You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Commander Keen is still for sale at 3D Realms!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2003, 07:48 AM   #1
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune
Default Commander Keen is still for sale at 3D Realms!

I found out you can still buy Commander Keen at 3D Realms! But....
Its 20$ for the CD with all five episodes and 10$ for each "saga" (Vorticons, Goodby Galaxy) in the download section....

I emailed to ask them is the CD had any extras or if was even boxed, they says the only difference is getting them on a CD, and paying for the shipping...

I always prefer the "real" thing but I might actually go for the download...

What would you prefer?

-A CD with the game and nothing else, probally in a paper sleeve or...
-Downloading them from the site and saving money on shipping?

I also found Keen Dreams a pay for downloas game here!

.... Swim swim hungry!

Hmm... I guess what I REALLY want to ask is:

If you find a vintage Apogee/Epic Megagames/Id Software game in a pay for download site would you go for it or try to get the "real thing" (CD, floppy disks)?

Hmm... now to find Jill of the Jungle!
Old 11-01-2003, 08:57 AM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I'd personally get it on CD since at least you're paying for something tangible; I can't imagine shipping would be that much. It's not too cool that they're charging that much, especially with all that saga business. GT Realms is known for still selling friggin every game they ever did.

I'd buy it from the developer, id Software. It's cheaper over at their store. http://www.idsoftware.com

The "id store" link is inactive, but there's a direct link to buy games in their section of the "id games->vintage" page.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-01-2003, 09:17 AM   #3
ACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I'd personally get it on CD since at least you're paying for something tangible; I can't imagine shipping would be that much. It's not too cool that they're charging that much, especially with all that saga business. GT Realms is known for still selling friggin every game they ever did.

I'd buy it from the developer, id Software. It's cheaper over at their store. http://www.idsoftware.com

The "id store" link is inactive, but there's a direct link to buy games in their section of the "id games->vintage" page.
Id Software has electronic download only... and slightly more expensive.... 5$ more for each saga...

I found a page with Jill of the Jungle here.
Old 11-01-2003, 03:47 PM   #4
Banned User

There's SIX episodes!
Old 11-01-2003, 04:06 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
Id Software has electronic download only... and slightly more expensive.... 5$ more for each saga...
Ah, ok. I was basically going by the price of $15 for the game itself as compared to $20 at 3DR. I don't know how all the saga/episode/whatever business works.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-01-2003, 04:35 PM   #6
Liver of Life

Quote:

I found a page with Jill of the Jungle here.
Wow! That's the third computer game I ever played! First being Prince, and second being Dave
Old 11-01-2003, 05:34 PM   #7
Banned User

Hah, I used to think Jill was sexy when I was a misguided little fisherman.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:43 PM   #8
ACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticgerbil
There's SIX episodes!
I know, but Commander Keen 6 Aliens Ate My Babysitter was made by FormGen not Apogee, and since the FormGen no longer exists, you can't buy it anymore...

Wait a minute.... There are more than six! if we include all 6 episodes, Keen Dreams and the Game Boy Color game, then there are 8!

I'm not sure if Commander Keen was ever on sale in Spain....

The only old Apogee/ Epic Megagames/ iD Software game I got (pre-Doom) came free with some magazines....

I was quite surprised to see Jazz Jackrabbit 2 at a bargain bin the other day...
Old 11-01-2003, 09:54 PM   #9

Quote:
I was quite surprised to see Jazz Jackrabbit 2 at a bargain bin the other day...
I actually see old Jazz hanging out in bargain bins quite often.

Old 11-01-2003, 11:10 PM   #10

I loved these old jump and run games! Especially Prince of Persia which i still play sometimes.
I think I'd pay for the download.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:13 PM   #11
ACK!

Ouch! They charge me 8$ for shipping for a 20$ game!! Hmm... Since I can only get Keen Dreams as a registered download, I think I will get the download instead... I emailed them just in case, if the CD is not even in a jewel case then I will download it from the store... That way I will have more money for the Jill of the Jungle trilogy.... Wait a minute! This guy has webpage and not an email? Argh!

Sigh, who says retro gaming is cheap?
Old 11-03-2003, 01:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Sigh, who says retro gaming is cheap?
DOES anyone say that?

Old 11-03-2003, 03:39 AM   #13
Under pressure.

Those prices are INSANE!!! 25 bucks for JackJazz Rabbit!? 22 bucks for One Must Fall!?

I'm going to charge only 15 bucks for my game (this includes shipping), and looking at these prices for old DOS games I forbid anyone to complain!

--Erwin
Old 11-03-2003, 04:03 AM   #14
ACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Those prices are INSANE!!! 25 bucks for JackJazz Rabbit!? 22 bucks for One Must Fall!?

I'm going to charge only 15 bucks for my game (this includes shipping), and looking at these prices for old DOS games I forbid anyone to complain!

--Erwin
Hmm I don't think I can get the Commander Keen Saga cheaper but Jill of the Jungle is going to be hard to find anywhere else... Maybe Ebay?

BTW 15 sound pretty fair to me..

Doh! I think I should find a demo first! What if it they don't work on my PC?
Old 11-03-2003, 04:10 AM   #15

Don't forget to try DOSBox!

Old 11-03-2003, 06:28 AM   #16
ACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Don't forget to try DOSBox!
I nearlly forgot about that program! Thanks, I haven't tried it yet, but since the FAQ says it supports all the Commander Keen games then I shouldn't worry...
BTW, I think I should forget about Ebay... the only auctions I found were way too expenisve...

Commander Keen is not only vintage gaming, but cult gaming too... A single episode on Ebay costs the same as the CD compilation at 3d Realms....

Hmm... Ok... I cant get Keen Dreams as a registered download only... and Keen I-V as a download or a cd... Either way I can't get ALL of them phisically...
Old 11-24-2003, 09:06 AM   #17
ACK!

Here it is! I finally got it!
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2003, 11:39 AM   #18
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Here it is! I finally got it!
Congrats, Tanu!
Old 11-27-2003, 10:31 PM   #19

Uh, Tanukitsune, can you actually play the games without them being v-v-v-ery l-l-l-laggy? (or whatever word would mean laggy in a solo game)
I couldn't, last time I tried.
And by the way, 20$ is a lot of money for one 10 year old game. I mean, for example, BASS is a lot newer, a lot better (I know, that's subjective), has probably cost a lot more to make, and it's freeware.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:42 PM   #20
ACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Uh, Tanukitsune, can you actually play the games without them being v-v-v-ery l-l-l-laggy? (or whatever word would mean laggy in a solo game)
I couldn't, last time I tried.
And by the way, 20$ is a lot of money for one 10 year old game. I mean, for example, BASS is a lot newer, a lot better (I know, that's subjective), has probably cost a lot more to make, and it's freeware.
Laggy? What do you mean? Most old games need programs to slow them down not speed them up...
It works fine...
And the price depends on the company some are more generous than others, and I am getting nearly the whole saga...
On Ebay it might cost a LOT more, and then again maybe not...
On another site they sell half the episodes for 15$....