You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Half-Life 2: What happened?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2003, 05:05 AM   #1
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax
Default Half-Life 2: What happened?

What happened to Half-Life 2? I know it was delayed, but it seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. Valve was talking about it so much, saying how little we'd have to wait to get it, and then they go back underground with it. I hope whoever leaked the code for it slips on a banana peel.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 11-23-2003, 05:07 AM   #2
merely human

W.I.D.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-23-2003, 06:12 AM   #3
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Well, they stated a while ago that it's not going to come out until first quarter next year, so I don't see any reason they should be providing constant updates. I forget the exact month, but I think it was January or February. We've got some time left before we should start worrying more about Valve missing another release date.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-23-2003, 06:22 AM   #4

... or May even, last I heard.

Quote:
We've got some time left before we should start worrying more about Valve missing another release date.
That's not really fair. You're making it sound like it's their fault. From what I can tell, they would have made their september release if those hacker losers hadn't screwed it up. Now they have to rewrite just about all of the Steam and anti-cheating code, no small task.

And even if it wasn't all the hackers' fault and it was also delayed because it was quite simply not done... what would you rather have them do? Release a bug-ridden version to make a quick buck... or go the Blizzard route and hold off release till it's reallly done?

I'll take the Blizzard alternative any day, thank you very much!
Old 11-23-2003, 06:31 AM   #5
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

(. They decided to scrap Half-life 2. Apparently noone is really interested in the game anyway. .)

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 11-23-2003, 06:31 AM   #6
merely human

Yeah, remixor, that was harsh. 20 lashes with a wet noodle!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-23-2003, 07:59 AM   #7
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
W.I.D.
What has the World Institute on Disability got to do with this?

Or is that "wither in denial"?
Old 11-23-2003, 08:03 AM   #8
merely human

LMAO

W.I.D. = "When it's done." - George Broussard, 3DRealms (answering question on Duke Nukem Forever's date of completion)

.....but World Institute on Disability could easily apply here as well, heh heh heh.......
Old 11-23-2003, 08:21 AM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Er, sorry. I didn't mean to come off as accusing Valve of anything. I meant my post as what it indicated literally. When I said "I don't see any reason they should be providing constant updates," I wasn't being sarcastic, I just meant there's no need for them to do that, so we shouldn't worry about the game being fux0red. When I said the bit about them missing a release date, I didn't mean it in a negative way. They DID miss one but I didn't mean it's because they're lazy or anything; I assumed people would know the hacker situation and thus fill in the appropriate context. I'm probably not even going to buy the game, so it really makes no difference to me whether it comes out first quarter next year or a decade from now.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-23-2003, 10:51 AM   #10

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BUY HALF LIFE 2??? :eek:

You call yourself a gamer?

*waits for BacardiJim to come in and explain the difference between a gamer and an adventure gamer*

Just kidding, remix. Fair enough... I guess not everyone is as excited about this game as I am. If it turns out as good as I think it will, it will redifine action-oriented interactive storytelling.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:07 AM   #11
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

It may be because his computer could barely play BS3...
Old 11-23-2003, 12:48 PM   #12

ah yes... forgot about that for a sec. Come to think of it I'm not entirely sure how it will run on mine. Wait and see I guess...
Old 11-23-2003, 01:38 PM   #13
Revolution Fanatic

Valve have had such a huge media blackout that it's also backfired on them, people have picked apart the game and valve, well they are saying nothing! They have been in a sulk for months and there may be some signs that they have wet their bed pillow enough and have loads of bruzies from the kicking.
Also other dev's actually laugh at how childish valve have been over the affair, yes their source got stolen, but annoying fans by saying absolutely nothing just isn't good Relations.
Oh yeah look CS:CZ hasn't made it's release date, anyone actually genuinaly supurised at that one?
Look on Planethalflife.com 's current poll:
Do you trust information from Valve?

Huh?! Of course I trust them. Yes! 15%
After the CS:CZ & HL2 delays and all the Steam problems? No. 85%

Total Votes: 7969

One good bit of news for myself is my gfx has only dropped £10 from since I brought it, I rushed to buy ready for HL2 and the game got delayed. On another positive side BS3 ran PERFECTLY, it never once crashed.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:06 PM   #14
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Planet Half-Life has become a very lame fansite, like most of GameSpy in general. They were constantly ripping on Valve when the leak occured.

I haven't tried Steam a lot myself, but I understand it is very glitchy. I hope they fix it in time for the game's release... who knows, maybe that's why they're delaying it?
Old 11-23-2003, 03:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
It may be because his computer could barely play BS3...

You got it

Old 11-23-2003, 06:32 PM   #16

hl2 will be dissapointing, it looks good so far but i know its gonna be dissapointing like a lot of games ive been looking foward to.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:49 PM   #17

So just take it at face value instead of wanting to think of it as the savior of gaming or something. If you KNOW it's going to be a disappointment, you'd think it would be sort of easy to adjust your expectations.