I think that would be a reasonable statement

Old 11-11-2003, 01:34 AM   #7
Joop Sloop

If you hate being given choices, you could always try pong?
Old 11-11-2003, 10:49 AM   #8
delusions of adequacy

Nigromant? Necromancer?

I feel the same way playing the female classes in diablo 2, Even when playing with friends they say weird things. If you play public games I always get treated differently and sometimes hit on, especially by lewd young kids. I blame the graphics, I would play the assassin if it was male but instead I must cavort around in tight black leather underwear with lots of supple white flesh exposed. The amazon has bigger breasts than her head in some outfits. Kind of weird when she uses a bow, I would love for them to cut one off like the real amazons.

I have played all the classes except for the necromancer because they are hard to keep alive. Now that I enjoy playing hardcore I tend to play shapeshifting druids or barbarians just because they live longer.

Its odd I tried to play a shapeshifting druid in neverwinter nights but It wasn't as fun, you have to rest a lot to get your abilities back. In D&D based games I tend to make sneaky little characters like my halfling rogue 'Rod Stewart'. Unfortunately Bioware games tend to be very combat focused that ramp up in difficulty as the game progresses. Neverwinter nights was no exception and I ended up having to cheat to finish the game with that particular character.

If you're on US west realm, look out for Prophylactix the druid. Smokey isn't the only bear concerned for your saftey! Always use a condom.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:32 AM   #9

Hmm, that's just so strange. I've never seen anything like it. I mean, there are tons and tons and tons of each character class. I honestly believe that more people play female classes in D2 than male classes. Maybe you guys are just unlucky?

Old 11-11-2003, 12:12 PM   #10
(Va-yoosh)

I only play Fallout where there is no problem with choosing the class (S.P.E.C.I.A.L is a classless system) . I can create a very convincing and versatile character that is not limited by some abstract class.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:21 PM   #11
delusions of adequacy

True the system can theoretically be classless, however the games themselves are also very combat focused. The lack of a 'true' science-boy path through the games has been an issue for a lot of die hard fans. Something the rumored sequel under development by Black Isle is hoped will address.

Kotor suffers the same problem. The tight, movie like story is very limiting in terms of character variation. Once again the focus is on combat and avoiding a lot of it is impossible.

Spoiler:
Even to complete the game you must face off against a 'boss'

Variety in 'how do I kill this' is small comfort compared to variety in solving puzzles and avoiding confrontation.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:01 AM   #12
(Va-yoosh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk

True the system can theoretically be classless, however the games themselves are also very combat focused. The lack of a 'true' science-boy path through the games has been an issue for a lot of die hard fans. Something the rumored sequel under development by Black Isle is hoped will address.
You can actually complete the game without even killing the single creature. You have stealth skills after all and if you don't want to bother with'em you can join companions and make'em kill your enemies.
There's also more than one possible way to solve most quests. Sometimes combat is an option (though it always gives you less expierience for killing someone than for example for persuding him), sometimes it's even not available at all as many quests are based on science/doctor skills only and the outcome is either succes, failure or part-succes (f.e. you managed to kick off the generators but only to 50%).

Quote:
Spoiler:
Even to complete the game you must face off against a 'boss'
The science skills and/or rhetorics can help you with that also.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:53 AM   #13
Dazed, not Confused

If you cant pick your sex dont worry about it. If you can dont pick the opposite to yourself, otherwise you're a weirdo, and don't give me that "but I'm roleplaying" crap. For the 10 minutes I played diablo 2 I played a sorceress too but only cos I played a sorcerer in d1
Old 11-12-2003, 07:12 AM   #14
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccas
If you cant pick your sex dont worry about it. If you can dont pick the opposite to yourself, otherwise you're a weirdo, and don't give me that "but I'm roleplaying" crap. For the 10 minutes I played diablo 2 I played a sorceress too but only cos I played a sorcerer in d1
Wouldn't that make you a weirdo when you were playing D1?
Old 11-12-2003, 10:51 PM   #15
ACK!

Good thing I changed my mind and I kept my monk... But I still can't decide what to be in Diablo II...
Old 11-13-2003, 01:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
Wouldn't that make you a weirdo when you were playing D1?
Well, the magic-using character in D1 was a male, not a female. That said, I think Maccas is a weirdo anyway based on his last post. It's ridiculous to condemn someone because of what gender they play in a game (a GAME), particularly in games like D2 which have gender-specific classes. If you want to play an assassin (for example) you have to be female. It's just how it is. The percentage of females who play that game is probably a negligible fraction of a percent (let's not kid ourselves) so if people followed Maccas' advice, almost half of the characters would never get used.

Old 11-13-2003, 04:59 AM   #17
Hopeful skeptic

Mocking the choice of female characters sounds like a 6 year old saying "Eeewwww, GIRLS!!"

Eventually, those people will hit (mental) puberty and realize there are reasons one MIGHT want to control a hot-bodied babe on screen rather than play a computerized version of G.I. Joe with Kung Fu Grip all the time. And THEN they'll grow up a little more (hopefully) and realize it's all about the gameplay.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:29 AM   #18
ACK!

I just got Morrowind Game Of the Year Edition!
And yet again I can't choose what to be...
BTW do cube jellies appear in NWN? Or Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale?
Mmmm, jellies.....
If people think you are a freak for picking a girl, do they think you're a furry if you pick a druid or a species that looks like an animal?
Old 11-23-2003, 07:11 PM   #19
Dazed, not Confused

What I meant, was, in diablo 1/2 you cannot pick whether you're necromancer is a female/male, same with sorcie, so go for your life if you want to play zon, asn, or sorc, but say you we're playing Arcanum, and you said, I wasnt to be a female halfling, then you're a weirdo, sorry if that was unclear.