You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Xbox memory transfer question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2005, 07:43 PM   #1
merely human

Default Xbox memory transfer question

Helloooo. I just bought myself an Xbox today (I've been playing on my nephew's box til now). My question is, how do I transfer all my saved games from his box to mine using a memory card?

I've been trying to figure it out. Accordingly, with the memory card shoved into the controller, when I select the memory setting it shows me what's stored in the hard disk. But the only option is to delete, there is none to 'copy' stored info from the hard drive onto the card. However, there are two stored saves already in the card when I bought it, and when I click the memory card setting there is an option to copy those saves into the box's hard drive.

Am I not getting something here? Please advise. Thanks.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-06-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Trep, did you try to load the game from the save, then save it in the same place to the memory card? I think that's how we did it.

FGM-Lyn
Old 05-06-2005, 09:00 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to hengst2404 Send a message via Yahoo to hengst2404

Actually, what you do is turn the xbox on, with a memory card in the controller and then instead of loading a game, select memory on the options. Then just follow the prompts to see what is on your hard driver. then just select the files to copy onto the card.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:20 PM   #4
merely human

That's what I've been trying to do. The problem is that 'copy' option never shows up, it's only 'delete'. Why is that? I have a Madcatz brand memory cartridge, and its seems to work fine.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-06-2005, 11:27 PM   #5
delusions of adequacy

Then when you have some free time go out and buy Breakdown for it. Amazing little game that references Halo and Half life (1) and has a unique vomit inducing realism to it. Awesome twist thrown in Waaaay too late in the game has you forgetting the similarities to its predecessor games, assuming you survive that far. Hardest game ever. Stick it on Easy for a very difficult but usually enjoyable time. It should be in the 'please buy me for the price of my plastic case' bargain bin by now and its worth it.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:36 PM   #6
merely human

Thanks for the suggestion, I know about that game.

So, maybe you can help with this memory transfer problem.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:04 AM   #7
delusions of adequacy

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and guess you're trying to copy your Jade Empire saves, and possibly your Kotor(1/2) saves.

AFAIK unfortunately those saves are stuck like glue (almost). None of bioware's xbox games support memory cards so you cannot save to the card in game, nor can you transfer them to a memory stick from the xbox menu. If you're determined to transfer them you'll have to look to something like an Action Replay, Maxdrive or a Mega-X-Ke or Gameshark

http://www.megaxkey.com/

I have NO experience with any of these utilities so do your homework if you're determined, or look on it as an excuse to play through Bioware's gems once more.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
merely human

I tried it with Psychonauts but it still doesn't work. That's so damn retarded, why in hell would they not allow you to transfer game save files?!!
Old 05-07-2005, 04:36 PM   #9
Homer of Kittens

Maybe this does not make any sense, but how difficult is it to take out a hard drive from an XBOX? Is it different than a PC? Can't you just open up the XBOX and replace the hard drives?

Firefox rules
Old 05-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #10
merely human

I'm not THAT desperate.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:46 PM   #11
How am I not myself?

The only way to do it is like FGM said. You have to load your game and then save to memory card. Apparently this will not work with Jade Empire though.

It's lame but Microsoft disabled copying save games on the HDD.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:50 PM   #12
merely human

So THAT's how it works. Not all games are enabled to save onto memory cards. You'd have to look at the box where it's indicated. Project Gotham Racing and Tao Feng can be saved onto the card, but Psychonauts, KoTOR, and Jade Empire can't. I wonder if it has to with the memory storage capacity per card.

Shit.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:01 AM   #13
Life and times of...

Quote:
I wonder if it has to with the memory storage capacity per card.
Very possible. I heard that for example KotOR's saves are too big for memory cards...
Old 05-08-2005, 08:48 AM   #14
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I'm not THAT desperate.
You can't do it anyway (without chipping) - Xbox HDs are locked to the machine.

Might be worth looking into Action Replay, or those USB memory sticks that plug into the controller ports - but if you're stuck with a retail Xbox, I think your options are very limited. Time for a sneaky Xbox swap?

I presume it is due to disk space - I was looking at my Psychonauts saves earlier and I think they were quite large.