You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Shells, rockets and turtles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2005, 04:20 AM   #1

Default Shells, rockets and turtles

Turbo Turtles is here!

http://turbo.ninjadodo.com/

a cartoony multiplayer arcade game with rocket-powered turtles

- up to 3 players
- Battle mode (crash into your opponents) and Tag mode (avoid explosion)
- 3 different playable characters
- 4 levels

Me and some fellow students have just finished work on this game so I thought I'd post it here and see what you guys think.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:03 AM   #2
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Downloading, looks really promising!
Old 05-08-2005, 12:22 PM   #3

By the way, though it works fine for most, a couple of people have had trouble running the game, so if anyone can't get it to work it would be great if they could let me know what happened so we can maybe fix it for the next version... for example, it turns out if you try to run the game directly from the zip file you get a Visual C++ error message. The game has to be unzipped properly for it to work.

Any gameplay suggestions would be more than welcome as well of course. We pretty much ran out of time on this so there's already a lot of ideas and refinements that we didn't get to implement but will probably make it into the next version, and there's plenty room for more.

In case you're wondering before braving the rather hefty download, the game kind of plays like a cross between Asteroids and Mario Kart (battle)... but with rocket-powered turtles.

The idea is you bash into your opponents with your head in your shell to hurt them and you can hide in your shell for defense as well. Health is indicated by smoke coming from the rocket-pack; No smoke is full health, light grey smoke is two lives left, dark smoke is one life and black smoke is death.

Then there's a powerup that allows you to hit opponents even when they're hiding in their shell. That's Battle mode...

In Tag mode, one player start with a bomb strapped to his back and 60 seconds to go... He can transfer it to other players by crashing into them with his head in his shell (the momentum sends the TNT flying) and whoever has the TNT when the time runs out loses.

We were going to implement rounds for three player mode, but didn't have time, so instead there's two bombs when you play Tag with three. A bit crazy, but it sorta works...

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 05-08-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:09 AM   #4

It seems my webserver is down at the moment making the game temporarily unavailable...

So has anyone played it yet?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:15 AM   #5
gin soaked boy

I'd love to play it, but it'll have to wait. It seems I'll be stuck on dial-up till fall so 32MB (if I remember the size correctly) is just a bit too much right now. But at least you'll have enough time to refine it till then
Old 05-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #6

WOOH! My webserver is back up! Thing is I can't read my email either when it's down. Anyway, those brave enough to download the full 37 megs (or those with broadband) can now once again download the game.

I will try and see what we can do about the filesize though. Maybe there's some way we can compress the images better or something. I've already made sure there's no superfluous development stuff in there. It was 42 MB before...

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 05-09-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:24 PM   #7
merely human

[PETA] Were any turtles harmed during the making of this game? HUH? WERE THEY? ANSWER ME!! [/PETA]
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #8

If you mean toasted in lava, blown up with TNT and generally assassinated in a whole range of colourful ways, then yes... sadly some turtles were harmed in the making of this game. Of course all you do is hit "Rematch" and they're back again... so no harm done, really.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:30 AM   #9

If 37 megs was a bit much, maybe 22 MB is a little more reasonable:

http://ninjadodo.com/downloads/turbogame.zip

The game is now much better compressed and comes with a simple installer, making the whole process a bit more straightforward. Anyone played it yet?
Old 05-14-2005, 10:05 AM   #10
Citizen of Bizarro World

I've had the zip file for almost a week now. Installed it today. Looks like fun, it's just a shame that there's no one around to play it with at the moment.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 05-14-2005, 10:36 AM   #11
gin soaked boy

If you use rar or, even better, ace instead of zip and set the compression level to high, it will be even smaller

Okay, I'm asking for too much now, I'll download it tomorrow and give it a try.