You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General The Oddworld Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic
Default The Oddworld Games

I noticed there's not a topic on this yet, which surprises me with the level of sick plotlines and puzzles that tend to be in the games...

I got my copy of Stranger's Wrath on monday, and not only do I find it to be the best Oddworld game yet (and I normally detest ego-shooters and variants), but also the best X-Box game ever released. Yes, I dare say that. Before you say "But, but,... KOTOR!", I've seen and played KOTOR, and in my opinion, sorry to say, it doesn't match up. But if it soothes you guys, it does come very close, even if it's not my type of game.

So, what's the opinion about Oddworld games in general around here?
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-24-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
SamNMax

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

And that answers the question how?
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-24-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
Freeware Co-ordinator

Only played the first one, Abe's Oddysee. i remember well the opening section where electronic signs in the background to teach you game basics. The one that particularly sticks in my mind is the training on disarming bombs.

The instructions were supplied line by line as follows (as I recall them)

Sneak up to the bomb (Check!)
Crouch next to the bomb (Check!)
Tap the button on top of the bomb (Check!)
When it stops flashing (would check but too busy raining down in little bits having followed the previous instruction )

I found it an enjoyable if rather weird game. Astonishingly violent (mostly to your character, see above) but nicely versatile for a game that was essentially a scrolling platformer. I especially liked the chant ability to take over other creatures to solve puzzles or just be violent and/or cruel. The slave rescue was a nice touch as well, and it had an effect on your ending. You got a bad, good or special ending depending on whether you saved few, many or all the slaves.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 03-24-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Before you say "But, but,... KOTOR!", I've seen and played KOTOR, and in my opinion, sorry to say, it doesn't match up. But if it soothes you guys, it does come very close, even if it's not my type of game.
I smack thee!

Quote:
So, what's the opinion about Oddworld games in general around here?
I've heard great things about the games. One of my good friends is an Oddworld slut. But somehow I haven't played any of them yet, only watched some clips. It has a crapload of platforming, yes?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-24-2005, 01:29 PM   #6
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
OnThe instructions were supplied line by line as follows (as I recall them)

Sneak up to the bomb (Check!)
Crouch next to the bomb (Check!)
Tap the button on top of the bomb (Check!)
When it stops flashing (would check but too busy raining down in little bits having followed the previous instruction )
*bursts into laughter* That's such a classic! *memories*

Quote:
Astonishingly violent
Excellent summary of the Abe games.

Quote:
I especially liked the chant ability to take over other creatures to solve puzzles or just be violent and/or cruel.
Yes, such a nice game for a sadist to be playing, isn't it just?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I smack thee!
*now feels well smacked*

Quote:
I've heard great things about the games. One of my good friends is an Oddworld slut. But somehow I haven't played any of them yet, only watched some clips. It has a crapload of platforming, yes?
Commonly, yes. Paticularily the Abe games. I think Stranger's Wrath, though, is pretty low on it, even though it definitely plays a part, too. I assume that's what's keeping you from seizing the games by storm?

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-24-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
merely human

Well, aside from Tomb Raider and American McGee's Alice, I'm not so hot for platforming. However, if it's balanced out with story and exploration it's not so bad. I just hate platforming for its own sake, gets dull after a while.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-24-2005, 01:42 PM   #8
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

I'm a huge fan of all the Oddworld games, though I have yet to play any of Stranger's Wrath. It's been in my top ten most wanted list for quite some time now, though.

As for the other games, I love the two Abe games, but I'm not really a big fan of Munch's game. I love Munch and his story, but the gameplay is definitely lacking something. But of course, part of that is because Lorne Lanning couldn't do what he wanted to with the game because of being rushed to make the X-Box Launch...
Old 03-24-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX111
As for the other games, I love the two Abe games, but I'm not really a big fan of Munch's game.
Same here. Same on the love of the story and that I think it just lacked some gameplay - oh, and, possibly more importantly, scenery. The textures were all the same in Munch's Oddyssee - I found that rather sad. Accordingly, I was rather nervous that Oddworld would be moving away from there "dropdead gorgeous screenshot every single second of gameplay" games... but Stranger is so PRETTY. And you're right, MO was a bit rushed. Sad. It would have been great if it had been the typical Oddworld style game - it would have instantly gotten majorly popular. Now, the early users of the X-Box might just be thinking "Oh, Oddworld? Wasn't that this sucky game I got? How the heck did they get the funds for another one? Not wasting my cash on that". To be a bit mean.

Seriously though, MO had little to save it but for the fact it was rushed, there are hardcore Oddworld fans, and the excellent FMV's.

