You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Is Tim Schafer a Genius?

View Poll Results: Is Tim Schafer a genius
yes 55 67.07%
no 18 21.95%
Tim who? 9 10.98%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
guybrush_guy

Default Is Tim Schafer a Genius?

I think so, i cant wait until psychonauts come out. I'll be in the Caribbean catching drug Lords when it get released so I'm going to have to pre order it and have someone pick it up for me.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
Doctor Watson

He's God.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
Homer of Kittens

Tim Schafer is the most creative guy in the industry today. Him and Will Write are The 2 best in my book.

Firefox rules
Old 02-02-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
merely human

I think 'genius' is WAAAY too good a word to describe him. He's certainly original, creative, and is full of imagination, but he is not a genius. I prefer Warren Spector and Peter Molynooo in terms of exciting new concepts and re-thinking ideas of play, but I wouldn't consider them 'geniuses' either. 'Brilliant', yes.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-02-2005, 01:46 PM   #5
Doctor Watson

I think he's closer to geniusness than non-geniusness, so I picked "Yes."
Old 02-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #6
merely human

Well if you're gonna talk about 'near-genius' I'd still pick Warren Spector and Peter Mollynooo, on the basis that they both re-assess the constructs of what games can be and how they can be. Tim Schafer is brilliant at coming up with original and inventive themes, but I haven't heard of him going above and beyond that yet.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-02-2005, 02:02 PM   #7

Not enough body of work to call him a genius. I think Sid Meier is the only one whom I'd call being close to a genius, but even his body of work is limited. No geniuses a a bunch of briliant people including TS.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I disagree, Trep. What is the superlative of "brilliant"? genius! I think that Warren Spector, Peter Molyneux, Will Wright, Sid Meier, Tim Schafer, and Shigeru Miyamoto are all geniuses. All these men have taken games to another level. They are all leaders with a vision. They have left a legacy for us mere mortals who play their games. I don't feel genius is too strong a word for that.

FGM
Old 02-02-2005, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Well if you're gonna talk about 'near-genius' I'd still pick Warren Spector and Peter Mollynooo, on the basis that they both re-assess the constructs of what games can be and how they can be. Tim Schafer is brilliant at coming up with original and inventive themes, but I haven't heard of him going above and beyond that yet.
I'd say that Warren spector is good based on his Ultima games and the original System Shock but I think Peter Molyneux is way overrated. Populous gamers were great but since then, I don't think he created any game that I'd personally consider great or genre breaking. Black and White was a big bore. Dungeon Kepper was ok but nothing special. I wan't say anythgina bout Fable becasue I haven't played it but the premise doesn't really interest me. Syndicate is another of his games that's praised a lot but I haven't played it. Over all his career is very inconsistent so i wouldn't put him up there with people like Spector and Sid Meier.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
I think Peter Molyneux is way overrated. Populous gamers were great but since then, I don't think he created any game that I'd personally consider great or genre breaking. Black and White was a big bore. Dungeon Kepper was ok but nothing special. I wan't say anythgina bout Fable becasue I haven't played it but the premise doesn't really interest me. Syndicate is another of his games that's praised a lot but I haven't played it. Over all his career is very inconsistent so i wouldn't put him up there with people like Spector and Sid Meier.
Syndicate is great, and I think he also had a lot to do with Theme Park, which was really quite a special game when it came out.

It's been a long time since he's done anything really interesting, though. A lot of people are giving him the credit for Fable, which is not really fair to the people who came up with the concept and worked on it for several years before Lionhead and Peter Molyneux came into the picture (I'm talking about Simon and Dene Carter).
Old 02-02-2005, 02:20 PM   #11
Umbilicus Mundi

One thing about Spector is confusing -- he seems to be given credit by the public for more than he has actually done. This miscrediting occasionally pops up at TTLG.com forums and I don't even remember any more in which games he actually did game design.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
One thing about Spector is confusing -- he seems to be given credit by the public for more than he has actually done. This miscrediting occasionally pops up at TTLG.com forums and I don't even remember any more in which games he actually did game design.
Erkki, you have a point. People often give Spector credit for creating games like Ultima Underworld and System Shock. I certainly thought he did those games. I just checked Mobygames and he wasn't the lead designer in those games at all. So never mind about what I said about Spector.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #13
merely human

So all this means that Spector and Mollynoooo are no more genius than Schafer, right? I mean, what IS a genius? And what qualifies someone to be a genius?

