You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General A Reccomendation - Obscure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2005, 11:04 PM   #1
Banned User

Default A Reccomendation - Obscure

I know a bunch of people here played the demo, but does anyone besides me own the game? I started playing it yesterday, and it is pretty damn awesome! Of course, it's not perfection, but anyone who loves Silent Hill will love this game. It also has wicked gamepad support. I use my Xbox controller with it and it's flawless (except for the fact that i'm about one button short, but whatever ). Anyway, if you see it, pick it up. It's only $20 and you can probably find it even cheaper on eBay. Ok, that's enough endorsing on my part.

Demo (zip file)

Screens

Old 05-06-2005, 11:21 PM   #2
merely human

I wouldn't mind picking this one up for Xbox when it goes for really cheap. T'would be nice to play it co-op with someone.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-06-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I wouldn't mind picking this one up for Xbox when it goes for really cheap. T'would be nice to play it co-op with someone.
Plays co-op on computer too
Old 05-06-2005, 11:38 PM   #4
merely human

It's probably more feasible on Xbox, with the controllers. Just turn out all the lights, kick back on the sofa with your mate, and go head to head with the scares together.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-07-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
Homer of Kittens

The reviews seemed to hammer it though.

Firefox rules
Old 05-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
Epinionated.

I think Tramboi worked on this.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
The reviews seemed to hammer it though.
IGN: 7.6/10 (xbox)
AGG: 2.5/5
Gamespot: 6.1/10
gamespy: 3/5
teamxbox: 7.5/10

Not exactly hammering. Like I said, it has some flaws, but it's well worth it.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #8
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

I played to about halfway through - it was very promising at the beginning and didn't look like it was going to be your average survival horror game - there were puzzles and exploring and the unique ability to change between characters for different puzzles.

Unfortunately the gameplay soon becomes very stale, with monsters jumping out at you at every opportunity. This soon becomes very tedious and frustrating when one of your players dies, and you have to reload a previous saved game!

It could have been great, but unfortunately in my opinion, this only a mediocre attempt at revitalising the survival horror industry!

Old 05-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to feisar

ooh obscure. I totally reccomend this too, one of my fave xbox games (if you look around a bit this game is really cheap too)

The reviews were a bit harsh on obscure because its quite short, isnt that scary and suffers from a lot of the same genre pitfalls that most other games suffer from.

I like it though. Because im a wimp and still get scared by obscure! Im also rubbish at action games and used to adventures which are usually quite short so the length thing didnt worry me. Also at times it really does push itself out of the genre pitfulls and is a really solid well made game. Its really strange how no other developer has tackled the american teenage highschool theme considering the huge amount of trashy films on the subject to draw references from.

The gameplay is fresher and more enjoyable than the last two soul destroyingly backward silent hill games. With those two you suffer the game to enjoy/advance the plot, with obscure its kinda the other way round. The other way round is probably better, these being videogames and all.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:33 PM   #10
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I played the demo because tempsie linked it, and also because Still Life had a trailer of it installed in my computer.

Didn't feel like a outstanding game to me, at least the keyboard controls were a bit awkward. And the story in the demo was mehh...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:42 PM   #11
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Didn't feel like a outstanding game to me, at least the keyboard controls were a bit awkward. And the story in the demo was mehh...
I hated the keyboard controls on the PC demo. This is much better suited experience for console, especially with the typical fixed dynamic camera commone in survival horror games (which for some goddman moronic reason always f#&ks up the gameplay).
Old 05-07-2005, 04:54 PM   #12
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I hated the keyboard controls on the PC demo. This is much better suited experience for console, especially with the typical fixed dynamic camera commone in survival horror games (which for some goddman moronic reason always f#&ks up the gameplay).
Which is why I got that xbox controller adapter for my computer

The demo is kinda weak, but it doesn't let you in much on the story. Trust me, it's better then it leads on to be.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:54 AM   #13

I've finished this on the PS2, and I think I've reccommended it a few times on this forum. Be sure to have someone to play with, though, the coop mode is the best thing about the game.