Stranger isn't a weak protagonist, mind you, not like Munch or Abe - not physically. As for the psychological aspect, I'll leave that for you guys to discover... and I must say, I cried a river thanks to this game, and I'm insanely glad Oddworld is taking that path into psychology, into a new form of 'sick and twisted'.

I really, really love this game.

(Not that it isn't obvious)

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-24-2005, 03:52 PM   #10
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Well, aside from Tomb Raider and American McGee's Alice, I'm not so hot for platforming. However, if it's balanced out with story and exploration it's not so bad. I just hate platforming for its own sake, gets dull after a while.
Then I think you'd love Stranger's Wrath. I found it was excellent in that game. The previous ones would probably be too heavy on it for you, so I won't suggest them. But if you want pretty images, you need to get the Abe games, in all their 2D splendor, aswell as Stranger's Wrath.

I really have to stress that this game is something I've not been looking forward to. I've been sceptical, but at the same time had extremely high hopes - it is an Oddworld game, afterall. And then I started playing (and cheated a bit so I wouldn't die quite as much, I'll admit it, I'm just too new to the whole shooter idea, and I was too curious about the plotline! I don't regret it, though), and my first thought was "Oh, well, this is more than decent, and a great improvement since MO!"... and then I continued playing, and continued playing, and it consumed the hours of my life like nobody's business...

And then the plotline did a big whammo.

And since then and all the way up to the end, I have been in total love with the game.

In many ways, it is nothing like Oddworld before, and in many ways, it is exactly the same style... it's very hard to pinpoint, but it feels Oddworld. It took me a couple of forum threads on oddworld.au.com to realise there is no Gamespeak! The game just works without it! It is still Oddworld.

*takes a deep breath*

I love it.

*done stating the obvious now, returns to looking at the end of the game again*

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-24-2005, 03:58 PM   #11
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Heehee!
Abe's Exodus was so much fun - especially when you have to rescue your fellow Mudokons. I had hours of fun smacking them around until they were angry, consoling them until they were better, and then smacking them about again
Old 03-24-2005, 04:00 PM   #12
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Manhunter: On the side of the Glukkons for sheer spite, too?

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-24-2005, 04:10 PM   #13
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Manhunter: On the side of the Glukkons for sheer spite, too?

I like to possess the Glukkons and then make them jump off huge cliffs or get them eaten by those bad devil-dog dudes
Old 03-24-2005, 04:16 PM   #14
Feind der Anonymitaet!

*grin* Oh, so you were just on your own side, yes? *broader grin*

How many of the endings did you get to see?

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-24-2005, 04:28 PM   #15
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

I dearly loved the Abe games. Haven't played Munch or Stranger.

But good news, Majesco apparently has Oddworld Inhabitants under its belt, instead of EA.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:36 PM   #16
SamNMax

Quote:
And that answers the question how?
I'm saying that Chaos Theory is going to be a lot better than Stranger's Wrath.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:37 PM   #17
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
I'm saying that Chaos Theory is going to be a lot better than Stranger's Wrath.
But this isn't the hundreth incarnation of a "what is [going to be] your favorite game" thread. To that I doubt it.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-24-2005, 04:40 PM   #18
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
I dearly loved the Abe games.
Same. The black humour is just unrivalled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
But good news, Majesco apparently has Oddworld Inhabitants under its belt, instead of EA.
I'm not sure how good that news is - the attatched rumour isn't something that's making me go 'yay'. The character in question looks a lot like Stranger but is obviously a different species. It seems a bit unoriginal to me. But then, if it isn't a hoax, I do have the faith in Oddworld Inhabitants that the game will be awesome. So I guess I just contradicted myself.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-24-2005, 04:43 PM   #19
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
*grin* Oh, so you were just on your own side, yes? *broader grin*

How many of the endings did you get to see?
So far only the standard good ending - I never managed to rescue all 99 Mudokons. Its been a while since I played it, although as I type I'm getting the urge to turn on my PS2 and smack some more Mudokons around

I just wish I had an XBox so I can play Munch's Odyssey, although the 3D gameplay doesn't really sound attractive to me
Old 03-24-2005, 05:25 PM   #20
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
So far only the standard good ending - I never managed to rescue all 99 Mudokons.
What about the bad ending? And I think it's 200 Mudokons, not 99, if my memory serves correctly (Abe's Oddyssee was 99).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Its been a while since I played it, although as I type I'm getting the urge to turn on my PS2 and smack some more Mudokons around
Submit to the urge, Manhunter... you know you want to...!

Regarding 3D gameplay - in Munch it'll definitely not appeal to you, I reckon, if you've already got these thoughts now But Stranger's Wrath should do if you don't mind a lack of sadism on all levels of play, and the restriction instead to some psychological ouch.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