I mean, I have a vague idea, but I also know that 'genius' is not a title I toss around lightly.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #14

Quote:
So all this means that Spector and Mollynoooo are no more genius than Schafer, right? I mean, what IS a genius? And what qualifies someone to be a genius?

I mean, I have a vague idea, but I also know that 'genius' is not a title I toss around lightly.
Now you are making me ponder and I just so hate ponering. I'm too lazy to ponder.

I think we can say that Tim Schaffer is one of the best adventure game designers ever, right? Does that make him a genius? If he's a genius then you have to say people like Jane Jansen, and Roberta Williams (who almost single handedly invented the graphic adventure genre) are also geniuses. What about Ron Gilbert? Al Lowe? etc. etc. I think I'm with Trep on this one. For me to call anyone a genius, that person needs to be damn special.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #15
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
I mean, what IS a genius?
A genius is someone who comes up with the original idea of making a game based on mexican flolklore, film noir and art deco that takes place in the underworld

But really I'm not sure whom/what I consider geniuses either, except myself of course, but I'm lazy so I don't count.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #16
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
I'd say that Warren spector is good based on his Ultima games and the original System Shock but I think Peter Molyneux is way overrated. Populous gamers were great but since then, I don't think he created any game that I'd personally consider great or genre breaking. Black and White was a big bore. Dungeon Kepper was ok but nothing special. I wan't say anythgina bout Fable becasue I haven't played it but the premise doesn't really interest me. Syndicate is another of his games that's praised a lot but I haven't played it. Over all his career is very inconsistent so i wouldn't put him up there with people like Spector and Sid Meier.
Was Molyneux at all involved with Magic Carpet? That was a Bullfrog game, but did everything Bullfrog do involve Molyneux?

In any case, Magic Carpet kicked major ass. In terms of its innovation, it was the first game I can think of to have deformable terrain, and I don't believe any game has done deformable terrain on the same scale since. With the exception of Magic Carpet 2.

So if Molyneux WAS involved, that's pretty brilliant. Genius I may have to think about.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #17
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Both Syndicate and Dungeon Keeper are fine examples of what games should aspire to be. DK is one of my favorite games ever. Even B&W was a great game albeit very flawed. I personally didn't like Fable that much. I was very bored with the lack of story telling, and the repetitive gameplay. There were some neat ideas, but just like Spiderman 2, it was so repetitive and lacked personality, I really didn't care half way through.

Firefox rules
Old 02-02-2005, 03:54 PM   #18
merely human

Does a genius have to make a game or whatever that you yourself personally enjoyed? Is perfection a qualifier for 'genius'? What about geniuses that create/invent/discover something, and whatever it is isn't perfect but it is still open to improvement and modifications? Would that person still be a genius?
Old 02-02-2005, 04:08 PM   #19
furryyellowthing

Send a message via Yahoo to BoyToy

For me, a genius is someone who has an idea, that nobody else could have had.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:12 PM   #20
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Boy Toy - I agree - and Peter Molyneux did that. He may have bitten off more than he could chew, but he took the high road and with original ideas tried what no one else was doing. And how could anyone say Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of both Mario and Zelda, isn't a genius? And Will Wright with The Sims? Damn, he's coining money with those. And those followed the Sim City(s), along with Sid Meier at first, who then went on his own, with Civilizations, etc.

For me genius isn't just a measure of intelligence, but in this case, a brilliant idea that is taken to the max to lead in a different direction. It's having a vision of what something could be, if done in a new way. It's what makes them the creators of the future of gaming.

FGM